• This topic has 16 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by nbt.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Blue Pig update
  • flowmtbguy
    Free Member

Hi all,

Now I've had the Blue Pig for a month now, I though it would be a good time to post an update..

Impressions are very good to say the least. The bike has been able to handle most things I can throw at it. It's been on epic two day rides in to the back of beyond. It's been on quick blasts around here (Morzine) when I've not had the time to ride all day. It's most at home on the Techy stuff – switchbacks are a personal favourite.

It has the ability to inspire confidence and know that the front will roll over stuff if you let it – not get stuck behind an obstacle and throw you off – that'd be the slack head angle then..

Climbing wise – I've not had to do too much of that yet – what with uplifts all around – but the climbs that I have done it's been me rather than the bike that's faltered. It goes up a lot more confidently than most hard tails I've ridden. The front end does wander a bit on the real steep stuff – But then I do have some 160mm forks on there – right on the limit for this frame.

And most importantly – it's never felt out of it's depth around here.

(no, not the Blue Pig, but an example of the sort of riding it's enjoying mostly – steep switch-backs)

Current spec in order of importance is:
    Fox 36 Van R
    Dual Ply Minions
    Short stem
    Big wide bar
    Some round(ish) wheels
    Some brakes that stop
    Some gears that go

I'd like to get a hammershmidttdddddttt on there – but it needs some ISCG mounts and some more money in my bank account before that happens! Failing that a blackspire stinger to keep the chain in check.

wors

Hopefully ordering one in the next couple of weeks, how tall are you, what size frame have have you got?

flowmtbguy
    Free Member

6ft – got the 18 incher.. felt a little big at first standover wise, it's certainly the right length though.

wors

hmm i'm 5'11, need to try but think 16 might be better.

flowmtbguy
    Free Member

You'll get away with it for sure – depends if its your top half or your bottom half that's longer – you don't want to ride it with a long stem…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Anyone compared geo with Alpines?

wors

top half definitely longer 31" legs

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

FYI The Blue Pig is a plywood pub near Hebden Bridge:

flowmtbguy
    Free Member

FYI The Blue Pig is a plywood pub near Hebden Bridge:

it looks cold there.

I prefer it being a bike in the alps 🙂

the_lecht_rocks

god – how i wished for ISCG on the Ragley……..

Hammerschmidt a go-go once it get's resolved !

nbt

the Blue Pig is a working men's club, and also the name of the trail that leads down to it from Heptonstall. MMMBop is another local trail, as is Rodwell [end]…

I'll post some pics of mine tonight, haven't got my camera with me at the moment, but I'm very much enjoying it. No uplifts in the Marple Alps, so I've been riding mine up hill and so far it's behaved impeccably: the long forks (I run 140mm coil pikes, I don't bother winding them down) haven't bothered me at all while climbing, and the forward seat position keeps your weight over the bars nicely. I certainly found the front end less wandery then my mate's Cove Stiffee. I have spun out the back wheel a couple of times, but that could by just the power of my massive thighs (where's the "ironic" smilie?).

Going down it's been great, the headangle and bolt-through forks have really given me confidence and as a result I've cleaned a couple of technical obstacles that to date I've always bottled. I'm still getting used to the length and angle of the forks, it takes a lot longer for the wheel to bite now and I've had a couple of scary moments thinking the front end was going to wash out before it bit and swooped me round

nbt

Pics as promised

Simon, did you not notice the pig topiary as you were snapping those photos?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Simon, did you not notice the pig topiary as you were snapping those photos?

it seems not 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Quick question. Where do I find Rodwell? 🙂
    (I'm going this aft).

nbt

Here
    http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=395820&Y=424890&A=Y&Z=115&ax=395820&ay=424890

Rodwell End A (western side) is the usual descent for us, only done Rodwell End B (eastern side) as a climb but looks like it'd be a good descent too

hora
    Free Member

I think I know it- starts off between a tight path between old soot-dark cottages then ends up ina picnic/parking area on the main road?

nbt

Yep

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Blue Pig update’ is closed to new replies.