Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Bomb holes at hindhead
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Any tips of how to find them – going that way in half and hour.

Thanks is advance

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Oh well found them anyway. Remembered tip to look for a steep little hill to the start after the Temple.

First time over that way but a fun ride and first ride on new (awesome) camber evo

njee20
    Free Member

You actually bought a new bike?! 😯

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You actually bought rode a new bike?!

FTFY, Njee!

😉

Pics of bike now, please, THM. Quicksmart, dear chap.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

😀

Yes pulled the plug and SO happy with it. Completely different experience – I even thought about the little gap jump at the end!

TBF to myself, they sold out of the bike I wanted two years ago plus it was a nightmare year for other reasons. But I always fanny about when it comes to spending money on myself!

Can’t do photos C’pn – that’s far too advanced.

allthepies
    Free Member

Temple at hindhead ? Not the Temple of the winds at Blackdown?

gregsd
    Free Member

temple of the four winds just the base now!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Are there two? I was at the temple of the winds a few minutes ride from Gibbet Hill. So I think of that as hindhead/ other side of Punchbowl. Nice little trail with easy bomb holes and jumps – perfect evening fun!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

X post. So yes could well be black down then. But literally a short fast ride from Gibbet Hill

tor5
    Free Member

No, blackdown is on the other side of town and has a lookout towards the south downs called temple of the winds.

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Yes Temple of the Four Winds is near Gibbet Hill, Temple of the Winds is on Black Down (south of Haslemere).

Visited both today 🙂 Didn’t find the bombholes, did find plenty of cows.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Where were you guys earlier? 😉

At least that’s cleared up – I thought BD was somewhere else.

Just after the temple you follow the main track down until there is a step climb going off on the left. Then you follow the route along the ridge with obvious right hand turn after a couple of mins. You cross the main BW again about 3/4 of the way down. The bombholes are quite small and fun and it’s a nice blast with small steps and some jumps if you want them. Easy to climb back and do it a few times but it was 7:45 on my last run and wasn’t sure what time it got dark.

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Will have to have a look for that then.

I was actually practising portage up the steep bridleway to the south east of the temple. And also on Black Down, to the bemusement of the people looking down from the viewpoint to see me coming up the sketchy path to the south.

Stunning views at both places. I adore the area!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Yes first time for me riding that area. Even the short, little twisty section off Gibbet is fun (better than the obvious BW which it joins). Found a couple of new cheeky sections on the edge of the Punchbowl too. Views were really nice as the light was fading.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Have seen the said bike, very nice too. Can’t say I am a fan of the current crop of new bike colours but this Evo looks very smart indeed.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Any experts on this area – how about runs like satans switchback, rampage berms etc. Are they easy to find? I rode of the narrow track from Gibbet Hill that joins the main bridleway near the X-road with the temple being staring on. Are they on the left there?

Is it easy to find the climb back up from bottom of both holes ridge back up to Punchbowl?

How do you turn Strava explorer into actual map or satellite?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Ok found them walking the dog – pretty steep and loose! A bit beyond me at the moment? Only two of about 4-5 lines look used.

gregsd
    Free Member

passed through the bombholes tonight and there’s some serious work in progress up there.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Since I found them I have only ever seen one other person there.

Am I right to think this work related to jumps in the lower section? If so, I need to be careful as I surprised myself last time!!

bugpowderdust
    Free Member

Seemed to be when I passed through a week or so ago.

Never seem to see many people about up that way, even less when you go towards black down or other ways South.

Greg, you still riding then, still doing weds at Milford if you fancy it.

gregsd
    Free Member

The work is near to the start and around the first big bombhole. Still work in progress at the moment and not fully integrated into the main trail and a bit more than jumps!

Scott – just about still riding, but it’s been intermittent over the last couple of years. Might try and join you one Wednesday, once I’m a little fitter! Cheers Greg

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Hmm, that was a little shock. Blimey you guys must carry some speed through the bomb hole to have enough for an immediate gap jump!!! I hit it as fast as I could but fortunately with enough time to realise what was coming and bail out left!!!

Still amazing to have the whole area to myself this afternoon. The rough BW down from the bottom of the bomb holes felt rougher than normal today. On the climb back up to just below he Gibbet there always feels like there should be some stuff coming down on the LHS as you are climbing.

I just need to improve enough and get big enough balls for the DH stuff – had a big wipe out there a few weeks ago getting out of my depth!!!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Nirvana Satruday free ride practice

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

As you know, they are well beyond me!!!!

gribble
    Free Member

Lots of work going on, very impressed, have not been that way for a while and looking promising.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I am still intrigued – do you good riders intend to hit the gap after going through the bomb hole or is there a new line to take? You must have to carry some speed and the root and the corner always seem to slow me down.

I hope that run doesn’t become too gnarr 😉 it’s just about right for mini minders like me!!!

Still building up to the jump at the bottom but as I have only ridden it on my own I am waiting for some back up first!!

tor5
    Free Member

Hang on, what? Gap after the big bomb hole? Is it on the main line or off left, over the fallen tree?

*reminder that I’ve not been out for bloody ages*

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

On the right hand side. Perfectly easy to avoid if you want to.

I don’t know when the pixies do their magic as the place is deserted whenever I go up there.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

wow!

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Has the work in progress been finished then?

Must go and have a look.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Not sure – but my last viewing answered my question about carrying speed!!!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

All change again. What happened? Even a mincer like me might have a crack at that now! Only a wee bit of air mind.

Three runs on there today. My kind of run – fun but not scary – followed by the fast drop afterwards. Amazed at how dry everything was.

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Looks like it all got chopped down since my last visit 🙁

Either that, or I’ve got completely the wrong place.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Fun time up there today – nice to meet Toki, Steve and Niall (I think) and thanks for the jump demo albeit with the unfortunate result – hope the walk back wasn’t too bad.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Bomb holes at hindhead’ is closed to new replies.