Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Bobbing shock problem
  • pete68
    Free Member

My Wife has a Giant Anthem xw,with a RP2 rear shock, which bobs like crazy.It was doing this last year so we had it professionally serviced thinking this would sort it out.However it is no better.Yesterday we ran it much harder than normal and it still bobbed,but only used 50% travel.Any ideas how to stop this or does it need to go back to where it was serviced to be checked again.Thanks for any replies.

bigyinn
    Free Member

More rebound damping might help?

legend
    Free Member

As above, have you sorted the rebound? If not then upping the pressure will just have made it act even worse.

pete68
    Free Member

Yeah have played around with the settings.Only upped the pressure to make it rideable(ish).

legend
    Free Member

So have you now got the rebound full on and it’s still bobbing?

retro83
    Free Member

so you’ve set the sag to 25%, put pro-pedal on, put rebound in the middle and it’s still bobbing too much? Doesn’t sound right to me.
    The giant maestro suspension system inherently doesn’t bob very much, i never need to have the PP switched on on my trancex except for long bits of road riding.

cynic-al
    Free Member

How’s her pedalling style?

Can make a massive difference.

neninja
    Free Member

Having run an Anthem X with a Float R and Float RPL shock, it’s the least ‘bobby’ full suspension bike I’ve ever ridden. Do you mean bobbing when pedalling or over bouncing around uncontrollably over rough stuff. In my experience there was almost no bob when pedalling the Anthem X, even when standing up and really mashing the pedals.

There must be something wrong with either the set up of the shock or the shock itself.

If it’s pedal bob does it improve if she switches to Propedal? Bob will be an issue with the compression tune rather than rebound so would need to be tuned by the likes of Loco, Mojo, TF Tuned etc.

If it’s whilst riding rough stuff, then it could be too much or too little rebound.

thepodge
    Free Member

Pedal style is the most important thing, even a perfect shock will bob if you mash the pedals.

titusrider
    Free Member

+1 pedaling style, all about circles 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Also…I don’t always get 100% travel on every ride – if she is riding “like a lady” she may get less, so that may not be a useful guide to setting pressure.

IMO a little bob is not the end of the world, it’s the price of a supple shock, unless she is podiuming at races?

pete68
    Free Member

Ok, just been and checked the shock and the rebound was set to be full slow (clockwise).Would this be right?The bobbing occurs when just sat spinning along, even on the road.The rebound adjuster only seems to have about 6 clicks of adjustment aswell.Usually leave the Propedal in Open, as when we got the bike it rode fine like this.

cynic-al
    Free Member

try propedal…

…video?

pete68
    Free Member

As i said used to ride fine without Propedal, and thought an Anthem should ride fine like that.Will try it though on next ride.Does only having 6 clicks of adjustment sound like something isn’t quite right though?

legend
    Free Member

.Does only having 6 clicks of adjustment sound like something isn’t quite right though?

yup, there should be around 18-21 clicks iirc

LoCo
    Free Member

Sounds like it’s cavitated (an internal seal blown allowing nitrogen into the oil or similar) if it was on full slow rebound it shouldn’t bob but would feel ‘dead’ and really slow. Should also have more than 6 clicks on the rebound too, any fluid leaking from around/under the adjusters?

neninja
    Free Member

Who did the service for you? Doesn’t sound like they more than an air can service?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

AS above I’ve got an Anthem with RP2 and never use the Pro Pedal as you just don’t need it, even standing up and mashing on the pedals doesn’t make it bob half as much as most full sussers would do if your being careful.

Think it needs looking at by some one whi knows what theyre doing!

bigyinn
    Free Member

Fingers crossed it wasn’t the same moron who “serviced” my RP3 by removing compression and rebound shims from the damping stack. 🙄

rickon
    Free Member

Send the shock to LoCo to sort it out for you, if it’s cavitated then you’ll need a nitrogen recharge and you really can’t do that at home.

You could also ask him to custom shim it for you, so that it’s setup properly for her weight 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Bobbing shock problem’ is closed to new replies.