Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • BMX at Llandegla
  • devs
    Free Member

Yeah I know everyone calls it a BMX track BUT I'm debating on whether to call past tomorrow on my way North again. The vital point being No1 son has his BMX with him. Will he be ok to "hang" on the skills area jumps etc with his BMX whilst the rest of us ride the trails? Has anyone else seen BMXers there and will anyone in "authority" have a go at him for being there? If there's a problem we just won't bother as it means tackling the traffic mayhem at Machynlleth to get there and I'd rather not!

GW
    Free Member

eh? why would anyone have a go at a kid riding a BMX at a trail centre?

Rich_s

Pish – I rode a BMX round the blue… and no-one told me off.

loddrik
    Free Member

I'm gonna take the kids in the trailer round the blue route in a couple of days, to hell with what other people think, it won't affect them!

nutsnvolks
    Free Member

i regulary see bmx's there, in fact there were a load of kids on bmx's on the pump track on sunday, cos i was watchin them for a while cos they were quite good!!!!

so, yeah, no problems

Russell96

Rich_S on his BMX on the Llandegla Blue

ste_t
    Free Member

I was there today and there were a couple of kids on bmxs going over to the pump track and the the oneplanet guys seemed fine with it

devs
    Free Member

Because it's wales and people do stuff like that. Someone had a go at him for riding in an empty village hall car park the other day. He came and got me and the objector did one before I could debate what he was actually doing wrong. It's a country where people erect prison standard iron fencing and turnstiles around a beauty spot so they can exploit it for money. Where a man will stand in the pishing rain miles away from anywhere so he can charge you a quid for parking next to a beach. I don't understand the culture at all so just thought I'd check.

devs
    Free Member

Ta for the info then chaps, we shall head there tomorrow en route to Engerland.

molgrips
    Free Member

I also am thinking of taking the kiddie trailer on the blue, as soon as the wife's up to it 🙂

loddrik
    Free Member

The blue is made for it, fast, wide & sweeping, the kids will love it, although they will be bored as hell getting to the top beforehand!

molgrips
    Free Member

It's a country where people erect prison standard iron fencing and turnstiles around a beauty spot so they can exploit it for money

In busy corners of England they might, but not in Wales so much 🙂

devs
    Free Member

In busy corners of England they might, but not in Wales so much

Devil's Bridge by Aberystwyth has. It's shocking. I'd love to ride the trails there though. They look proper fun but the really steep staircase might be beyond me. Anyone done it?

loddrik
    Free Member

Mores to the point, has anyone done Llandegla on a folding..?

Rubber_Buccaneer

molgrips – Member
    I also am thinking of taking the kiddie trailer on the blue, as soon as the wife's up to it

Are you going to make her tow you around in the trailer? Can I go next 🙂

devs
    Free Member

The boy ripped up the blue on his BMX and then gave everyone a lesson on the pump track and skills area. Not the drops though, I pwned them! He loved it and "might" go to Laggan now on his MTB. It's progress. No2 son also loved it and is getting to the stage where I might have to buy him a better bike but I'm holding off as the lure of the trendy skate park might make it a waste of cash just now.

grumm
    Free Member

Why did no-one point out that the correct bike for Llandegla is a cross bike and anything else will get you laughed at by the STW massive?

donsimon
    Free Member

DeVs – Member

Because it's wales and people do stuff like that. Someone had a go at him for riding in an empty village hall car park the other day. He came and got me and the objector did one before I could debate what he was actually doing wrong. It's a country where people erect prison standard iron fencing and turnstiles around a beauty spot so they can exploit it for money. Where a man will stand in the pishing rain miles away from anywhere so he can charge you a quid for parking next to a beach. I don't understand the culture at all so just thought I'd check.

🙄

If Wales is so crap, it might be better if you stay away. 😉

devs
    Free Member

If Wales is so crap, it might be better if you stay away.

It's ok. I understand why you and the Welsh are so tetchy and stroppy. It's the roads and weather. If I had to drive on the A44, A470 or A487 for more than 2 weeks a year I would be well narky too. Rest assured I would stay away if it wasn't for the outlaws living there. And the biking. And the lock ins I got every time I went to the pub. And all the "eye candy" with muffin tops, orange skin and straightened hair parading around in next to nowt. Wales isn't crap. In fact Wrexham is the best place in Britain. Everyone should go there for their mountain bike holidays.

singlespeedstu

Just take your dog with you and everyone will be so busy moaning about that they won't notice your kid on a BMX. 😆

donsimon
    Free Member

I'm glad you liked Wrecsam, when you get to know the people you'll find they're the salt of the earth. In my 15 years there I never had a single problem. As you say, not too far from some great areas for cycling. I'd probably go closer to the coast for holidays though.

pitcherpro
    Free Member

I remember seeing a couple on a tandem mtb a while back up at Llandegla and they were riding on the "drop shore" section!
    Not sure if the woman at the back could see what was coming……

singlespeedstu

Tandemshore is the new black.

Here's me and the mrs partisipating in some tandemshore fun.

devs
    Free Member

Just take your dog with you and everyone will be so busy moaning about that they won't notice your kid on a BMX.

I did!

I'm glad you liked Wrecsam

I only ever drive past it. I go to Aberystwyth way to visit outlaws. For some reason my English pals call Llandegla Wrexham and I quite like to lump it all into one too.

donsimon
    Free Member

For some reason my English pals call Llandegla Wrexham and I quite like to lump it all into one too.

Pretty much the same for me, everything in the north of england is Manchester and everything in the south is London. Nothing else is important, so doesn't exist.

A lot of my Welsh pals don't actually recognise london as being important, each to their own.

devs
    Free Member

Morning Don. Those roads and weather still getting to you then? You need to get out on your bike. Or maybe a day out charging people to access what is actually theirs will make you a little less irritated. I suppose you may have SAD. Have you tried sunbeds? At the worst you will be able to see loads of muffin tops down the salon whilst you get that nice orange look. Last time I looked 7 miles from London or Manchester was still actually considered London or Manchester but you may have a point. Your average Briton is very ignorant of place names and should be made to learn the name and location of every single village, town and hamlet. Did I say Briton? What I meant was those people from all of the villages in Avon, aberdovey, aberystwyth etc etc etc. It may take me a while to list them all, talk amongst yourselves, I'll be back soon.

donsimon
    Free Member

Morning Don. Those roads and weather still getting to you then? You need to get out on your bike. Or maybe a day out charging people to access what is actually theirs will make you a little less irritated. I suppose you may have SAD. Have you tried sunbeds?

Mornin', how's it going? You could be right about the weather, I was close to cancelling a ride yesterday because of the thunder, but the storm apperas to have passed and we should be back to sunshine. Sunbeds not really for me, fortunately I'm used to the sun now so go an interesting brown and not pink like most of the tourists. It really is quite amusing to see the fair skinned go pink, same as seeing them wearing t-shirts in Nov when the temp is 10-15ºC, what's that all about? Aren't muffin tops a national phenomena and not just restricted to Wrecsam, they probably exist in your town, where did you say are you from again? And of course nobody in england or Scotland puts up fences and charges for access to beauty spots and national heritage. Stonehenge/simply denied access, Buck house, free to enter?

Off home now for some unlimited access riding where the farmers greet you with a "cheery hello" and the hikers open the gates for you. 😀 Factor what?

I totally agree with you about placenames, for you Llandegla is Wrecsam and for me anything in the north is Manchester and nothing else is worth thinking about.

Best get back to the sheep, they're needing attention.

devs
    Free Member

And of course nobody in england or Scotland puts up fences and charges for access to beauty spots

I suspect it may be the English occupying force in Wales that actually do this. The bloke holding out his grubby mitt for my hard earned didn't sound very Welsh. Have they no shame? Why have all that money and property going to waste when they could get a mongrel and a few Big Issues and do exactly the same job? I have no problem with national heritage sites. Places like that require upkeep or they look slightly more ruinous ruins. I would pay to access one if I wanted to dupe a chick or something that I was slightly less shallow and was interested in old buildings that some ex public school kid that has fallen off the rails and now pretends to be some kind of caring hippy maintains with some of the money that people give them every day. However, people in Scotland do not and will not pay to access beauty spots. The land in Scotland belongs to the people, not individuals, no matter how many marbles they have in their jowls.
    I have noticed a higher proportion of people in Wales have darker skin and hair. Is there an historical event that explains this? Did the Moors land there or something? I can't imagine for a second that the indigenous people were that dark with that amount of miserable weather. Newcastle is the same for some strange reason.

donsimon
    Free Member

Now you've confused me! You appear to have a serious problem with the Welsh and have a real problem with stereotyping people. In Wales, as far as I know, you don't pay to go to beauty spots unless, I imagine, it's private land. I'm quite sure I don't have absolute freedom to ride my bike through your back garden. Please, be more specific about what you paid for and where. I'm quite sure that the FC does all it's work for free, assuming you're in Scotland (you still haven't said which utopian muffin-top free area you hail from!!!), or do you pay through taxes?
    Your problem now seems to centre on the english, who several years ago would have had their home burnt!!! And is not a problem caused by the Welsh.

Pook

Too much typing too little doing anything else productive chaps. Or riding.

donsimon
    Free Member

Just got home, waiting for a headset from CRC looking at the dust storm outside thinking that today might be a good rest day. Finish building the road bike and take it for a spin later. Happy days. 😀

devs
    Free Member

I have given an example if you care to read what I have written instead of snapping at every bait that passes your bit of the river bed. There is no such thing as private land in Scotland, only privacy laws. So no, you couldn't go through someone's back garden as that would invade their privacy but nor could you erect big fences and turnstiles around a beautiful set of waterfalls and charge people for the privilege of looking at them. Or charge people for parking on a verge so they can visit the beach. You seem to be getting very tetchy in a very Welsh way about the things I have written. Do you have a muffin top?

donsimon
    Free Member

In your first postings you talk about car parking at a beach, normal to charge for parking on private land same as happens in Scotland, no? Now you're talking about a waterfall which I'm assuming is Swallow Falls as you're very backward in giving info, I still don't know where you live, apart from Scotland. I'm not 100% sure but there are a couple of things to consider:
    1. you live in a capitalist society, you pay, you get.
    2. the land on which the falls passes is either property of the hotel or the National Park, both of which have maintainance costs. You come, you erode, you pay for damage.
    3. how many sites are on private land in Scotland and therefore protected by your privacy laws and as a result only a few privileged people can enjoy, royal estates for example.
    4. even areas of natural beauty need financial aid to keep the boardwalks in good condition.
    5. not only Wales, the blue john mines charge for entry, please direct your wrath correctly.
    6. if Swallow Falls isn't on private land I'm sure you could by-pass the safety of the boardwalks and clamber down at your own risk. But then you'd expect someone to rescue you for free!!!

I still don't understand your fascination with muffin-tops, you having fantasies about me?
    Am I techy? jajajajajaja!!

Also, when you're losing an argument, don't resort to insults.

As you can only make negative xenophobic comments about Wales, I repeat, best you stay away and stick to your Buckfast and deep fried Mars bars, eh?

Besos cariad!

devs
    Free Member

Blimey, you prove my initial point. You are very TETCHY. Get some Brains SA down yer neck and have a chill out. You are taking my observations of your country far too personally. It's not healthy for one obviously so young to get so wound up. What's all this about Swallow Falls? Do they charge for that now as well? I'm gutted. I used to enjoy going there. The waterfalls I referred to are Devil's Bridge but you seem unwilling to read what's written. I haven't insulted you, well not intentionally anyways, if you haven't got a muffin top all you had to do was say no. Nor have I entered an argument as far as I'm aware. We appear to be conversing at different levels so I'll bow out now as the roads and weather appear to have you on a shorter fuse than me. Tara for now.

donsimon
    Free Member

😆

thepodge
    Free Member

Pook – Too much typing too little doing anything else productive chaps. Or riding.

sounds like our emails.

devs
    Free Member

Russell your pic may have been taken in the same place as this

Rich_s

Looks like it DeVs, but different amount of lycra going on. Same place as this (cross bikes are pish – you need a road bike with steel rimz, innit).

devs
    Free Member

Respeck Rich_s! Perfectly doable but it's rough enough in places to make that very uncomfortable I would imagine. Extra gnar points for taking air on all the jumps that have evolved at the edges of the trail and over the edges of the "berms".

Rich_s

😉 Can't claim the credit for that skinny rump! That's a guy called Paul – we did a 25 quid challenge to buy a bike off the 'bay and do a lap of the blue at Llandegla whilst lycra'd up…

It was very impressive to watch him going down the steep bit on the blue, on the drops, in the wet, with steel rims…! Funnily enough, he made it round fine with no punctures. The BMX was loads of fun on the downs, but was a pig on the climbs. I believe it's still sitting outside the visitor centre where I abandoned it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘BMX at Llandegla’ is closed to new replies.