Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Bodgetastic!
  • sofatester
    Free Member

What is the most impressive bit of homemade spannering you fine people have done? Pictures for a bonus point!

tinsy
    Free Member

held a broken gear outer using a wood srrew & 2 cables ties as a splint, rode it like that for a couple of weeks.. I did have a pic but cant find it.. 😕

Stoner
    Free Member

StonerBone – for transfering rohloff torque to an On-One slotted drop out where the SpeedBone wont work and a monkey bone would mean buying a new post mount brake.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sofatester
    Free Member

Impressive spannering there sir! 😀

the-muffin-man

When I used a chain splitter to hold my seatpost up when the bolt in my seatpost QR snapped during a ride…

sofatester
    Free Member

Ah, the classic "Can i find anything threaded in my camelbac bodge" 😆

Well done.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Snapped a zip tie that held on my back brake hose on a stick I normally carry spares just in case but not this time.

I used a bit of grass to hold it in place. Lasted for about 4 rides.

sofatester
    Free Member

10/10 I_Ache 🙂

Don't think anyone is going to beat that Organibodge!

theflatboy
    Free Member

i've filled a tyre with grass and ridden around 8 miles back to civilisation before when my rear tube completely gave up the ghost and i didn't have a spare.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Organibdoge is indeed most satisfying! Top work!

I've done the various sizes of stick to change the front mech when cable snapped. A rather satisfyingly organic bodge!

sofatester
    Free Member

i've filled a tyre with grass and ridden around 8 miles back to civilisation before when my rear tube completely gave up the ghost and i didn't have a spare.

I always thought that idea was put in the magazines to see if anyone was silly enough to try it 😆

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I had to prove i had a front brake on my bmx to Mr. PC Plod, did so by riding towards him at speed then performing a perfectly timed foot jam to 180 to stalling on the rear brake.

He was quite impressed and couldn't argue that i'd stoped and managed to lock up both 'brakes'.

sofatester
    Free Member

I had to prove i had a front brake on my bmx to Mr. PC Plod, did so by riding towards him at speed then performing a perfectly timed foot jam to 180 to stalling on the rear brake.

Then he nicked you anyway for willy waving? 😆

cynic-al
    Free Member

I've seen a Raleigh Maverick finish a ride with the dropout connected to the chainstay with only a zip tie. No pics though.

sofatester – Member

I always thought that idea was put in the magazines to see if anyone was silly enough to try it

It works…just…thing is you have no other option. Grass tends to compact though so you end up with a flat spot, and forget cornering at speed. Better to knot the inner tube if you can.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

I did the old reeds/bullrush/grass in the tyre thing when i got a puncture a few miles out & didn't have any kit with me! 😛

sofatester
    Free Member

Better to knot the inner tube if you can.

Been there, done that.

In the dark when it was raining as well, do i get extra ego points? 😆

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

haha, nope,

the footjam bit was intentional, the rest of it was a combination of accidental and instinct, probably looked cool though :-S

Wally

Bullet Brothers Chain Tensioner circa 1992? put to good use to extend the life of a Marin. (I still have the crud claws)

bent_udder
    Free Member

We only stopped fixing this because we were able to tack onto port after being hit (T-boned when sailing starboard tack coming off the starting line) and sail all the way home with the port side out of the water. Another ten minutes and you wouldn't have seen this for gaffa tape. This was fixed properly in two days flat.

You wouldn't be able to do thiswith one of those woven jute bags for life.

Doesn't look *that* big:

The rubber bit hanging off is a good 4mm thick and a bugger to cut; the other boat was doing a good 8kts when it hit us.

taka
    Free Member

bent_udder we had some italian ****t hit us who were on a beveria 44 all we had was a scratch all he had was a written off boat 😆

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

How to affix a rear-mudguard to a bike with no chainstay bridge
    Find old light bracket of suitable diameter, twist a corner-brace thru 90degrees and hey presto:

What to do when your kevlar bead goes *ping* and you're 30miles from home with no hope of rescue
    Find scrap bailer-twine, wrap around rim and tyre, tie off with *just* the right amount of slack, disconnect front canti and inflate tyre:

paule
    Free Member

Thurman, that looks very like one of my best bodges – ripped a tyre sidewall 15 miles from home, so put a big zip tie (robbed from a handy lamppost sign) around the tyre and rim.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

I was proud of this one.

Rode for about 10 miles on it, wood(!) have done another 30 easily before wearing through.

As for paying for mudguards,

squattingmouse
    Free Member

Once discovered the seals had gone in my hand pump when trying to mend a puncture so fixed seals on pump using masses of patch glue and all but one patch to make a new seal, THEN mended the puncture and rode very carefully home having pushed my luck enough for that day…….

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Thurman Merman, thats a cracking solution for mudguard mounting. Just what I need for my on one cx. Scuttles up to the shed.

emac65
    Free Member

Bent_udder wouldn't have happened if you'd had a wooden rubbing strip instead of those useless just for show rubber ones they use these days…..

alpin
    Free Member

had to do the tyre thing last night after getting 200m from the trail head before getting a puncture on the rear. no tube, no patches. the hole was directly opposite the valve; not the opposite as in half-way round but the same section of tube.

packed the tyre full three times as it compacted down. really lumpy ride home.

learnt a lesson.

noteeth
    Free Member

No pics – but a branch jammed thru each half of my snapped (X-Lite – the ones with the shim… 😕 ) handlebars saw me home, after disaster struck.

bent_udder
    Free Member

Taka – unsurprised at a Bavaria falling to bits! They're cheap boats for a reason. Must be nice having a 44ft crumple zone. 😀

Emac – I know, but Hunter had to build their bumper cars down to a weight, and rubber didn't mark fibreglass in the inevitable 40-boat pile ups on 707 starting lines – it's the hefty reinforced stem that does the real damage. 😯 Built like brick outhouses, those things.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

I used a bit of grass to hold it in place.

Lovely 🙂 Sticks, bailing twine all good too 🙂

No real bodges to my name. My most wished for one was during a 5 mile pedal home with just one crank arm attached. One pedal cycling. Sounds zen was actually shit.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Bodgetastic!’ is closed to new replies.