Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Bottlerocket question (jedi?)
  • jackoinmoss
    Free Member

After missing out on most of the frames I have been watching I am thinking about a bottlerocket.

Jedi with luck will be able to answer a couple of questions:

Can I run a front mech?
    Will it end up lighter than my 36.5lb Bullit?
    What travel forks seem best as a compromise between going down and the reality of riding back up?

Any input welcome.

jimjam
    Free Member

Yes.
    No.
    U-turn Lyrik or 36 talas.

jackoinmoss
    Free Member

Thanks Jimjam.

Why so heavy though?

The frame is a pound lighter than bullit.
    Forks would be a pound lighter.

Was hoping it could be built under 35lb?

AlexSimon

Surely if your forks are a pound lighter and your frame is a pound lighter and all else is equal, it will weigh 34.5lb or am I missing something?

GW
    Free Member

is Jedi doing basic arithmetic courses now too? 😯

jackoinmoss
    Free Member

Alex.

Yes that is what I thought.

not that hung up on weight as long as it is a bit lighter.

Manufacturers often seem to make up weights though or weigh while helium balloons are attached.

Just wanted to make sure.

jimjam
    Free Member

jackoinmoss

Why so heavy though?

The frame is a pound lighter than bullit.

The stated weight of the bottlerocket is sans shock, the stated weight of the current bullit is with shock. With a coil shock the br frame weighs the guts of ten pounds.

jackoinmoss
    Forks would be a pound lighter
    Was hoping it could be built under 35lb?

Didn’t realise you’d be changing forks, just assumed it would be the build from your bullit. No point getting really hung up on weight, based on the ones I saw when I worked in a bike shop they generally just scrape under the 40lb mark with reasonable parts. You’ll want air fork, shock, lightweight wheels + tyres and an xt or similar spec drivetrain to get it sub 35lbs.

goog
    Free Member

they’ve got a reet flexy rear end ! <jedi>

julianwilson
    Free Member

GW – Member

is Jedi doing basic arithmetic courses now too?

…since when has conventional arithmetic had anything to do with the bike weights bandied about on this forum? 😆

jackoinmoss
    Free Member

Going off the idea,

2007 bullit with with coil totems is just a bit to much bike.

Probably should buy a five but kind of wanted something different.
    If I had bought the Heckler in the first place would probably still want a change by now but I think it would have matched my ability a bit better.

Other plans involve a Nuke proof mega.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

With a coil shock the br frame weighs the guts of ten pounds

😯

mboy
    Free Member

They’re not lighter than a Bullit, quoted weight for Bottlerockt on Transition website is excluding shock.

Though having just checked the website, it does look like they’ve updated and slimmed the frame down slightly. I know an old one, with coil shock, was 10lb near as. My old Bullit with coil shock was actually only just over 9lb!

Sweet little frames though

EDIT: WOW, the new frame (on Transition’s website) does look like quite an update, two different mounts for the shock (different travel), hydroformed tubes, 16″ seat tube (not 15″) so you can actually pedal the thing if needed and you’re over 5ft8, 31.6 seatpost (so you can run a dropper post), tapered headtube etc… http://www.transitionbikes.com/Bikes_BottleRocket.cfm

16stonepig
    Free Member

Ooh, adjustable travel was the one thing missing for me. Now I might have to give it some serious thought…

jackoinmoss
    Free Member

To heavy. It is a no go.

Back to ebay to find an alternative.

If I don’t find one before June I will buy a Mega.

GW
    Free Member

16″ seat tube (not 15″) so you can actually pedal the thing if needed and you’re over 5ft8

with a 410mm post a 6ft rider should be able get the saddle up high enough on a 15″ frame. (I’m 5’11” and ride a 14″ frame hardtail)
    if you want a light bottlerocket you’ve probably chosen the wrong frame for your riding.

mboy
    Free Member

Must have longer legs than you GW, cos I’m same height but a 410mm post is only just long enough on a 16″ frame…

Definitely loving the look of the new Bottlerocket though…

jedi

my bottlerocket weighs 35lb with coli lyriks and mavic dh rims. rides sweet and the back end feels floppy after years on a demo9 🙂

jackoinmoss
    Free Member

Going to hang on to bullit I think and use parts from hardtail to build a more xc 4-5″ kind of bike. rather than trying to get on bike to do it all.

plugs for your for sale items welcome.

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

How about a Mythic Spitfire? The reviews i’ve been reading about it sounds like it can ride uphill fine and still hammer the downhills.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Bottlerocket question (jedi?)’ is closed to new replies.