Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Bitch spay – recovery?
  • benz
    Free Member

Lara our 9 month old mini Schnauzer got spayed yesterday.

Picked her up from vet and to be honest she was pretty out of it – not willing to walk far.

Today I expected her to be a bit more lively, although she has eaten and wandered through to greet my mate when he popped in past around lunchtime.

However, lying in her bed just watching the world go past with occasional grown – which I guess is to be expected for what is a fairly major op.

That said, what sort of recovery times have you folks seen with your hounds – I know they are all different….

bruk

Normally 2-3 days to be back to bouncy self although a lot do seem to be fine the next day after sleeping the anaesthetic off.

If she seems painful still has she had any pain relief since she has been home?

Just like us some are softer than others.

Hope she is feeling better soon

Ps don’t give her ibuprofen or paracetamol

benz
    Free Member

No additional pain relief was offered by the vet – she had a 24hr painkiller and anti-inflamatory injection as we picked her up.

I’ll see how she goes and if not notably better tomorrow will give the vet a call. In reality not much more than 24hrs since she was done so I’m probably expecting too much too soon, and she is a softie.

bruk

If she has eaten and is drinking fine then that sounds like a good plan. Ring early as some clinics do appts early on a sunday.

mrmo
    Free Member

my experience of cats, and i guess fundamentally it will be the same, i have had one cat jumping round the house, and actually had to go to the vets as it pulled some stitches, within 24hours; another cat felt pretty sorry for itself and sat around for a few days.

You know your dog, just keep an eye for anything odd.

cloudnine
    Free Member

sounds a bit like too much anaesthetic… they will and do knock you for 6 (dogs included). Few days she’ll be right as rain

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Bitch spay – recovery?’ is closed to new replies.