Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Bonkers benefits system
  • Farmer_John
    Free Member

So some lottery prize winner apparently snapped his cruciate ligament and had to "give up work". As a result he's been collecting diability benefits – for 15 years since.

He's reported to have checked his lotto numbers having "dropped off his wife at work".

He's now getting his knee patched up, which is presumably something the NHS could have done in the first place.

Should we be sending him a charge for the repayment of his benefits on the basis that he didn't have the operation in the first place and if he can drop his wife off at work every morning he could have presumably managed to get himself to work as well?

Benefits claimant wins Lotto

Shandy
    Free Member

I was about to post this in the knee injuries thread. 15 years on the DLA for a snapped cruciate, there are people playing professional rugby with no cruciates at all FFS!!!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

surely any banker worth his salt could steal more than that in a few minutes ?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    gonefishin
    Free Member

I'm confused.

Bloke gets injured and claims disability benefit.
    Bloke subsequently wins large amounts of money.
    Bloke cancels the his benefits and looks forward the his knee surgery that has apparently taken 15years to arrange.

In what way is this bonkers? Aside from your apparent desire to reclaim benefits that we have to assume he was entitled to at the time, I see nothing wrong with this.

Do you think that those who claim unemployment benefit should be forced to pay that back if then get a job?

skidartist
    Free Member

The NHS might have had good clinical reasons for not operating. Although he'd like to go private for an op theres no reason to believe that a private hospital will offer one or that it would be successful (but so long as his money is good I'm sure they'll have a stab at it whether its in his best interest or not). Regardless, his declared fitness for work, or not, would come from his doctor not from the benefits agency.

docrobster
    Free Member

I wonder which surgeon can cure his 15 yrs of chronic knee pain, which may or may not have anything to do with a previous cruciate injury.

Shandy
    Free Member

You shouldn't be entitled to DLA for a snapped cruciate because there are countless other jobs that you can perform perfectly well without one.

cynic-al
    Free Member

He'll probably sue the NHS for not sorting it more quickly FFS.

Rich
    Free Member

DLA isn't about not being able to work, in fact it is quite feasible to have a full time job and still get DLA, just for clarity.

tails
    Free Member

What pisses me off me most about lotto is that it's always old people who win. Be far better going to a twenty something like myself.

tiger_roach
    Free Member

Like this chap?

jj55

the politics of jealousy………………..

Onzadog
    Free Member

Is it that odd people win the lottery a disproportionate amount of the time or that they play it a disproportionate amount of the time, or that there's a disproportionate number of odd people residing in this country?

Or that normally people winning isn't news worthy, or that they would choose the "no publicity" option?

Kevevs
    Free Member

I don't know the guy at all, but I'm certain he is a very bad person.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

That is probably the worst example I've seen of why the benefits system is "bonkers".

You need to try harder Farmer_John……… single mothers with 6+ children, is always good 💡

dyna-ti

Sounds like sour grapes to me.
    Why cant some people just be happy for someone elses good fortune 😕

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

single mothers with 6+ children, is always good

No come on; single asylum seeking crack addict prostitute mother with 6 children living in a 20-bedroom mansion in Hampstead and having a Rolls Royce as a Motability vehicle whilst simultaneously claiming £63,000 a day in benefits has got to be better than that, surely?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

He's now getting his knee patched up, which is presumably something the NHS could have done in the first place.

The problem with 'presuming' and being presumptuous and judgemental, is that it is often based on complete ignorance of the facts. I see now that he has received 6 knee operations preformed by the NHS, and was told would have to wait until he was 55 for a knee replacement.

Peter has already had six knee ops but was told he'd have to wait until he's 55 to have a joint on the NHS

There is absolutely no way that a joiner can work with a buggered up knee. And since the NHS has preformed 6 operations on his knee and promised him a joint replacement in 5 years time, I think we can safely assume that his knee is indeed buggered up.

So any work that he might have been able to do during this time would had to have been unskilled. I am fairly confident that employers up and down the country aren't rushing to offer work to unskilled middle-aged men with buggered up knees.

I am also fairly confident there is not an abundance of unfilled vacancies for work which requires no skill at all, and for the employee to merely sit on his arse all day.

As far as retraining a middle-aged man is concerned, the 6 knee operations would suggest that sorting out his knee was an ongoing process. So retraining a middle-aged man without having come to any definitive conclusion concerning his mobility, would have made no sense…..and could perhaps be described as rather "bonkers".

Your apparent disapproval of the man's ability to "drop his wife off at work", suggests that you see driving a car as exactly the same as standing up and carrying the weight of your body. You obviously have no idea whether or not it caused him any pain or discomfort, nor whether he could have kept driving continuously throughout a typical 8 hour day.

But perhaps your snidey dig at his ability to drive was because you resented him owning a car ? I personally recognise that for a person in his situation, having a car is particularly essential, and I hope he received an allowance to help him with the costs of running a car.

On the other hand I might have got it all wrong and what you really object to Farmer_John, is the fact that his wife had a job ? …..perhaps you would have preferred if both of them were claiming benefits ? …..do tell

I actually believe you owe this guy an apology Farmer_John, because if there is anything about this story which proves that the 'system is bonkers', it is the suggestion that you need to win the lottery before you can get your knee sorted out.

Waddya reckon ?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I've just bashed my knee into the corner of the bath. I hope I win £11 million quid on the lottery tonight.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Bonkers benefits system’ is closed to new replies.