Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Bose Wave System, any good?
  • ooOOoo
    Free Member

I've been getting into little class-d amps. Awesome value for money.

jahwomble
    Free Member

Most studio engineers I've met(and I've met and worked with a lot), unless they are at the very top of their game, are pretty much idiots or failed musos anyway

"Bose seems good enough for the Institute of Acoustics to use"….. for a conference room pa maybe……..

Nowt really wrong with bose, but they are really overpriced for what they are, pretty and convenient though.

Philips and Denon(especially the dm series which has been winning best buy awards left right and centre for the best part of a decade now) and will have comparable boxes in the same price bracket if not quite a lot less,and will probably give better value for money. I'd look at them as well so you pays your money and oh **** it, get whatever you want if you like it.:)

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

nobtwidler

RopeyReignRider – Standing up for Sound Engineers here they have a good idea what sounds nice rather than what sounds correct.

I'm not having a go at studio engineers at all, and do appreciate their skill – however in my opinion that is a creative thing as opposed to application of science etc

avdave2

RopeyReignRider Bose seems good enough for the Institute of Acoustics to use maybe you need to join and put them right.

I'm not saying that all BOSE products are rubbish either; they do make some good kit but bear in mind that PA stuff really is relatively simple in comparison.

Most acoustics or electronics people have absolutely no idea what sounds

I worked for Arcam for a bit and this simply isn't true.. the design engineers produce stuff to a mathematical ideal yes but then it undergoes months and months of very subjective listening tests etc

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

I'd also like to point out that I believe the hi-fi world (magazines in particular) have a lot to answer for in terms of mis-informing people about technologies etc.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

ooOOoo – class D amps are very interesting, although I suspect that the class D amps available aren't true class-D.

My final dissertation was based upon utilising a TI Class D chip (about the size of your little finger nail) in order to obtain about 70W class A equivalent power.

It was really interesting and I really hoped to get it working, however the chip always melted 🙁

Texas Instruments withdrew the chip shortly afterwards…. can't help thinking it never worked properly :-/

ooOOoo
    Free Member

I've just built one of these RRR, 2x25W @4ohm running off a 12v battery!

41Hz AMP32

I now prefer it to the 640a I bought off a mate at cambridge audio.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Cool!!!

It's interesting to see that it now works!

To be honest I've not worked in audio electronics for a long while… it was back in 2002 when I tried to build something similar for my dissertation.

Really impressive stuff though..

I'm intrigued by the lack of mahoosive heatsink too.. the ones I tested needed f£ck loads in order to remain stable..

What sort of load can you drive with that?

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

..sorry, just noticed you said 2*25W at 4ohm…. amazing really..

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

I might have to get one of those kits… shame they didn't exist when I was studying.. I might have got a First 😉

ooOOoo
    Free Member

I haven't fitted a heatsink yet but it's been driving some gale mini monitors in my lounge pretty loud, and hasn't cut out so far! I'm planning to build a proper alu case soon whcih should do the job.

These are based on tripath chips, (class-t) who went bust apparently but loads of PCBS around using the old stock. I got one of these first off ebay
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MKll-Tripath-TA2024-fully-finished-tested-pcb-2x15watt_W0QQitemZ250538372097QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers?hash=item3a55402c01

avdave2

jahwomble the pa really wasn't for vocal reinforcement, the size of the room didn't warrant one, it was for their audio demos and therefore had too meet their exact criteria, hence we did not supply it for them.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

in no hifi enthusiast – but I think anyone can tell on listening that even this fairly basic set-up is better than any mini system/ compact type thing you could buy for similar money

No, it's just the placebo effect, apparently… 😉

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Bose Wave System, any good?’ is closed to new replies.