Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • BMW X6
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

Nice to see it being slated on Top Gear – the program obviously does something right. I particularly liked watching it getting stuck on a small hill a field then sliding backwards despite the handbrake being on and the gearbox being in Park!

Every time I see one of those useless hunks of sh!t I wonder what sort of jerk person looked at the brochure and thought 'hey, that's a great car' 😕

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Good point, well made. Just thinking about the damn things has put me in a bad mood. An utterly pointless vehicle.

Hadge
    Free Member

Stevie Wonder maybe????

Most useless pointless car ever made and not because it's a BMW as I've got 330Ci M Sport – a proper car.

iamsporticus
    Free Member

I dont like them and totally dont see the point, but any car that gets the carpet/lentil munchers as agitated as those hippos do cant be all bad

Brother_Will
    Free Member

good point iamsporticus but a range rover would do that job just as well and be not as shit.

ozzo
    Free Member

I always think they're bought by someone with more money than a sense of style or common sense buying the X6 and the Porsche Cayenne – utter crap and ugly

DickBarton

Oh I dunno, neighbour has a reasonably new one and it's in the garage every week getting fixed as something else fails.

Mate loves it to death (and should do at the price he paid for it second hand from the garage), wife loathes it as it's had so many problems…it looks good, sounds good but has spent more time in the garage or on the back of a truck than being driven by them…

So not sure if it would be any better…

dave_aber
    Free Member

Someone I work with has just bought a new X6. He's a complete tosser. He couldn't have bought a more appropriate car.

billybob
    Free Member

my boss has got one – they're even worse looking in the flesh

chainslapp
    Free Member

My brother in law has an X5 (The same as the x6 model) with a 4.8 v8 eco friendly motor, with "Carlos Fandango wheels" plus a brand new 2010 RR Sport with another humongous V8 petrol in it. They live down a country lane and he got them both stuck in a very small amount of snow because they are useless and pointless vehicles, that suit a certain type of "must be seen in one of those" people. I know if I had spent best part of 100k on two cars, I would be pretty unimpressed.
    And yes before you say it, I havent the money myself to buy one, let alone two, but for that money you could have bought something a bit better.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

They look like 3series on a shed loads of steroids!

charliedontsurf

So it's a Heavy long travel DH bike with road tyres and without the travel.

Good commentary by Clarkson "it's a car built for a world that no longer exists" and I reckon only ever existed in the crazed egos of idiots with more money than sense or taste.

It costs at least £42k. With that sort of money I would have a quiver in my garage: triumph scrambler, BMW 5 estate, surly big dummy and a vw camper. Plus a load more bikes.

bol

The beauty of the x6 is that for other road users it is a surefire way of spotting a tw*t.

davidpurvis
    Free Member

a brand new 2010 RR Sport with another humongous V8 petrol in it. They live down a country lane and he got them both stuck in a very small amount of snow

You're lying. Whatever people might think about the Range Rover Sport's image etc, it's a VERY capable off-roader and wouldn't get stuck that easily. If it was stuck, it was somewhere that nothing else would have got out of either.

GaryLake
    Free Member

You're lying. Whatever people might think about the Range Rover Sport's image etc, it's a VERY capable off-roader and wouldn't get stuck that easily. If it was stuck, it was somewhere that nothing else would have got out of either.

I agree, but I bet this example has got oversized chrome alloys, practically slick rubber bands for tyres, and endless body extensions.

chainslapp
    Free Member

I agree, but I bet this example has got oversized chrome alloys, practically slick rubber bands for tyres, and endless body extensions.

Which is exactly what it looks like. He has taken "a very capable off roader" and made it into a purely "lets go around corners quickly" vehicle. Not exactly what the manufacturers designed it for.

aviemoron
    Free Member

Actually a mates got a Cayenne and it's very capable off road, still ugly though.

FuzzyWuzzy

I'd never buy one but I think the X6 (or at least the M6) actually looks OK, agreed it's pretty pointless though :p For an off-roader it would have to be a Bowler for me.

IanMunro
    Free Member

A sport yesterday 🙂

chainslapp
    Free Member

And that one has standard rims and tyres.

Edukator
    Free Member

Thank you Ian, that pic has made firing up the PC worthwhile. I had to drive a landy for work and it was quite the worst vehicle I've ever used on snowy roads. 4X4 doesn't improve braking a jot, and the combination of stiff suspension and unsuitable tyres made it a liability.

chainslapp
    Free Member

My son calls my bro in laws RR Sport a Land Rover, much to his disgust. The innocence of kids eh?

IanMunro
    Free Member

Hi Edukator, thanks, but I can't take credit as it came from here –
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/the-peaks-a-few-snaps

2hottie
    Free Member

Anyone else think the x6 looks like an x5 which has been rolled in a crash? that slope on the back doesn't work at all.

br
    Free Member

While I do dislike the 'sport' 4×4's, but mainly due to who it seems to buy them I think that the X6 looks a bit like the streamlined Paris-Dakar 4×4's from a few years ago?

We had a test in a RR Sport a few years ago, and really liked it. So I said to the salesman that I would wait for my bonus and then come back. A few weeks later I was out with my son (who was 9) at a bike dealer, and a couple came out arguing from a nearby shop – real fat chavs with fat kids – they got into a blinged-up RR Sport and drove off. My son turned to me and said, we can't get one of those!

Smee
    Free Member

Those 4X4s may well have 4 wheel drive but the still have 2 wheel steer and 4 wheel brake the same as everything else. Drivers could do well to remember that.

5thElefant
    Free Member

4X4 doesn't improve braking a jot

Use the brakes alone! Use the gearbox instead.

dave_aber
    Free Member

Those 4X4s may well have 4 wheel drive but the still have 2 wheel steer and 4 wheel brake the same as everything else. Drivers could do well to remember that.

Well said ^

4WD might well get you going, but these things are no better equipped to stop & steer than anything else.

Combine that with them being heavier, and the 'sport' variety having stupidly unsuitable tyres – they are a (dangerous) joke.

The sort of drivers (sweeping generalisation shocker) who drive these things are generally pretty poorly equipped in the brain department too, so gently engine breaking – where they might still have a small advantage – is beyond them.

Edukator
    Free Member

How would the gearbox help? The best way of stopping on soft snow is to lock all the wheels and if there's enough space put the vehicle sideways. Even ABS is a handicap (but pulling a lead off any of the sensors has disabled it on the cars I've owned).

dave_aber
    Free Member

The best way of stopping on soft snow is to lock all the wheels

True, up to a point.

The best way of stopping in the weather we have just now is to do everything gently. By using engine braking, gently, you can reduce speed safely whilst retaining some amount of steering.

In deep snow on a firm base, you can lock the wheels to stop – using the 'snow ramp' technique to create wedges in front of the wheels. I disagree that putting the vehicle sideways if you have the space is really a more effective way to stop (Fun, yes – sensible, no)

However this isn't so effective on snow over hard ice, and doesn't work at all on bare ice. The only way to stop in really slippy conditions is to keep the wheels turning fractionally slower than you are moving. 4WD engine braking is the way to do this, but it is a skill thet needs to be learned, and almost always you won't be able to stop in the space you have available anyway. Especially in a 2-ton monster

mt
    Free Member

would not swap my disco right now for a huge choice of vehicles given the conditions in this area. It still has to be driven with care (and consideration), 4×4 is not the "be all" in snow and ice but it helps a lot when not used with stupid road tyres. It's spent time picking up and taking colleagues home, just what it's for.

chainslapp
    Free Member

Different vehicle altogether though the Disco, made with off road in mind. That's why you are having the success you are.

5thElefant
    Free Member

How would the gearbox help?

I despair.

The best way of stopping on soft snow is to lock all the wheels and if there's enough space put the vehicle sideways.

I really do.

Even ABS is a handicap (but pulling a lead off any of the sensors has disabled it on the cars I've owned).

Certainly is, but locking the wheels and trying to dig down to something solid is the last resort, not the norm.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Some people talk a load of twaddle, I would be happy setting of any where up hil or down dale in my car, even in todays weather.
    Its a 4×4 a Disco.
    Its reet fun to drive power sliding it around corners and a nice handful descending steep hills 😀
    Leaving ABS on and TCS

Edukator
    Free Member

The only way to stop in really slippy conditions is to keep the wheels turning fractionally slower than you are moving

On mud maybe but on ice your best options are locked or limit of adhesion with the brakes. Once you've got any kind of slip angle at all you have much the same resitance as locked so wehlls moving at slightly less than road speed won't do better than locked. Unless you have 3 x LSDs what happens is some of the wheels turn at road speed whilst others spin uselessly at varying speeds – you have the braking force of the wheel with the least grip rather than the wheel with the most grip. LSDs improve matter but you're still better off dosing the foot brake. You can feel for the limit of adhesion with the brakes but you can't with engine braking.

genesis
    Free Member

Some friends of mine were out in lake Louise a few years back and were amazed to watch a Chevy Dayvan being drifted around a corner and park neatly outside a restaurant.. then were nearly floored by the sight of a pensioner trying to get out of it! She could barely walk properly but had lived nowhere else so was well used to driving in ice and snow.

skidartist
    Free Member

A sport yesterday

You see, they are capable of going off road! Most other cars wouldn't have been able to make it all the way through that deep snow between the tarmac to the wall.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Can you name the truck with four wheel drive,
    Smells like a steak, and seats thirty five?
    Canyonero! Canyonero!

Well, it goes real slow with the hammer down,
    It's the country-fried truck endorsed by a clown,
    Canyonero! Canyonero!

Hey, hey!

Twelve yards long, two lanes wide,
    Sixty five tons of American pride!
    Canyonero! Canyonero!

Top of the line in utility sports,
    Unexplained fires are a matter for the courts!
    Canyonero! Canyonero!

She blinds everybody with her super high beams,
    She's a squirrel-squasher, deer-smackin' drivin' machine,
    Canyonero! Canyonero! Canyonero!

Whoa, Canyonero! Whoooooaaaa!

Edukator
    Free Member

On the sideways point: Just putting the vehicle slightly out of line gets you four wheels attacking fresh snow rather than two rears following on snow compacted by the front wheels. Sidewalls offer a squarer edge which ploughs snow better and offers more resistance when really sideways.

"Clutch down and steer" are words to remember when you think all is lost.

Spongebob
    Free Member

4wd's are great IF 4WD is actually needed and if they are in the right hands.

Unfortunately most are owned by "poof poser cocks" who have little, or no driving ability. These people are stupid enough to put their vanity in front of the profligacy of consuming four times as much fossil fuel as is neccessary, just so they can mince round our urban streets. The little people who insist on rubbing everyone's noses in it. BTW I'm not a supporter of the idea that we are messing up our environment by burning too much CO2, but don't deny that the climate is changing. I just can't see the point in needlessly wasting a finite precious resource! Owning a gas guzzling car purely for vanity reasons is the height of selfishness and social irresponsibility!

These oversized vehicles are also a threat to everyone else's safety considering their size and because they are driven by incompetent safety unconcious self-deluded egomaniacs!

I say introduce a new law requiring prospective owners to produce unrefutable proof that such a vehicle is essential to them. Successful applicants would then have to take a test to prove that they can handle such a big car, that they fully understand the implications of driving at speed in a very heavy vehicle with such a high centre of gravity and that they can perform simple tasks like parking the damn thing.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘BMW X6’ is closed to new replies.