Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Blair Atholl & Tomintoul B&B + Eateries – Your Recommendations please
  • danti

Anyone know of good bike friendly BnBs in either of the above?
    Secure Bike storage and loads of porridge are high on the priorities

Also places that serve good quality nosh at night, don't mind whether its a chippy/pizza/take out or restaurant.

Planning in June on doing the Tour of the Cairngorms from the V Graphics Scotland Wild Trails book
    Anyone done this and do you have any tips/advice on the route?

Thanks

mcmoonter
    Free Member

There is a good restaurant in Tomintoul at the corner of the square, and a couple of cafes too.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Yup – Clockhouse in Tomintoul is excellent. They do a brilliant starter which is called something like the Clocktower. Highly recommended.

I did a two day Tour de Cairngorms last June, starting in Blair Atholl and overnighting in Tomintoul.

I'll post some photos and a map in a minute…

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Stayed in Argyle House B&B which was very welcoming and bike-friendly (bike wash, secure storage, huge breakfast).

Route map:

Some photos

Email in profile if you want any more info.

allyharp

I had a really nice pheasant burger in the Atholl Arms hotel once *

* I had just done the Glen Tilt look and had run out of water and food hours before, so anything would have tasted magnificent.

tjr666
    Free Member

The Atholl Arms is ace, loved that place…we just camped at the Blair Castle Park and ate at the Atholl every night. Brilliant week. Theres the Moulin Inn which is not too far away either. Pitlochry is worth a punt as a base as well.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

As for advice…

Pace yourself. It's about 200km all in with quite a few remote stretches so make sure you carry enough food to get you between re-stocking opportunities (basically Glenmore and Braemar). Don't carry too much. We did it with everything in rucksacks, including "evening wear", which was surprisingly heavy and caused arse pain within about a mile of setting off. You get used to it, but try to carry as little as you consider safe.

Nuun tablets for hydration are brilliant.

The singletrack from White Bridge into Glen Tilt is very good.

Glen Tilt is NOT downhill all the way, so don't relax when you hit the Falls of Tarf.

If you plan to eat in Glenmore, don't arrive too late or the cafe's will be shut and you'll have a long, hungry haul through some empty countryside before you arrive in Tomintoul.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

The promised tailwind at the Falls of Tarf ALWAYS changes direction.

danti

Cheers for the advice esp stuartie_c

I'm planning on doing Blair Atholl to Tomintoul 1st day then back to Blair Atholl on the 2nd. 1st day looks like approx 110k!
    Have done this kind of distance before in the Peaks (Lord of the Loops) so hopefully should be ok, just need to set off early in the morning.

Thanks

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Blair Atholl & Tomintoul B&B + Eateries – Your Recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.