Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Blackspire Stinger – setup tips?
  • acjim
    Free Member

Popped a Stinger on my 1×9 hardtail to try and keep the chain on. Out for a ride yesterday and the chain was off more than it was on!

I’ve found some online instructions for installation (none in the packet) but was wondering if anyone had any real life tips.

setup
    shimano hone ext bb, 68mm shell, 32 tooth middle ring, blackspire bash

ta!

jam-bo

its a dual ring device, designed to work with a front mech.

have you got anything keeping the chain on at the top?

acjim
    Free Member

is it? damn. Bought it to replace a redundant front mech. doh!

sootyandjim
    Free Member

There’s your problem, 32 tooth ring.

The Stinger is falling about laughing at such a girly gearing and is knocking your chain off in the process.

😉

Honestly, try a slightly bigger ring, Blackspire Stingers (in my experience) work best with a 36ish toothed ring on the front (its what I run with mine).

MrAgreeable

Get a DMR chain cage and you’ll be laughing. Or just an old front mech with the limit screws bodged/cable reversed.

acjim
    Free Member

ok, but that would mean a new bash – (34 max at the mo) – a new ring etc – boohoo! don’t have the cash at the moment.

Would removing a couple of chain links improve matters?

acjim
    Free Member

MrA. I don’t want a front mech – it’ll ruin the baggy jean vibe! 8)

Adam@Homers
    Free Member

Remove and replace with e13 srs or lg1.
    Fixed.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Would removing a couple of chain links improve matters?

I presumed you had done that already!

MrAgreeable

If you’re referring to the problem of your kecks catching on the front mech/top of the guide, I don’t find it an issue and I regularly ride in trousers that would put Kriss Kross to shame.

acjim
    Free Member

The chain is as short as I would normally run it for a single ring – i.e. rear mech arm at about 4 o’clock when in the largest sprocket. Should I go shorter?

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Adam@Homers – Bit of a price difference between a Blackspire Stinger and an E13 SRS or LG1. Bit of a difference in the actual make-up of them as chain devices, what with the Stinger being a simple (and relatively light) roller and the E13/LG1 being a comparatively heavy and more complex device.

Not really helpful advice on the whole.

acjim
    Free Member

Do you reckon it would be possible (and cheaper) to fabricate a replica of this on the cheap using diy tools and a sheet of alu? It seems to be essentially a circle with 8 holes.

Black Guard
    “Replaces the granny ring to help retain the chain on mid-ring/Bashring setups. Becomes an affordable alternative to a chainguide when paired up with the Blackspire Stinger”

and yes I’m skint – cheap solutions required!

MrAgreeable

A mate made a BMX grind disc out of one of those white plastic chopping boards. It was a bit rubbish to be honest…

richc
    Free Member

its a dual ring chain device so I would expect the chain to jump off to be honest.

You could try putting on a standard blackspire roller for a single ring chain device and seeing if that works, as I don’t see why it wouldn’t.

acjim
    Free Member

cheers rich

Mr.A; chopping board bash – sounds proper ‘core – 🙂

Adam@Homers
    Free Member

I would agree that there is a substantial price difference, and I was being somewhat irreverent, BUT you cant accuse an LG1 of being heavy 😉

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Blackspire Stinger – setup tips?’ is closed to new replies.