Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • BMW X3 2.0d as bad as the internet makes out?
  • Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Hello,

Looking at a car to replace my little Mk1 Yaris, so far on the list is a 06/07 Toyota RAV4 2.2 diesel or 07 BMW X3 2.0d

Now I’ve heard horror stories of the X3’s timing chains, turbos and swirl flaps on the 2.0d also the BBC watchdog episode etc.
    Are they that bad? The ones I’ve been looking at are between 75-100,000 miles one of the car salesmen informed me that the cars with the centre oil filler aren’t effected….. had me thinking Car salesman’s patter….

Anyway interested to hear as the X3 seems a bit nicer to sit in…

Thanks in advance.

theteaboy
    Free Member

A work colleague had one of these and it was his pride and joy until it broke down. And then again. And then again. 3 breakdowns (properly stranded by the side of the road), all gearbox-related.

He got rid and now has a VW Toerag.

He loved it when it was working though.

Edit: but that’s a sample of 1 and he may have got a duff one, etc, etc.

scaled
    Free Member

FiL’s X3 had a clonk for forever, garage kept sorting it out and invariably the clonk would return ~1000 miles later.

sample of 1 and he may have got a duff one, etc, etc.

Kryton57

You seem to have put your internet research into and even smaller pool of advisors than you started with OP – clutching for the “right” answer?

TBH, there’s a gazillion happy BMW 20d owners out there. Where the volume on the road its higher than Ford Mondeo’s, so will the reports of incident be.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Would seem the engine in question is the N47, the ones I’ve been looking at is the M47 which don’t seem so bad…..

You seem to have put your internet research into and even smaller pool of advisors than you started with OP – clutching for the “right” answer?

Yea pretty much…tried a RAV4 today and didn’t like it…. which I thought would be the default answer…

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Volvo xc60?
    We just swapped our X3 (2014 model) for the new XC60. Not got it yet as we are having to wait until October. Drove the outgoing model and it was just brilliant. Much nicer vehicle.
    Our local BMW dealers are di*ks, so that didn’t help their cause either.

ElShalimo

Not helpful but I was in a friends Hyundai SantaFe recently and he’s very happy with it. It’s now 3yrs old and they’re a reliable and comfy alternative

prawny

Had the same concerns when I was looking at 320Ds last year. I can’t remember which engine it was but they changed the swirl flap design (or took them off?) at some point and I’m hoping mine will be ok.

With BMWs it’s worth looking at the individual engines as well as the models (as you have mentioned) as the information is out there.

Also worth noting that general best practice for used Diesels is regular oil changes over and above what the car says to prevent coking up and blowing up turbos etc.

Edit – we looked at XC60s general advice was to avoid at the age I was looking at (2012ish) can’t imagine they were any better before. Would bloody love a new one though, I’ve started work on convincing the Mrs that leasing will be a good idea again next time.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Looked at Volvos but I prefer timing chain for some reason…. had Honda’s and Toyota’s now for 10 years or more after a rather expensive Fabia VRs timing belt change…… though probably stupid thinking if the chain goes…

Also looked at the Subaru 2.0d estate things but the crankshafts seem to be made of cheese on a few….

bikebouy
    Free Member

It was some time ago now but a Mate had a 3.0ltr petrol Sports version of the X3, thirsty but a nice place to be. A quick look on eBay sees a 90k version for not a fat lot for what you get.

XC60’s are nice (I’ve got a 2yr old SELux) but they’re oddly big on the outside and small on the inside, again looking on eBay says you’ll get a 2010 beige/gold tan interior for less than £7k.. mines been faultlessly reliable and pretty darn lovely ..

PePPeR

We did this recently, I was lusting after an X3 3.0D M sport, it looked the mutts nutts, but the ride was crashy, it had nearly 200k on the clock and was still 7k.

We ended up with a Renault Koleos, 2.0 175hp only 80k two years newer and like you I only buy chain cam drive engines.

We looked at the Subaru Forester, but getting spares is a mare, whereas the Koleos is the same engine as the Vivaro and Trafic vans and loads of other Renault and Nissan cars.

How about a Nissan X trail?

Our Koleos is based on the same chassis and engine layout.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Spares with Scoobies don’t seem too bad down here, main dealer close by now… but don’t know what they would be once price, it’s the cranks and or bearings that worry me, phase ones are meant to be a time bomb….

Didn’t know Renualt made a chain cam, was looking at a Merc Vito crew van but decided the age/price/millage didn’t appeal….

tuboflard

Got a 16 plate X3 20d, very nice indeed and no problems so far. Not much on the clock yet though so may bite me at some point in the future but for now I like it a lot, was an ex demonstrator so got lots of options on it though would rather not thing how the garage reps drove it home every night.

Only gripe is the engine is a bit gutless, that’s stepping down from an X6 40d though which went like stink.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

If you are after a SUV with a Chain driven engine the Honda CRV uses a chain. Think it was until 2006.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

The modern X3 diesel doesn’t seem too bad, the N47 seems to be a nightmare, the M47 would seem swirl flaps are the main problem.

Looked at the CRV they hold their money too well….

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Started looking at estates, i40 Tourer is a lot of car for the money, 5 years newer than what I’ve been looking at as well.

prawny

We were looking at i40s before we went for the 3 series but read lots of reports of non essential stuff going wrong and being hard to fix. Bigger than we needed in the end anyway.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

We had an x3 2.0d. 54 plate.

It had a serious electrical issue at 150,000 so it went.

Prior to that though, it was faultless. The gearbox can be touchy about tyres used. It’s important to run proper tyres with the bmw * on them. I always did and never had any gearbox clunks.

It’s not terribly comfortable though but as ours mainly did motorway stuff, the uncomfortableness? Didn’t become an issue. Stereo is a bit crap also.

They’re better off road than you’d think too. 😀

takisawa2

If you arrived here from Mars you’d never buy a car. 🙂

Interweb says every car on the road is destined to go wrong. Visiting Martians will probably travel on horses when they arrive, assuming they read the internet before they arrive..

Just write off x amount as your monthly car budget & lease / pcp a new one with a warranty. Hand back -repeat, hand back – repeat. Seems to be the way these days.

maxtorque

If you’re worried at the swirl flaps, find an indy and get them removed. There are “swirl flap blanking” kits for a few quid, and it’s a quick job to pop the inlet manifold off, and remove and blank the flaps. Whilst you’re there you can get the oil separator filter changed too (which is another known failure)

However, remember, the reason you here of so many 2.0d failures is because BMW sold MILLIONS of them, that then did BILLIONS [/briancox] of miles, so you;re going to get some failures.

Any modern car (built in the lat 10 years ish) is going to be expensive to fix when it goes wrong, and most of them use all the same components under the bonnet anyway

mos

we had a 57 plate 2.0D with the m-sport suspension. Very crashy indeed on the rough roads round us, otherwise a nice car. But yeah, the sporty suspension is a bit on the firm side for that type of car.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Looks like I will have to have a go in a X3, roads around here aren’t the best had a 2.2 Civic (the 1st lot of spacey ship ones) and that used to crash and bash around the road and my back didn’t really like it….

Rockape63
    Free Member

Funnily enough I was watching the top gear review of that x3 this morning on Dave. It was all going well until he got to the ride which he said was simply appalling!

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

It seems the M sport ones are bad and the and the normal are not much better….

singletrackmind

My next door neighbours just got rid of theirs. BMW wanted £2k to fix a gearbox oil leak and change gearbox oil, service and MOT. So its gone as it as only worth about £10k so they sold it back to the dealer .

jambalaya
    Free Member

Good friend had one 10 years from new. It did have to have the turbo replaced and a few other things you’d perhaps expect with age. He sold or for £4k with 100,000 miles on it.

jambalaya
    Free Member

My next door neighbours just got rid of theirs. BMW wanted £2k to fix a gearbox oil leak and change gearbox oil, service and MOT. So its gone as it as only worth about £10k so they sold it back to the dealer .

So probabky £1k – £1.3k at a good independent and trading in to BMW guaranteed to get a rubbish price. “Only” £10k 😐

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

only worth about £10k

yep only 10k…… I’ve been looking at 7k max… best to keep the money in the bank by the looks of it….

upshift
    Free Member

What is it you want from a new car – space, sportiness, comfort on long journies? Or is the X3 simply the one you fancy (nothing wrong with that!)?

If space and waftiness are important then a 5 Series estate could be a good choice, although I’m not sure what would be available at your budget. There may be some Jaguar XF estates starting to come in at the right price if sportiness is key, otherwise if you’re set on an SUV perhaps have a look on WhatCar to investigate alternatives.

As others have said, being open minded about petrol versions is wise too, especially if the shortlisted car has done relatively few miles for its age and you plan on doing regular short journies, as the cost for exhaust replacements on clogged-up diesels can outweigh the fuel economy savings.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

What is it you want from a new car – space, sportiness, comfort on long journies? Or is the X3 simply the one you fancy (nothing wrong with that!)?

ATM I have a Mk1 Yaris D4D for work which we use when we go camping with a trailer and TBH we could use something bigger. I was looking at a Merc Vito Hyundai iLoad/800 crew van so I could get rid of the trailer and stick the camping gear my engines in the back, but the price/age/millage combo is a bit out of balance for me.

I had a quick look around at what was in my price range that could tow 600kg un-braked, and spotted the odd RAV4, drove one and while it would do the job I wasn’t blown away.
    Next thing was a BMW X3 which I quite liked the look of and felt nice to sit in, though I am yet to drive one.
    I’m yet to see a CRV, might see if there is one near.

I will be doing most of the servicing myself just the major stuff for the garage next door….

Trekster

Clunks from the gearbox could be the transfer box. Speedo drive is in a rear hub = expensive when it fails.
    Son gave up on his and punted it as scrap/repairable!!!!! after lots of issues he could no longer afford…..

upshift
    Free Member

OK – in that case some leftfield choices would be a Jeep Grand Cherokee and Suzuki Grand Vitara. The former can be considered luxury-ish, and the latter should be a bit simpler but if you want a good, hardwearing workhorse you might find it more endearing.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Jeep is a no go, had my back broken by one of those while on the Outer Hebrides on a trip from Uist to Stornaway, TBF that was a Renegade… but I’m not a big Jeep fan TBH. Did have a quick look at the Vitara, must have a better look.

Lexus 220D would be the ideal thing, shame only a 560kg towing limit un-braked.. Shame it isn’t easier to fit a braking unit to my trailer… could tow 900kg with the Yaris then 😉

CountZero

Not helpful but I was in a friends Hyundai SantaFe recently and he’s very happy with it. It’s now 3yrs old and they’re a reliable and comfy alternative

Not a long-term experience, by any stretch of the imagination, but I’ve driven the SantaFe, Tucson and is35, and I’ve been really impressed with all three, very comfy, well equipped, fast enough, and nice looking cars.
    A slightly left-field suggestion, how about a Mazda CX-5? Really nice looking car, and they get very good reviews, particularly handling, but they don’t seem to get the attention from the car-buying public.
    Got to be worth a look.
    https://www.whatcar.com/mazda/cx-5/4×4/review/
    http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/reviews/mazda/cx-5/suv/review

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Been thinking a bit more off field….. Just looking on parkers at what I could tow 600kg with.
    A 1.2 Skoda Yeti is legal to tow what I need…. And probably all the car I need. Just a bit over budget and tow bar fitting looks a PITA.
    But petrol would squash the worry of dpf clogging on a 10 mile (20 round) commute though hills and a30 around here normally warms a car up quite quick.

upshift
    Free Member

I was going to suggest a Fiat Panda 4×4 but figured it might be too small. They’re weirdly charming and they seem able to tow what you need.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

I was going to suggest a Fiat Panda 4×4 but figured it might be too small. They’re weirdly charming and they seem able to tow what you need.

Had a look at Panda’s before, only a 400kg un-braked limit, same as my Yaris.

A normal hatchback would do the job but most have an un-braked limit of 450-550kg. I could get a smaller trailer i suppose… but then I could do my hobby….

This is my biggest load….

[url=https://flic.kr/p/C5ekzX]DSCF5447[/url] by Stephen Williams, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/HRgCaU]IMG_20160618_103428[/url] by Stephen Williams, on Flickr

But it’s normally one more this size, which me and the wife use to lift out of the boot of the car…. she used to play Camogie though….

[url=https://flic.kr/p/FkoMdG]IMG_20160316_181403[/url] by Stephen Williams, on Flickr

moe_szyslak
    Free Member

We had one for a few years, and didn’t really rate it. Amazingly refined at speed, 40mpg, very roomy and looked good. However: Suspension far too hard, engine not powerful enough, build quality poor, HAVE to have matching tyres or caused all manner of (noisy) problem relating to the transmission.

moe_szyslak
    Free Member

FiL’s X3 had a clonk for forever, garage kept sorting it out and invariably the clonk would return ~1000 miles later.

Tyres which were not uniformly worn, or not matching brands/models, 100% guarantee.

scz4
    Free Member

My wife has a 2008 car. Bought with 42k miles 2 1/2 years ago, now on 79k. She loves it, can’t get her to look at anything else. Been a fantastic car, with one exception, the turbo went at 75k miles. But £1k for that, plus £120 for a rear spring in 37k miles really isn’t too bad. Oh and a front washer motor.

We were lucky enough to get the timing chain “quality enhancement” done last year by BMW.

We’ll probably take it to 90k and then look to sell on for the newer model.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘BMW X3 2.0d as bad as the internet makes out?’ is closed to new replies.