Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Bodge tech question 9 speed / 10 speed
  • ivebrokenit
    Free Member

Here is the set up I have a question on :

10 speed shifters, chainset, cassette and chain but with 9 speed front and real derailieurs. On the basis the derailiuer movement will be governed by the 10 speed shifters , this should work , or not ? Maybe some different jockey wheels ?

Any thoughts gratefully accepted !

Mister-P
    Free Member

9 speed MTB Shimano rear mechs do not work with 10 speed MTB Shimano shifters.

hilldodger
    Free Member

apology for slight threadjack, but anyone know if 10 speed c/set will run with 9 speed mech/chain ?

njee20
    Free Member

Yep, chain/rings are cross compatible no problem.

As per Mister P, neither SRAM nor Shimano MTB components are 9/10 compatible. Shimano road 10 speed shifters can be used with a 9 speed rear mech though.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Yep, chain/rings are cross compatible no problem.

Thanks 😀

scu98rkr
    Free Member

you can use the flat bar road shifters with a 9 speed rear mech if you want to keep rapid rise.

I managed to get a set for £25 on ebay but the price is very variable

nedrapier

Quite like that name for a light engineering firm: BodgeTech Solutions Ltd.

Yet1man

What exactly is not compatible though ?

scu98rkr – can you show me the shifters you mean ? Sounds an interesting option, as I like Rapid Rise.

Is it these ones ?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=35084

Cheers

Michael

njee20
    Free Member

One click at shifter will not equal one sprocket on cassette. How incompatible do you want it?!

Those are the shifters yes.

Mister-P
    Free Member

What exactly is not compatible though ?

The rear mech is not compatible with the shifters. The front mech will work although may not be 100% perfect.

clubber
    Free Member

You could get the 10 speed road version of the shifters…

Yet1man

One click at shifter will not equal one sprocket on cassette

So it must be to do with lever ratio’s at the rear mech then ?

As the cable pull is determined by the shifter, so if the ratio’s were the same, there would not be any reason why you couldn’t run a 9 speed rear mech with a 10 speed shifter as the overall travel is the same ie still the same width cassette/lateral distance between the biggest and smallest sprocket is still the same. ????

Mister-P
    Free Member

You have pretty much answered your own question there. 9 and 10 use differing cable pull ratios.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Bodge tech question 9 speed / 10 speed’ is closed to new replies.