Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Bombproof sub 1kg UST tyres?
  • 13thfloormonk

Sigh….

After months of smugness about my trouble free tubeless experiences, karma has caught up with me big style.

Although ghetto was working for me fine, I was damaging a lot of tyres and got sick of the smell of sealant, so went UST. Althought it meant heavier tyres, it also meant no sealant, unclogged valves, and everything was hunky-dory.

However I have obviously totally savaged my rear ADvantage, having patched two holes its still going down. What XC-ish UST equivalents are there in the 800-900g range? Is it simply a weight thing, or do some brands offer better 'armouring' than others?

I liked the look of the Panaracer Rampage UST but its no heavier than the ADvantage which makes me wonder if I'll damage it just as fast.

Almost ready to go full circle and put tubes back in 🙄

neil853
    Free Member

I'm not a small man and i've ran 2.4 MK's for a while at low pressures, they are around that weight i think?

13thfloormonk

ha! I forgot to check the MKs, although would be looking for a narrower size, wonder what the 2.2 is like…

edit: hmm, they're actually lighter than the ADvantages, for a bigger size, which would suggest thinner sidewalls.

WackoAK
    Free Member

I know it's a cliché but the Conti Vert Pro 2.3 in UST is robust and sub 1kg.

glenh
    Free Member

MKs have paper thin sidewalls.

You could try Spesh tyres with 2bliss tubeless bead and armadillo sidewalls.

p.s. I always use sealant in UST tyres too to seal and small holes. Curious why you wouldn't.

nickc

it also meant no sealant,

Really? I use latex in my UST tyres, why wouldn't you?

13thfloormonk

No Sealant because:

a) when I did use it (Joe's, Wheelmilk, Stan's) it never worked, even on tiny pinhole style holes. Have no idea what I'm doing to buck an obvious trend. The wheelmilk solidified too quickly, the rest just didn't seal anything.

b) when I did puncture and the sealant had failed, putting a tube in was a sticky mess. I figured since the sealant wasn't actually doing anything, I might as well get rid and make for easier repairs.

Glenh, thats a good suggestion, I suppose I would need sealant with those though?

Jim-bob
    Free Member

Conti rubber queen 2.2 UST? About 850g an end. Still waiting on the black chili variant but the standard compound is good enough so far. They're pretty tight to get on but no problems on flow rims with tape yet.

glenh
    Free Member

Don't think you'd need sealant any more than with UST, since they have a proper tubeless bead. Can't say for sure though, since I always use sealant.

nickegg
    Free Member

Rubber Queen 2.2 UST on Mavic 819 and Ignitor 2.35 LUST/Crossmark 2.25 LUST on XT M775 rims here.

Use sealant in all of them. The Crossmark was just over 900g IIRC and Rubber Queens were approx. 900g also.

Rubber Queens have been great so far on my hardtail and roll incredibly well for some that looks like it shouldn't.

anc
    Free Member

Mk's are chocolate avoid if your're going anywhere near rocks. Schwalbe fat alberts are very robust and a great tyre up here in the lakes. I run the 2.4's which weigh just under a kilo but the 2.2's will get you well under.

messiah
    Free Member

I'm getting on great with non UST Big Betties. I was expecting them to be delicate compared to the Michelin comp 16/24 I ran before but so far so good. Less than a kilo vs nearly one point five. Jury is out on wet conditions since its been dry since I put them on… which is ace.

br
    Free Member

Don't think you'd need sealant any more than with UST, since they have a proper tubeless bead

Two different things really.

Most beads will seal given enough pressure and soapy water, but sealant stops them going down when you puncture.

timraven

+1 for Rubber Queens, though I have gone through the sidewall on mine 😆

Always use wheel milk sealant and pull out the thorns when I feel like it, also can't understand not using it.

nickegg, how do you find the RQ's on 819's? I was wondering if the rim would be a bit skinny for such a wide tyre.

13thfloormonk

Hmm… need to figure out why the sealant isn't working then.

I've got an RQ on my other bike, it felt a bit draggy compared to the ADvantages which is why I didn't put one on the singlespeed sprinty bike.

Can't have my cake and eat it obviously!

frozenearth
    Free Member

I have been running MICHELIN WildGrip’R 2.25 for the past 3 months and have nothing but praise for them. I ride a lot of natural trails and trail centres in all the lovely conditions Scotland has to offer and have found that they can cope well with mud , wet roots and dry trails.

michelin

13thfloormonk

Hmm, those Michelii look nice, but that is one stupid website, why not just show me your tyres instead of making me answer endless bloody questions about my riding? 🙄

epicsteve
    Free Member

Specialized Captain 2.2's or Eskar 2.3's could be worth a look. I'm running some myself but not tubeless.

nickegg
    Free Member

Tim: RQ's seem fine to me, they do roll over a touch as they are indeed massive but i think it just adds abit of comfort to my clumsy efforts on the hardtail.

neil853
    Free Member

the tubeless MK's i have seem fine sidewall wise and i ride in he lakes and pennines quite a bit.

I have some wildgripper'rs that i bought at the dalby wc to put on so i'm encouraged by what frovenearth has said 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Bombproof sub 1kg UST tyres?’ is closed to new replies.