Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • BMX Racing
  • mattster
    Free Member

Seems to be a lot of talk of BMX's on here at the minute so thought I would ask the STW collective as I admit to knowing absolutely nothing about 20" wheels. If I was looking for a bike that I could race on are they suitable for hitting a few dirt jumps down the local trails? or are they fairly specific to individual formats. What sort of prices should I be looking at to get a BMX? As I have all the kit from biking it seems a cheap-ish way of doing a bit of racing over the winter.
    Any advice will be helpful.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Race bikes can be reasonably specific, if you go for an aluminium or carbon monocoque type thing, but they'll stil hold up to smooth trail/jumping use. Probably better to go for a cromoly race frame, as although it may be a little bit heavier, it should hold up better if you're a bit heavy handed.

Top tube length is pretty crucial, as something too short feels awful. I'm 5'10ish and run a pro xl length frame with a 21.3ish top tube.

Prices? whatever you want really. My Brew frame was £300+ so total build around twice that i guess, Dialleds frames are nice if you want to keep with a 'familiar' stw friendly brand. Second hand or complete builds are where the value are, and now may be a good time, as new models are out and people are swapping bikes.

If you're a bit too tall, or 20" is a bit too much of a shock you could get a 24" cruiser. And unless you're really smooth/skilled, keep the clip pedals on the mountain bike!

Bushwacked
    Free Member

For some info on racing check out the forum on http://www.radbmx.co.uk

Rusty, which region do you race?

Mattster, if you want a dual purpose bike (race and trails) definitely get a cro-moly frame. Unfortunately, hardly any companies make complete race bikes around a cro-moly frame, so you may have to build one up to your own spec.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

@Mike – I don't, but if i did it would be Southern. Local tracks are Bournemouth and Andover, but haven't ridden it this year at all.

Good area to be in for racing, Rusty. Bournemouth, Andover and Gosport all quite close with really good tracks.

Is it a Brew 20" or 24"?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘BMX Racing’ is closed to new replies.