Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Bivi bag vs hammock, discuss
  • robinbetts
    Free Member

Seeing chat about biviing is getting me keen on the idea again. Looked into getting some kit together last month, but when I saw the cost, and bulk of going the bivi bag route (decent bivi and mat ~£300), it but me off a bit. Then came across the idea of hammock and tarp (~£50 and no need for mat). Would have thought that it'd be more comfy as well. What are peoples thoughts/experiences on this? Issues finding trees? I would have thought this would be ok if you plan your route well…

Sam

I've known people who do it and some love it. As you say, finding somewhere to tether it can be an issue. Personally I find it very difficult to sleep in one because of the movement and that you need to be flat on your back.

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

I've got a army surplus bivi £25, Mats, you can get cheap ones but no you really need it for one night!!!

highclimber
    Free Member

you need to hang a hammock, you can use a bivvy almost anywhere!

soma_rich
    Free Member

£300?? Hunka from Alpkit £25 and a wee Airic was £25 not long ago.

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

When it comes to mats, I guess you dont really need a full size one was thinking of this one Click me anyone tested these

cp

I've an alpkit bag – excellent kit. normal one is out of stock, but the XL size is in stock at £50. plus £35 for a mat from the same place and you're sorted 🙂

cp

having had a 3/4 length mat, I'd always now go the full length route, and try and get a lightweight one.

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Just out of intrest why go for a full length one, if you in a bivi it doesnt matter right?

trail_rat
    Free Member

rarely even use a mat. let alone a full length – do you bivy on rocks ?

heather is super comfy , sand is also comfy …

bivy bag and sleeping bag – all you need , the rest is just extravagance for an over night trip

Nick

I've never missed not having a full length mat

flatfish
    Free Member

going to cost a bit more than £50 to stay warm and dry in a hammock but i'd use my hammock over a bivvy bag every time given the choice

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Hammocks look great but one small problem if your not is a wooded area… 😕

TooTall
    Free Member

Hammocks are relatively colder – you compress the underside of the sleeping bag and then the air can circulate freely beneath the hammock.

flatfish
    Free Member

thats what underquilts are for though too tall 😉

depending on the hammock you can go to ground if needs be, not ideal, but it'll get you out of the soft and smelly

robinbetts
    Free Member

Interesting, I assumed (without experience) that a hammock would be walmer than sleeping on the ground (which will also compress the bottom of the sleeping bag, but maybe less so??). I've never used on of the proper mats though, only the thin foam ones you have when your in scouts.

Also, didn't realise you could get a half decent bivi for low price. With something like the alpkit hunker, would you use a tarp as well?

coastkid
    Free Member

i use both..not together though 😮
    alpkit bivi with sleeping bag with no mat- heather,sand,soft grass,ideal 1-2 nights roughing it, nice and minimum to carry…
    hennessy hammock if gonna be near woods (nearly always for me) it is real comfy and when inside you can turn on your side or front easy with out it rocking or spinning like a garden hammock,you can sit and get changed in it its that stable..dont think its better or worse than a tent…just an alternative and less restrictive where it can be pitched,
    for example…staggered out the clachaig inn at glencoe,walked a few yards along road,cut up steep wood out of site and hung the hammock,no need for level ground & midge free in morning,i take both and decide what to use depending where i end up that evening,can sit under the hennessy aswell in wet weather to cook-as long as the rain is coming straight down 😮

flatfish
    Free Member

only if it's raining

coastkid
    Free Member

do you have the hennessy flatfish?, been impressed so far with it…got the snakeskins for it which keep it nice and tidy,

flatfish
    Free Member

hennessy here. just about to clean down my tarp as it got a load of silver birch sap on it this weekend.

trail_rat
    Free Member

never used a tarp – have found my self sleeping on my front with the opening round my face pointing to the ground – works fine …. for 1 or 2 nights – but thats why i want a zip top one with a vent …..

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

flatfish what do you have on your head?

D+D hammocks are worth a look if pockets aren't deep enough for a Hennessy … mines been on a few outings and has been great so far.

rubberneck
    Free Member

on the (2) occasions i have done it i have used both together as a precaution, first time it chucked it down 2nd it was a cold night so i used the bivi as an extra layer for warmth as it was easier than taking extra layers/bulk with me and it did the job.i do wish i had taken a roll mat or something to keep the chill off my arse though

i did it on the cheap just for the crack and paid £20 for a parachute nylon double skinned cocoon type off ebay and the bivi was an alpkit thingybob £20-ish off the web-tex site.

flatfish
    Free Member

folded over buff

Xylene
    Free Member

Good luck hammocking in the Highlands.

I used to have a hammock with a portable frame, probably weighed about 5kg though.

spw3

Err, hotels anyone?

Nick

good point, well made

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Hotels Whats the fun in that, the cash you save on that you can treat yourself to a little something else…nice

AlexSimon

My hammock kit is really comfy but weighs a lot more than an Alpkit bivvy.
    Paradise double hammock which allows sideways and stomach sleeping – 650g
    Tapes to tie – 150g
    DD Tarp 3m x 3m (plenty of room for bike and bag under it)- 650g
    Ridgeline – 200g
    Midge net – 300g
    = 1950g
    I save a slight amount because I only need a quilt instead of a full sleeping bag. But basically it's the same as a tent.
    However, I sleep so well compared to a thin mat.

Alpkit hunka – 400g
    Having a Tarp over is nice, but it's not as practical as for walkers who can use a walking pole. I keep meaning to try two wheels leaning together to form a pole, but I haven't done yet.
    Micro tarp + guys is approx 300g

The hennessy hammock is probably the lightest, but the tarp is small (no room next to the hammock for doing things or storing kit). Some light versions weigh only 900g all-in (I think all-in anyway).

Aidan
    Free Member

I've never tried a hammock, and it depends on what you're doing but for my purposes, I'm incapable of erecting a tarp (or probably a hammock) at the end of a big day. I tried it once with a tarp and I was too tired figure out a decent pitch so I went with the bivvy bag alone. I tend to bivvy when I'm doing big miles, hence the tiredness. If I was going shorter distances, I'd take a tent.

Of course, if I was a bit less useless, the pitching might be easier and it wouldn't be a problem.

FWIW, I got a Terra Nova Discovery Lite for 40 quid recently so it's not expensive.

Out of curiosity, how well do hammocks breath? My sleeping bag is always wet after a bivvy (I'm a pretty hot sleeper) – the hammocks look better from that point-of-view.

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

With Tarps, can you turn your bike upside down and use that as a center post with the tarp over and pegged ,sort of like a tent and you and your gear????

flatfish
    Free Member

remove the front wheel and balance the bike on it's forks, then take two small guy ropes tied to your seat rails to make the bike solid. drape the end of your tarp over the bars creating an entrance and peg down. the front wheel can also be used at the other end as a "pole"

TheBrick
    Free Member

What size tarp is tht and what tarp? 3m?

Thanks

flatfish
    Free Member

Hennessey hammock hex fly 70d

slugwash
    Free Member

I do my tarp/bike pitching slightly differently from flatfish with the bike upside down and the central supporting cord running through the top of the back wheel with the saddle turned sideways to give extra stability. Don't have a photo to illustrate it though but I think you get slightly more headroom that way. I might give flatfish's method a go next time and see what's easiest/best. However, If there's a wall handy….

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Im loving ya work here, those look great thats the kind of thing I had in mind…. Slug, what tarp is that?

slugwash
    Free Member

It's the smaller of the Alpkit ones…

http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16474&category_id=253

I was going to make my own one but never got around to it. Now I'm going to make my own lightweight hammock instead, but I'll probably never get around to that either 😉

Currently (occasionally) using a cotton hammock I bought in Mexico. Too bulky to carry around on longer excursions but fine if you're just cycling/walking a few miles for a camp-out 🙂

… and I recently discovered that if you sleep diagonally in a hammock it's actually quite comfortable. No-one had ever told me that before.

flatfish
    Free Member

slug, try raising you leg end of the hammock 2-3 inches higher than your head end too makes it more comfortable.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Decathlon do a fairly cheap tarp which I've been really pleased with. Comes with poles, but they weigh a ton so you'd ditch them for this sort of thing. About 20 quid

AlexSimon

Aidan – the normal hammocks breath really well because they aren't waterproof fabric. Because you're off the ground you don't need it. The tarp is there to keep the rain off.

Great bike/tarp setups there. Thanks Bigface0_0, Flatfish and Slugwash.

Slugwash – yes I found them uncomfortable until I got one big enough to sleep on the diagonal. If I pitch mine fairly tight I can even sleep on my side and front!

I really can't believe how light those Hennessy UltraLight and HyperLight models are – one day….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Bivi bag vs hammock, discuss’ is closed to new replies.