Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Biking with GPS
  • yetiguy
    Free Member

Considering a few different devices, would you say that the 1:50 000 OS maps are sufficient?

highclimber
    Free Member

yes, definately. you can cover too much ground to warrant the 1:25K

Andituk
    Free Member

The 1:25k makes it easier to zoom in to see more detail, such as which path to take if theres more than one option at a junction. Most of the time it will be sufficent, but the 1:25k is better if you can IMO.

yes, definately. you can cover too much ground to warrant the 1:25K

Don’t follow that one 😕

yetiguy
    Free Member

is 1:25 000 available in the garmin 705 or garmin 800

cant seem to get confirmation

Andituk
    Free Member

They use the Garmin Discoverer maps don’t they? Only the National Parks are available in 1:25k, rest is 1:50k.

(thats what I use I think)

djflexure

Used 1:50K UK which is fine (and affordable). I do think that in some circumstances 1:25K would have its uses – linking forest tracks etc.

Most of the time the route is either programmed in and I am following or alternatively I am exploring what I see in front of me, while the GPS tracks where I have been (so I can find good bits again).

Sometimes use it to navigate back to car at the end of the day.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I’d say 1:50k is absolutely fine. The extra detail of 1:25k would be nice at times, seeing field boundaries etc can be a help, but for me not worth the extra expense.

Do the Garmin units do OS type navigation well? I thought Satmap or Memory Map looked better and use memory map software on an old phone myself.

nickjb
    Free Member

I use 1:50000 and its fine. Occasionally 1:25000 would be useful but its much more expensive per sq mile for me and not really needed.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

No (I think) the edge ones are just for training so dont have a map on them IIRC, my edge 305 doesnt anyway.

I use to for following a route, which it does fine in the open, it beeps to tell you you’ve gone off route within 5-10m of missing a turning, so even with 2 or 3 alternatives its easy enough to work out which one to take. On a 29 mile loop on Saturday which I saved as a course a month or so previously on a group ride and ammended when I got home to add another loop of singletrack shown on the map (so vaguely familiar, but i wouldnt have managed it without a map) I only missed 2 turnings, which I think is acceptably good.

Carrying a map is a good idea anyway as they have a habit of running out of battery or breaking down at the worst possible moment.

Dibbs
    Free Member

705, No, 800, Yes.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

1:50000 = poo except in big, isolated areas
    1:25000 = brill
    end of 🙂

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I use 1:50K on and off road seems fine to me.

Oregon 450 here.

nickjb
    Free Member

Just to add… some phones make excellent bike GPSs. They are often cheaper than a ‘proper’ gps and add a load of functionality like live tracking, google maps (including aerial view) and open maps and you are probably carrying a phone anyway. You can get supplemental batteries if you end with one with poor life, mine doesn’t seem to need it.

Ambrose
    yetiguy
    Free Member

Dibbs – Member

705, No, 800, Yes.

Can you point to it please dibbs, i can only see 1:50 000

Birds eye satellite imagary looks cool though

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N73rxjD80iw[/video]

superfli
    Free Member

Viewranger on a smartphone 1:50000 national parks is £30. You can also download as you go or use open source maps as you go for free. Plot routes and it will direct you.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Biking with GPS’ is closed to new replies.