• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by doh.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Biobank research – should I?
  • hh45
    Free Member

Just had a letter from DoH saying I have been selected along with 400,000 others aged 40 – 69 to have a medical incl blood and urine tests, maybe a bit of rubber glove stuff and then they monitor my health over the years and wait for me to die of something interesting.

I’m generally pretty open to this sort of thing but hadn’t heard of it and wondered if anyone else from STW has been asked or attended the initial 90 minute session.

Moses

Yes, I have, as has Mrs M & lots of our friends.
    No rubber glove stuff, though, not up uranus. I now how tall I am, which I didn’t before.

There’s a good chance it will help you or your family over the long term, as the equivalent study of children in Avon, Children of the 90s, produced worthwhile information much earlier than expected.

Please go for it.

jova54
    Free Member

Me, Mrsjova and our eldest daughter did a similar thing about 3 years ago.

General health check, blood pressure, pulse, height, weight, BMI, questionnaire and blood samples.

It was interesting the compare the blood test results with the set they did at the surgery earlier this year.

As Moses says, do it.

doh
    Free Member

jeezo it was a pain in the ass writing all those letters, also had to sell the house to pay for the stamps. what i do with your vital bodily fluids is my concern 😆

on a more serious note it is a good thing to do for society in general, studies like this can produce lots of useful data. not likely to be of much personal benefit though, unlikely to get your own consultant to ponder over your lab results and tell you to cut down on the beer and chips.
    if you have the spare time and dont mind giving some samples you might be lucky and get a cup of tea and a biscuit out of it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Biobank research – should I?’ is closed to new replies.