• This topic has 10 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by ski.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Blood test question
  • dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

How long does it take for the body to replace blood after blood tests? I'm meant to get a test tomorrow, but I'm feeling really run down/anaemic at the moment and wondering whether I should delay my tests until I'm feeling better…?

crikey
    Free Member

A standard FBC, U&E, clotting and a bit for luck comes in at about 15mls, and your total blood volume is about 5 litres.

It's not a lot of blood, and certainly not enough to make the slightest difference to you, anaemic or not.

ollie
    Free Member

How much blood do they take at your Docs?? Mine only take a small amount, Are you sure they're not vampires??

jond
    Free Member

Mebbe more reason to have the blood test now ? – it'll tell you if you really are anaemic, rather than just feeling a bit run-down – a few times whilst at uni I was turned away from donating blood 'cos I was anaemic, despite feeling fine.

They don't take that much blood IME, certainly nowhere near as much compared to donating blood.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

last time i had tests done, they took 3 syringes full. i don't think it will be that much this time but i usually feel faint and or pass out afterwards. i'm not getting tested for anaemia so it won't make a difference to the test – i'm just wondering whether its a good idea when i'm feeling so bad. 🙂

thejesmonddingo

The three syringes normally total 15-20 mls,not enough to have any physical effect.Based on the usual haematology rule of thumb,that 500mls is replaced in a week,it will take about 16 hours to replace,unless you have a serious problem,in which case,the result is more important than the blood loss.
    Ian

carlosg
    Free Member

according to my sister who works for the vampires(national blood service)the fluid taken during a full donation is replaced in about 24 hours , the red and white cells/antibodies ect take about 72 hours so you should have your 15ml back in an hour or so.

ski
    Free Member

You could be like me and needles just make us feel faint 😉

Speak with the Nurse/Doc if you are concerned.

TPTcruiser

Its four months between blood donation appointments but I think the fluid lost is replaced within 24 hours – and that's a whole pint! A bit longer for red blood cells to recover.
    Have a couple of pints of Guinness the night before?

Make sure they know when they take the blood that you need plenty of recovery time and a cup of tea. Don't let them whisk you out.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

okay, i guess i will have the test then. i just don't really want to feel worse than i do at the moment whilst i'm "lower" on blood even if its not that much (i'm seriously struggling to function normally, no energy, can't sleep etc and my iron tabs are taking a while to kick in)

ski, its not the needles as i don't look and i'm fine when i get acupuncture. it happened when i got my piercings as well, just a blood sugar/adrenaline thing.

ski
    Free Member

Guinness sounds a good cure, must try that one 😉

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Blood test question’ is closed to new replies.