Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Bontrager XR4 users?
  • mactheknife

Question if u dont mind, How large do these tyres come up.

I have read that the 2.35 are pretty wide volume wise.

Would a 2.2 be better for a general x country tyre on the front or go with a 2.35.

Ta 🙂

postierich
    Free Member

The 2.35 are big struggle, with clearance in a number of my bike frames,good tyre though tubeless mine.

mactheknife

Cool, ill take a punt on a 2.2 and se how it goes.

barzy38
    Free Member

i’ve got a 2.35 xr4 on the front and a 2.3 xr2 on the back.
    they are both massive.
    if i’d known how big, i’d have got the 2.1’s
    they’re on stans arch rims.
    i’ve just measured the xr4 as being 62mm wide.
    they replaced NN’s.
    the front has added to the climbing time on a big hill, but they’re twice as sturdy and a nicer feel overall.
    tubless, 22 front, 25 rear

Scamper
    Free Member

2.1’s on stan’s arch – pleased i didn’t go bigger, as plenty of volume

I’ve read the latest one’s are a litle slimmer, mind?

Wozza
    Free Member

I have a set of 2.4 and a set of 2.2. While riding there’s no difference in grip, steering or rolling resistance. The only problem is getting the 2.4’s through one of my frames is a bit close. Go for the 2.2 and have a bit of mud clearance.

chiefgrooveguru

They measure up very close to their stated width, which makes them huge compared to many tyres which tend to be a size or so smaller. The side knobs stick out further sideways on the new ones so the carcass volume and height is a little less. The 2.35 has a stiffer carcass than the 2.2 so you can run lower pressures but I still run the 2.2s in the mid-high 20s. The new TLR one is claimed to roll faster like the Team Issue (120tpi) version but be tougher like the Expert (60tpi) version and the new compound better in the wet.

I’d use the 2.35 if you tend to ride downhill v fast on a big bike, are a heavy or harder hitting riding or it’s much more rock and much less mud in your locale, otherwise the 2.2 do a fine job of beating the usual suspects (2.35 High Roller etc) on most fronts. They roll really well considering how chunky they are. I run the rear one the same way as the front, as I don’t need more driving traction and the better rolling and braking is more useful.

br
    Free Member

They roll really well considering how chunky they are

Hmm, tbh I’ve found them about the slowest tyre this side of a Swampthing – that doesn’t mean I don’t like them; as I think they’re a great front trail-centre/rocky tyre.

Del

i’ve yet to try ’em on the front but i’m looking that way as i bought 4×2.35 from allterraincycles for 13 quid each posted. don’t reckon they’ll fit comfortably in the rear on my five, but i’ve been running one in the rear of my P7 for a while and like the volume of it muchly.
    sidewalls are reputedly weak on the older ones that i have, better on the new ones by all accounts.
    i like ’em, particularly at the price. i was previously using the blue groove/nevegal combination.

bonchance
    Free Member

2.2 tubeless on a 19mm ust rim was nice. Phenomenal grip and good rolling. It did have a strangely wooden feel but didn’t actually impact grip or traction. This was the tlr team issue.

I couldn’t quite feel the need on the back and tried the xr3 tlr team at 2.0 or 2.1 nice but not much volume. I reckon the 2.3 xr3 would make a good partner for the next few months assuming it dries up and can handle a bit of mud.. good luck! Good value tyres and pretty light compared to others..

Edit – rear rolled better and drifted nicely but could still hang on when pushed in corners. Front was about best I would hope for in a tough grippy tyre..rolls surprisingly well considering. Tube less low pressures might be key to getting handling easy rolling on the xr4..

chiefgrooveguru

I have a Swampthing 2.35 42/60a pair for when the mud becomes ridiculously bad – put them back on before the FoD enduro race, then swapped the rear back to the XR4. The XR4s make it feel like you have a substantial tailwind in comparison! However, mine are the pre-2012 2.2 Team TLR – so they are the quickest rolling of the whole lot (due to the carcass changing, not the tread/compound) and I’ve only ever run them tubeless, mostly on Flow rims (suitably wide!)

The weird thing is that despite being targeted as a tyre for rocky trails they work really well in the dirt, roots and mud of the woodland singletrack I’m often riding. Awesome in the snow too, floaty driftastic grip…

chunkypaul
    Free Member

my 2.25’s are 58mm wide and the 2.35’s 61mm wide – run ’em tubeless on flows

emac65
    Free Member

They come up B-I-G ! That said, they are a great front tyre but I wouldn’t run two of them on a bike as they’re pretty slow rolling…….

mboy
    Free Member

Couldn’t get on with mine. They come up very big for a 2.2″ indeed (so big neither my hardtail nor my full sus could run one on the rear), bigger than 2.2″ Rubber Queens by a margin, probably almost as big as 2.5″ Maxxis High Rollers but suitably lighter. The 2.35’s are monsters!

Anyway, ran one on the front of both bikes, and no matter what I tried, I just couldn’t get on with them. They didn’t seem to bite very much for me, quick, light and comfy but didn’t feel they had very much bite. Have since replaced with a 2.2″ Rubber Queen on my hardtail, and a 2.25″ Michelin Wildrock’r on my full sus, both offer a lot more grip, roll about as well and are almost as big.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

I’ve got the 2012 version in 2.2 flavour – it’s a nice width, not too big. Similar in volume to a 2.35 High Roller if that’s any help.

BigJohn

I love them I have 2.35 team issues and I think they roll very well. I recently got some 2.2 2012s (team issue again) and I think they’re even more secure in mud etc.

I ride a Cotic soul and 130 menjas.

EDIT I just read this and I cant bekieve how piust I am at 7 oclock. Beer fest at the sun in stafford and a great band on a t 4 pm.

mactheknife

Just put the order in for a 2.2 team issue 2012 for the front on my 5 spot.

Thanks for all the help guys. Will give these a blast round the highlands in a few weeks and see how they hold up 😀

duir
    Free Member

Just put the order in for a 2.2 team issue 2012 for the front on my 5 spot.

Thanks for all the help guys. Will give these a blast round the highlands in a few weeks and see how they hold up

How did you get on?

mactheknife

Had the 2.2 on the front for the first time last night, initially i did not agree with all the reviews saying they come up very large, but they are about right i would say, the 2.35 would be the same as the minion 2.5 i use for going to the Alps.

Ok from one ride only on a mixture of damp/dry ground, lots of both long technical climbs and steepy techy downs and some tarmac to get me to the area i was riding in.

These were a bit of a revelation in how much difference a good tyre can make to your riding, it rolled extremely quickly, not once did i feel any drag or resistance.

Grip wise i could not believe how much i had on the front, it was so confidence inspiring. Point it downhill and on everything it just felt like it wanted to hold on and not let go. No sideways slips, Just pure grippyness 🙂

Cornering, dunno im not really good enough to notice the difference but if the grip is anything to go by then my assumption is they get a 10 / 10.

So far im a very happy chappy. They were everything i was hoping for and more 😀

This along with a Specialized Captain 2.0 on the back and i sem to have found exactly what i was looking for. Cannot recommend this tyre enough……..SO FAR 🙂

BigAirNig
    Free Member

Just fitted my XR4 Team issue TLR 2.2 > respectable weight of 680g .
    It went on tubeless – with my American Classic MTB26 Tubeless wheels.
    Inflated first time with a little soapy water to seat the beads easily using a track pump only – BUT a number of pin-holes for the Stans sealant to fill and that took some 3-4 goes shaking it around.

Hopefully OK now but will check later on/tomorrow. I could actually hear the air rushing out of the holes at first…..

Some reviews state how large this tyre is volume-wise > but I found it smaller than expected.

Has the 54-559 size written on it’s side.

Smaller than my Nobby Nic Pacestar 2.25 that it replaces and also smaller than the Maxxis ADvantage 2.25 60a on my rear wheel. I hoped it would come out about the same, but no.

Hope it rides as well as reviewed though, despite the pin-holes and sizing issue. I am looking for a more controlled front end grip that the NN which I felt a little vague in turns at times.

bonchance
    Free Member

My interest is piqued!

anyone have experience to compare;

XR4 2012 Team TLR 2.2 (nice but little ‘wooden’ and could be faster given lack of bite – no shortage of outright grip though)

to a

Conti Rubber Queen BC or MK II BC 2.2 (2.4 RQ silly heavy?)

I’m looking for perfection on the trail side of XC 🙂

Is the RQ draggy? Anyone run Xking upfront in Autumn/winter?

I gave up on Conti while back, but hearing about BC made in Germany ones has got me interested again.

simonm
    Free Member

same opinion as mboy. XR4 a ok all rounder, nothing to write home about. RQ 2.2 BC rune tubeless (not UST version) best all round tyre ever. Fast, gripps realyl well off camber and on roots, love them.

sparkyrhino

2.3 on the front and 2.2 on rear,good and comfy on a h/tail,and cheap(all terrain).done me proud this summer 😯

marcus63
    Free Member

I have just bought the XR MUD Team Issue 2.0 for the rear and will be giving it a go at the weekend and will probably get the XR4 2.2 for the front to complete my winter set up next week. Let you know how i get on.

RustySpanner

Just worn out my first XR4.

Have to say, it’s the best tyre I’ve used in 20 odd years.

Can’t fault the grip, inspires confidence, comfy, large volume, predictable, rolls well, tough.
    Works on rocks and dirt, ok in mud, grips like a Cinder but rolls like an Ignitor.

Shame they’ve put the prices up, we should have kept quiet.

Have got a Minion DHF Supertacky hanging up in the garage which will go on the front tonight – not looking forward the extra drag tbh, but it needs wearing out.

Only complaint is that Trek use the spelling ‘tire’ on the website. 😀

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Bontrager XR4 users?’ is closed to new replies.