Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Black chilli compound
  • ratherbeintobago

Supposed to be grippy without too much drag. Is it as good as they say?

Andy

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Impressively grippy IMO – drag depends more on the tread pattern that the compound – again IMO. Quick wearing tho

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I’m not taht impressed with my BC Rubber Queens. The bike came with a set (damn expensive tyres too)and they seem to be skitish instead of sticking. I’ve stuck a 2.5 60A Minion DHF on the front now and it’s much better.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    13thfloormonk

On their MTB tyres (Rubber Queens again) I liked it, might have been flattering myself but was sure I noticed the lack of drag, and definitely found them grippy. Can’t remember how they performed on descents, evidently OK as I can’t remember!

The road tyres seem to live up to the hype, definitely fast and grippy, seem to be long lasting but then I don’t do much mileage by ‘proper’ roadie standards.

MSP

I’m not taht impressed with my BC Rubber Queens. The bike came with a set (damn expensive tyres too)and they seem to be skitish instead of sticking. I’ve stuck a 2.5 60A Minion DHF on the front now and it’s much better.

Not really comparing equivalents there, rubber queens are not the downhill tyres in the continental range.

enduro-aid
    Free Member

I’m running BC mountian king and i have to say very impressed so far very grippy nice and light even for the 2.4 that ive got and certainly rolls well

chiefgrooveguru

It’s black chili compoundS (plural). They all have this stuff:

http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/de/en/continental/bicycle/general/innovation/blackchili_en.html

…but some are gripper, some are quicker rolling, some are better in the wet, etc. They’re using it in car tyres now as well:

http://63.240.88.234/special-report/tested-continental-contisportcontact-5-p

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Not really comparing equivalents there, rubber queens are not the downhill tyres in the continental range.

So? It was worse than the 2.35 Minion DHF 60A that I had on my hardtail. Both the 2.5 and 2.35 were single ply, so they aren’t DH tyres either.

MSP

Minions are grippy as hell, and for grip alone are better than the rubber queens, but they are also draggy as hell, the rubber queen is a more general purpose tyre. The continental equivalent would be der kaiser or der barron, which I haven’t tried.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I have a protection and a black chilli compound version of the same tyre and the BC is considerably better in all conditions and terrain. It’s even grippy on wet roots.

jedi

i sacked off my rubber queens bc now as they kept blowing off the rim and miss shaped. i am now trying schwable hans dampf. look the same tread wise and same compound!

tallgavin
    Free Member

Didn’t have a great experience of rubber queens. Found them a bit skittish on bumpy descents and lost confidence in them. Went over to minions and haven’t looked back. Don’t find the minions too draggy either.

schmiken

Yep. Got Race Kings, Twisters and Speed Kings in Black Chili. Great tyres.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Didn’t have a great experience of rubber queens. Found them a bit skittish on bumpy descents and lost confidence in them. Went over to minions and haven’t looked back. Don’t find the minions too draggy either.

Bang on what I think!

tony24
    Free Member

I am currently using bc x king protection there fantastic not had a problem tubeless since I got them sealed they are well quick in the dry and certainly grippy enough. In the wet they have even surprised me and get me through sloppy mud too.

They have done 500 miles or so mix of road/off road xc riding and they still look like new !

Northwind

Does seem to me that conti still need their flashy, espensive rubber in order to make tyres that perform the same as everyone else’s normal rubber. I fancy trying the new Baron though… Was a bit underwhelmed by the rubber queen after all the hype, and my mountain king supersonics were just rotten (all the grip of a fast tyre, all the drag of a grippy tyre)

Shandy
    Free Member

I’ve been using a set of Barons on a mix of muddy trails and roads/tow paths, due to only having one bike working. They aren’t wearing quickly. Its somewhere between the Maxxis 42 and 60 in terms of grip, rolling resistance and wear.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Black chilli compound’ is closed to new replies.