Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Bleeding kits
  • singletracksurfer

Is their a universal bleed kit that will actually bleed all brakes types? I have a selection of brakes including Avid, Magura, Hope and Shimano (may end up with some Hayes on another bike now too)!

Got some syringes that i’ve always used in the past, but Magura and Avid require specific bits – would I have to get these seperately from the universal bleed kit?

Thanks for your bleeding help 🙂

likeabiker
    Free Member

They must be specific to each bike – I have a hope kit, but I haven’t used it because they’re easy to do without it – and frankly, I found the instructions to be very confusing!

a11y

I don’t believe you can buy the little bits required for connecting the hose to Avids for bleeding. I do believe Avid are the same as Formula – or at least I hope they are as I’ve ordered an Avid kit to bleed my Formula’s…

The Formula bleed kit is a good bit cheaper but hasn’t been in stock in the Uk for a couple of months – I couldn’t hold off any longer.

Just remember to use specific stuff for mineral oil or DOT brakes though – don’t use the same syringes, tubing, etc.

steel4real
    Free Member

In answer to you actual question.

Universal bleed kit:-

Here it is !

singletracksurfer

thanks

thats the kit I was thinking of (hadn’t seen the compatable brakes listed before).

Looks like I just need to find/blag some fixings for Avids/Formulas with this kit then – is that right/possible?

Thanks

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Avid fittings don’t fit all Formula brakes. They’ve got a wider shoulder on the adapter. Formula’s should fit Avid’s though.

singletracksurfer

can I pick up just the fittings anywhwere (for Avid or Formula)?

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

I saw on here a while ago that someone was doing kits. The adapters are a standard thing but I’m not sure what you’d call them!

thecrackfox
    Free Member

Or

null

singletracksurfer

aha that alligator looks good – anyone got/used one or know why they wouldn’t include Avid if they do Formula and Shimano for that reason – they’re dead simple.

Thanks.

roystonsmith
    Free Member

I’ll do reply later tonight. I’m at work now.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Alligator discussion on ‘nother site

With a nice video of a strange man 🙂

singletracksurfer

thanks. what did you want to add roystonsmith?

roystonsmith
    Free Member

Right then….

First of all, some of the following has been gleaned from previous threads, both here and elsewhere, so credit to you if you recognise something you’ve posted previously.

I’ve got a set of Magura Louises and this adapter fits the calliper (even though it says rim brakes). It’s M6 thread so you can check if it would fit yours. For the lever it’s just a friction fit of the syringe end.

For Avid you need something like this (M5 thread A344-4.5-M5 or A345-4.5-M5). The threaded bit is actually a bit shorter than ideal. I have a set of Juicy 3’s and a set of Juicy 5’s. The lever on both is the same and sloping so you need to cut the hexagonal nut part back a bit. The caliper on the 5’s is a bango and perfectly flat so the adapter fits perfectly. The caliper on the 3’s has a ridge so also needs a bit of the hexagonal nut part cut a bit. How do you cut the hexagonal parts back easily? Simple, in a lathe or, of you haven’t got a lathe in your tool box, something very similar – an electric drill.

Right, off to the pub now. May add a bit when I get back.

pdw
    Free Member

Avid fittings don’t fit all Formula brakes. They’ve got a wider shoulder on the adapter. Formula’s should fit Avid’s though.

I think this is the other way round. I have one of these these kits, and the adapters don’t fit Avid Juicy 3s without some modification because the shoulder on the adapter is too wide.

roystonsmith
    Free Member

Right, back now.

Damn, beaten to it while I was down the pub. I was going to suggest the bleed kit pdw has already mentioned and the other link shows the type of thing you have to do to the adapters to reshape them.

There are also these bleed kits you may be interested in. There are also some instructions here.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Bleeding kits’ is closed to new replies.