Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Bonking sucks
  • seizednuts
    Free Member

Usualy dabble in the dark side a couple of times a week. Today how ever decided to have a propper ride with a mate who does triathlons in hind site not a clever move.

75 miles later! I bonked badly, had to push up the last hill and worst of all needed to get a lift home from his place as I was pretty spaced out.
    Thought I had enough fluids and food. Thing is when it happens there's nothing you can do and its SH*T. Have done plenty of epics off road so whats the diffence?

Worst of all I might have to doff my cap to the dark side ( or helmet)
    😀

0091paddy
    Free Member

Triathlete. Pfft. Did he ride on the front the whole time I guess?

Always drink and eat before you get hungry. 500ml/hour +/- liquids, and don't push yourself too hard, spin gears, rather than push.

Road rides tend to be of a more sustained pace, whereas for an epic off road ride you'll be taking it slightly more easily.

The terrain will also influence if you 'hit the wall' or not.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Last weekend I was knackered at the end of a fantastic ride in the lakes. Stood in the car park I was hungry but then all I could see were stars and had a bit of a wobble but seeing as I didn't fall over I have decided I was perfectly nourished for the ride (and no more) 🙂
    Oddest feeling was eating like a pig in the evening and feeling painfully stuffed but still craving food.
    Great day all in all!

Smee
    Free Member

You're doing it wrong. 😉

rowemasters
    Free Member

For a training ride, I eat a muesli bar of around 200 cals every 45 mins and take on a glug of water every 20 mins or so.

If it's a faster sportive effort or hotter weather (NE Scotland wtf is it ever warm :evil:)I make sure I'm on the Drink powder mix with a Caffine gel / energy bar mix.

It's a bit of trial and error. You've got to get it wrong before you get it right. 😆

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Bonking sucks’ is closed to new replies.