Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Border terriers and allergy sufferer
  • Wookster

Hello, a quick question to Border owners. My eldest son is allergic to dogs. But it’s really only certain breeds, ie my parents have two yorkies which he has no problems with at all he can spend the day playing with them and he’s grand, but the Lab who he adores will have him looking like rocky in an hour if I don’t dose him up.

Does any one have any experience like this with borders? We will be visiting one soon so I’ll know what he’s like but I thought I’d ask the internets best bOrder forum!

Thanks

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

We have friends that look after Molly (our unstripped BT) one of whom (the lady of the house) suffers terribly with dander from their doodle. No such problems have been reported when Molly has had an overnight there. Seems random though with folk we know – so you’ll still have to wait and see I think.

woody21
    Free Member

I think the allergy may be caused by some dogs shedding their hair and others don’t – yorkies don’t

JohnClimber
    Free Member

No problems with allergies in our house with our Red Grizzle Border Terrier, the wire hair isn’t a problem.

Archie

But the hair loss is out of this world.

Don’t believe anyone who says Border Terriers don’t shed hair. We could knit you one within a week of hoover emptying.

There are loads of Border owners on here, what area are you from I’m sure you can see and spend time with one of ours before you buy.

Drac

I may be mistaken but I’m sure I read somewhere that it’s something to do with their saliva as opposed to the hair itself. As they lick themselves and the hair floats around it spreads the dried saliva.

I could have course have it all wrong.

Wookster

Thanks guys for the info.

John I’m in Southampton so the bottom end of the country!!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Wookster, MulletusMaximus who used to post here is down your direction (Hants) and has a BT. If you’re a twitter user he’s @SteveDance18

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Hi Wookster, both my wife and I are allergy sufferers (me hay fever, wife Asthma and hay fever) and no issues with our Border terrier.. cracking little dogs BUT read up on this first as our little girl suffers from it…. http://www.borderterrier-cecs.com/

Saying that love our too bits.

Wookster

Thanks chaps.

Monkey feet that’s a awful thing to suffer from. 🙁

Thanks for the info on hay fever etc too fella.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Border terriers and allergy sufferer’ is closed to new replies.