Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Bivvyists kit list please
  • catfood
    Free Member

Me and a mate are off bivvying soon, gonna start off with a night or two away, probably North Downs onto South Downs.

Had a search on here but cannot find a kit list that people take with them, there is the obvious sleeping bag, bivvy bag, mat, stove, food, tools etc but what else do people take?

marty
    Free Member

book, camera, booze. and less the 2nd time. 😉

sc-xc

Dave did a really good article about bivvying a few months back (just checked – issue 43)

here’s the stuff they reviewed:

Alpkit Gourdon 20 Backpack

Alpkit Pipedream 400 Sleeping Bag

Alpkit Wee Airic Sleeping Mat

Alpkit Hunka Bivvy Bag

Alpkit Mytimug

OMM Classic 25 Backpack

OMM Mummery Sleeping Bag

PHD Minimus Sleeping Bag

Marmot Hydrogen Sleeping Bag

Rab Superlight Bivvy Bag

Osprey Talon 33 Backpack

Trek Mates Bivvy Bag

Generic Sleeping Mat

Thermarest Prolite 3 Sleeping Mat

Thermarest Z-Lite Sleeping Mat

MSR Pocket Rocket Stove

MSR Titan Mug

White Box Alcohol Stove

Duo Tarp

Deuter Trans Alpine 30 Backpack

Snugpak Softie Merlin Sleeping Bag

Eurohike Solid Fuel Stove

Topeak Bikamper EXP Tent

Terra Nova Laser Competition Tent

but it’s worth downloading the mag if you don’t have it for the full story.

thomthumb
    Free Member

wooly hat
    hip flask
    my top tip is pants to sleep in: better than sweaty bike shorts.
    dried apricots and mixed nuts for breakfast

unsponsored
    Free Member

I would like to recommend this site. – http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk

Not connected at all just a happy customer. He’s internet based but was quite happy for me to turn up in person to buy some kit off him. He’s based on the Wynyard Ind est for those of you from the Teesside area.

I’m planning a similar series of jaunts in the summer hols.

MSR Pocket rocket and Titan stove combi.
    Thermarest Prolite 4
    Outdoor research goretex bivi – £60 new from the states
    Osprey talon rucksack
    Rab Quatumn 250 endurance down bag from Tower ridge

Dave
    Free Member

I second sc-xc’s suggestion :o)

crouch_potato
    Free Member

Take as little as possible. For the North Downs and a couple of days (having never been and therefore overpreparing and assuming the weather is set fair) I’d go for riding clothes, some fleecy/silk shorts for relaxing in the evening, primaloft/down top (more of this later), mug on a clip (to scoop up water on the go), multi tool and tube, large wide necked water bottle (easy to fill from streams), half sleeping bag AKA pied d’elephant (wear insulated top if necessary) Food of choice, toothbrush, film cannister of suncream and midge repellent/skin so soft (if you get midges that is- probably not). All of that should fit in a 30l pack no problem. Might take a bivvy bag, might not bother depending on where I was sleeping.

Wouldn’t bother with a mat or stove unless temperatures are likely to be low, sleeping on rock or rain was likely. In that case I might opt for a tarp rather than a bivvy bag, or if in a forested area a hammock and tarp combo. Bubble wrap can also be used as a very light sleeping mat. Use your pack filled with riding clothes as a pillow. Hip flask with a decent single malt is an option.

For a first trip I can’t think you’d need anything other than that listed above, and although with time you’ll develop your own preferences, anything more is luxury 😉

catfood
    Free Member

Thanks for the relpies so far, downloaded issue 43 but it wont work, doh!

james-o
    Free Member

merino top, or a dry other top for when you stop
    a firesteel flint incase of wet stove lighter
    headtorch
    hat for cold mornings
    strong filter coffee, and filters altho socks work )

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

i wouldnt be with out a stove, mainly becase they make life so much nicer.

bird hides (awesome because they’r often marked on a map) or other huts/outbuildings provide a degree of protection from the elements. Remember that in summer everything you leave outside will get covered in condenastion.

Trust the forecast, if it realy does end in an unpredicted torrential downpour you can always got to bed early. But at least you woint have carried a ful set of waterproofs arroud for three days ine the boiling hot sun.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Bivvyists kit list please’ is closed to new replies.