Viewing 30 posts - 241 through 270 (of 270 total)
  • Bloody smug b***ard motorcyclist
  • bigyinn
    Free Member

Are we all friends again now? 😉

stumpy01

nickc – Member
    The public roads however are no place for scaring people, even if you know what you're doing.

This pretty much sums it up for me, I'm a completely average driver and lapsed motorcyclist, I understand the point that PP and TJ are making entirely. You can do stuff on a bike that appears to be dangerous, but it's not really, but if you scare the crap out of Mr and Mrs average whilst they're on the way back from Tesco, then in reality it's just as bad. Consideration for other road users is the missing piece of this particular puzzle.

Bing Bing – EXACTLY!!

Tried to write this a few times, but didn't manage it so eloquently and kept giving up.
    Consideration for road users is the key phrase that I was missing. Excellent!

konabunny
    Free Member

I have 1000cc's of Italian

You catch it in a cup or something?

Jamie
    Free Member

You catch it in a cup or something?

I lol'd.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Being old has it's advantages as that's about what it costs me to insure my CBR600F fully comp. It doesn't manage 72mpg though…

£72 – That's for me and Mrs PP to ride, by the way, including commuting.
    Scooters can get hammered on the insurance sometimes, becasue they are seen as very nickable….

I was insuring a Ducati Monster for about £30 more last year…..

juan
    Free Member

Do you defend the wheelying through no mans land and almost hitting someone tho?

Well I am a bit septic on the "almost". I'd like to have the motorcycle point of view as I suspect he left plenty of space. As for training:
    Car, 20 hours of practice on the street with an instructor on your side. mostly out of peak hours.
    Bike, 25 hours on a track at slow and fast speed to learn basics manoeuvres such as emergency stop, emergency dodge (both side), slalom U-turn. Another 25 hours on the road. And safety checks on the motorcycle.
    That what a motorcyclist have to protect himself. Now, compare it with useless airbag, ABS and tell me where the coolness is ;).

Dobbo

Drifted in and out of consciousness reading a few pages of this one… one thing that hits me is the assumption that experience, time spent driving, and miles done are a measure of safety, my boss does a large mileage per year, been driving for many years and drives like a bellend, cutting in at the last minute, on phone etc… also these old boys dordeling about causing pile ups and going for a spin the wrong way up a motorway. Then there's the reps on the motorway catching up on a bit of paperwork or clinching the deal on the phone doing 95 mph while undertaking…. Yeah experience and mileage are a true measure of a driver 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

I'd like to have the motorcycle point of view as I suspect he left plenty of space.

Hah, cos they always do, right?! You're really weird, Juan. Really.

+1 for Dobbo.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Molgrips – whats plenty of space to a motorcyclist and a car driver are not the same.

dobbo – car driving and motorcycle riding are not the same – thats the point that the car drivers on this thread cannot grasp.. Think of walkers reactions to MTBs. Teh MTBers are always going too fast too close to the walkers even when we know they are not.

Its a simple point that people just cannot grasp. What appears to be unsafe to a cr driver may not be in anyway. The car driver simply does not have the knowledge to make a valid judgement.

muddy_bum
    Free Member

I was a fast smoooth skilled rider tho – the stealth type you don't notice hopefully.

Until I'm bouncing off your windscreen.

The problem with road safety is that you are at the mercy of everyone else. This is particularly true if your on a bike.

69er
    Free Member

TJ in 'I know better than you shocker'…

The car driver simply does not have the knowledge to make a valid judgement.

and now you're not allowed to argue!

FYI I have a car licence, motorbike, lgv, I cycle on the road and off road and I even ride horses. This equips to make the following judgement:

TJ is a c&nt.

I thankyou.

molgrips
    Free Member

Molgrips – whats plenty of space to a motorcyclist and a car driver are not the same.

Teej, we've been over this already on this thread. I do appreciate this. We have also established however that motorcyclists do sometimes ride like dicks, and do dangerous stuff.

Some riding I see makes me think 'oh that's dangerous'. Now, you have no way of knowing if what I think is dangerous really is, or if it's just me being anti-motorcyclist.. do you?

For example, my wife is frequently horrified when riders zip past on country roads in short spaces, with approaching cars. I usually defend the cyclist using the exact same argument you are using. However, sometimes riders take the piss, as I am sure you will agree.

From the sound of it, MF's case was one of the piss-taking ones. He's not a nervous old grannie – I am sure that if he felt it was a near miss, then it probably was. In any case, who f*cking cares? Are you trying to prove that MF's judgement is slightly more conservative than yours? Why would you care?

We've been over it, leave it.

And Juan – you're an idiot defending someone you don't know doing something you didn't see in a place you don't know, just because they like bikes and you also like bikes. Really – think about it.

Dobbo

dobbo – car driving and motorcycle riding are not the same – thats the point that the car drivers on this thread cannot grasp.. Think of walkers reactions to MTBs. Teh MTBers are always going too fast too close to the walkers even when we know they are not.

False. Take motorcycle couriers, city riding or motorway riding.

And yes I do have a motorbike license.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Surely motorcycle riders should also ride with consideration for other road users, by not scaring them with teir actions?
    Im fully aware that what a car driver perceives as a dangerous speed / manouvre (sp) by a bike rider may not be anything of the sort from the riders perspective. But surely in an ideal world the riders should factor this in and think about their actions and how other perceive them first?
    Put the rider in the pedestrians shoes in this scenario:- car comes flying up to a pedestrian crossing and slams the anchors on at the last minute whislt someone is crossing, scaring the crap out of the pedestrian, before coming to an abrupt stop. The driver knows they are able to stop in time, but the pedestrian doesnt know that. You wouldnt do it if you were a considerate driver would you?
    Whilst this arguement is about perspective, it should also be about consideration.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Think abut it in relation to MTBers and ramblers.

Most on here slow down to what they deem is reasonable and pass with plenty of room when passing ramblers but many ramblers see this as passing too close too fast.

bigyinn
    Free Member

TJ, you've just re-written my example!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I have 1000cc's of Italian v-twin if you'd prefer to look a bit less gay.

That actually sounds MORE gay to be honest.

Any excuse to dress up in leather

molgrips
    Free Member

Im fully aware that what a car driver perceives as a dangerous speed / manouvre (sp) by a bike rider may not be anything of the sort from the riders perspective

Exaclty.. when I am passing walkers on the trail I slow right down to a walking pace so they are not annoyed with me. I could easily and safely whiz by and a fair clip but I don't.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Bigyin – indeed – but on this forum MTBers complain that ramblers get upset even when left with plenty of room( from the MTbers perspective)

Its all about your perspective. On this thread MF and Molgrips are in the ramblers role 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

I'm on the side of co-operation, safety and understanding…

bigyinn
    Free Member

Indeed, I think we're all in agreement about the pespective side, but there has to be consideration on the part of the bikers, which i think is Molgrips / M-F's point.

boblo
    Free Member

Is this still going? I thought peace broke out 2 pages ago….

Junkyard
    Free Member

FFS are you still at it?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

No – my point was, from about 2 pages in, TJ is an argumentative sort and won't ever let something go.

It has been funny to continue to read his posts 😆

boblo
    Free Member

mastiles_fanylion – Member
    No – my point was, from about 2 pages in, TJ is an argumentative sort and won't ever let something go.

It has been funny to continue to read his posts

Errrr, right. Pot, kettle, black.

molgrips
    Free Member

TJ is an argumentative sort and won't ever let something go

I did actually get an admission out of him once. I think it was about recovery drinks.

Dobbo

Its all about your perspective. On this thread MF and Molgrips are in the ramblers role

And you are in the motorbike courier role, f**cking everyone off and acting like a knob? 😆

Amos
    Free Member

+1 Junkyard!

Sometimes drivers drive like dicks and soometimes motorcyclists ride like dicks sometimes i drive like a dick and sure sometimes even JT drives/rides like a dick it's frustrating but we're only human (mmmmmaaaannnn) So can't we all try a walk a mile in each others shoes and then life can carry on nicely in STW world

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Errrr, right. Pot, kettle, black.

But I eventually learnt to stop rising to his posts – I did admit to doing so a few pages ago.

boblo
    Free Member

mastiles_fanylion – Member

But I eventually learnt to stop rising to his posts – I did admit to doing so a few pages ago.

Yet you're still here, pick, pick, picking away. Good job you don't suffer from 'last word-itis'. Bit like Mrs Boblo….. Ah well.

Viewing 30 posts - 241 through 270 (of 270 total)

The topic ‘Bloody smug b***ard motorcyclist’ is closed to new replies.