Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Blacked out car windows. What's that all about then?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

Driving through Rosyth this morning I saw a beat up Vauxhall Astra with blacked out windows. If Beyonce was going to visit Rosyth, I think she'd choose a more exclusive form of transport. I was then passed by someone in a flashy Audi A6 with the same window treatment. Why would anyone want to black out their car windows and be lumped along with the chavs?

ourmaninthenorth

Why would anyone want to black out their car windows and be lumped along with the chavs?

Er, they are chavs?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Thats what it said to me.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    falkirk-mark

Surley if its an estate then its good for privacy for camping, 10 under the ben etc

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

good for keeping your bikes & stuff out of sight from scumbags

uplink
    Free Member

Undertaker's 'lifting' car?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

It's stylin' innit.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I was thinking a similar thing last week. Regarding the hiding bike etc thing – it doesn't really work does it as you can still see through the windows to a certain extent. And if I was a thief then I'd be more inclined to look in the window of a blacked out car on the assumption that the owner has something to hide.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

it's stops peodos looking at your kids in the back seat.

binners

Mine are blacked out on my estate. It keeps the sun out of the kids eyes in the back. And the scrotes can't see into the back, which quite often has my bike in

Oh… and I'm actually Tim Westwood

glenh
    Free Member

It's about pretending to be a pimp, innit.

"stops peodos [sic] looking at your kids" – LOL

Olly
    Free Member

though i look at it the other way.

Blacked out windows means either, there is something to hide, or the person thinks that they are safe to leave thier phone/laptop/bike in the back BECAUSE they have blacked out windows.
    so even if there is nothing inside, its worth putting a brick through the window just to check.

they may not be able to get your bike out the window, but youve had the window smashed in.

stumpy01

Hmmm, I have been thinking about getting the rear windows of my car tinted. Figured it would stop casual thieves seeing what was on display.

Can't decide whether to or not.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

they may not be able to get your bike out the window

damn pedalphiles, hang the lot of them i say

uplink
    Free Member

Oh… and I'm actually Tim Westwood

you can't be – I met you once & you're definitely not black
    Liar, liar, pants on fire

😀

binners

WE"RE BLASTING OFF BABY!!!!

khani
    Free Member

it means no one is going to let you out of a side street because they dont know if your looking or not

mcmoonter
    Free Member

While we are at it, why do drivers with tinted windows insist on wearing sunglasses while driving?

stumpy01

erm – you can't legally have your front side windows tinted much more than the standard manufacturer tint anyway, so being let out of junctions should be the least of your worries if you have them limo black.
    Lots of people do though.

I was just going to get my rear side and rear screen done a mid-tint to keep my bike out of plain view and also the pile of camping stuff that sometimes sits in the back during the summer.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

"it means no one is going to let you out of a side street because they dont know if your looking or not"

No, thats actually illegal now, you have to have the front windows and windscreen clear.

Olly
    Free Member

you can tint the front side windows to a degree, but not fully.

das politzie have a little doo dah that measures the tint.

the front allowed is minimal, but it doesnt have to be totally clear.

takisawa2

Perhaps they just like the privacy. 😕

odannyboy
    Free Member

ive heard of a celeb who is quite often picked up from places in london (no joke) in an old mates beaten up old astra as it the last thing people expect.. 😉

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

i've the rear of my car done mainly because you cant see what's in the back (bits of bikes, some tools and my scuddy books).

Also it looks the bling innit*

* not really true as I have a berlingo

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Olly – Member

Blacked out windows means either, there is something to hide, or the person thinks that they are safe to leave thier phone/laptop/bike in the back BECAUSE they have blacked out windows.
    so even if there is nothing inside, its worth putting a brick through the window just to check

Carried the dead in with blacked out windows for years….. treat the car like a slag and never worried about where I park or leave it but never been broken into

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

Olly – Member

so even if there is nothing inside, its worth putting a brick through the window just to check

another thing is that for some blacked out windows, the tinting prevents shattering of the glass and is also quite difficult to penetrate. So for the scummy opportunity thief, it acts as a deterrent as its lot of hastle & time consuming to potentially find nothing worth nicking. (unless of course they do the locks instead)

HeatherBash
    Free Member

People do silly things to Astras, Novas, Saxos etc etc etc…

Loads of cars come with black rear windows as standard – mine included. Failing to see any negatives tbh

coffeeking
    Free Member

I've been a bit torn with this, I first saw it as advertising content, but then later realised that when looking about a carpark, especially in low light, you don't tend to "see" cars with tinted windows specifically, you tend to see odd stuff, things sticking up, highly coloured things. Black (or highly tinted) windows sort of blend into the background. ~Add to that the fact that, as said above, its a damn sight harder to get through a tinted window so takes more time, I think it provides an overall deterrent, but at the end of the day I have had my windows smashed and my boot searched in an empty car, as have members of my family – it seems they either do it pro-actively to find stuff, or see stuff and react. It's swings and roundabouts, but I think there's overall added security rather than reduced, as it removes that immediately visible bright green bike that catches the eye in a carpark full of other more expensive cars when you've stopped for a bite to eat. That said I still lock my bikes into my car, but I will probably be tinting my estate when I get chance, it does look better regardless of what it's associated with, I don't do things for what other people think.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

How do we do the boxy quote thing above?

coffeeking
    Free Member

square bracket quote squarebracket text square bracket /quote square bracket

Milkie
    Free Member

My mate has Limo tint on the rears and a tint on the fronts. He did it to keep the car cool in the summer & for added security.

I must admit, it makes a hell of a difference! He can get in the car and drive off as soon as he opens the car up. My car has a nearly non existent tint and in the summer you cannot drive for at least 10 minutes, otherwise you are welded to the seats. Well I mean, on the two days of summer we get!

gravitysucks
    Free Member

CK is that a new language???

square bracket quote squarebracket text square bracket /quote square bracket

worth a punt…

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Whhheeey Horaah for me 🙂

tracknicko
    Free Member

my back van windows are tinted (innit) they dont open so it stops me back passengers sweating in the mid day sun, plus stops any theiving scrotes seeing my bikes or mx bike when its in the van.

a chav seeing an mx bike in a van is like fat kid being faced with a cake tin.

tankslapper
    Free Member

ayz keep ma windas blaked out coz it luks rite wkd! speziali wen rolin wiv ma crew….iniit

bruneep

Driving through Rosyth this morning I saw a beat up Vauxhall Astra with blacked out windows.

…and you were surprised? Thank **** I moved away from that sh1te hole.

votchy
    Free Member

The things I dislike about the current trend of privacy glass as standard fit on vehicles are:

Difficulty in pulling out of a car park space due to not being able to see through the windows of the car next to you.
    Difficulty at T-junctions and roundabouts, unable or reduced ability to read the road as every car with privacy glass alongside you is the same as a van/truck.

Having used vehicles with privacy glass I also recognise the benefits too.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

They're just shy.

Or they're snorting huge lines of cocaine and shagging prostitutes.

avdave2

agoraphobic doggers

skidartist
    Free Member

the tinting prevents shattering of the glass and is also quite difficult to penetrate

quite the opposite actually the tinted film holds all the shattered parts together so you can take the broken glass out pretty much whole, a particular bonus if you want to steel the car rather than something out of the car, you don't get broken glass stuck in your arse, and you don't need to try and clean out all the broken shards before you fence it

and the best bit – with the film fitted the window breaks almost silently, and what you do hear sounds nothing like glass being broken.

So tinting the windows in the hope of avoiding theft is just going to result in getting the window broken just to have a casual look around, as you can break it without worrying about attracting attention.

If you own a van something you have to get used to is your empty van getting broken into regularly just for a nosy.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Blacked out car windows. What's that all about then?’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts