Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Bikes and flying them across the world for hols!
  • Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Okay so me and Mr MC have flown to Morzine every year for the last 6 and Morocco last April with the bikes. When we started flying with bikes they didn't even need to be bagged/boxed and they were free however times are changing rapidly.

We are looking to fly to Denver, Colorado in the summer for a 2 week MTB trip visiting friends. I have contacted American Airlines whose policy is 1 bag, pay extra for 2nd (ie bike) at a cost of $50 each way (not a problem) however maximum weight for the bike is 23k! I mean come on bike and bag would not come in under that!??? Then if it doesn't be charged an additional fee of $50 I think (woman wasn't quite sure though!!).

BA – 1 bag, 2nd bag pay £64 return, 2nd bag is a max of 32k, okay so not so bad. However if he exceed the 32k on the 2nd bag they can refuse to fly it, so there is no option to may an additional excess baggage fee.

Does anyone have an idea how much a bike in a bag would weigh? I'm sure they have been weighed in the past (however with a cheeky foot resting/placed underneath) and I can't remember what the likely hood is of how much it will weigh, will it be in under the 32k or do I have to risk it? Or am I better off going with AA knowing i'll have to pay an ADDITIONAL fee at the airport, however that has the potential to change before we go in July and rocket to some extortionate rate!

Advance and suggestions! Cheers.

Mattie_H
    Free Member

Hello Fran

Adam and I flew into Denver with the bikes last year. Can pass on thoughts and experiences if you're out tomorrow?

Cheers
    Matt

keyses2

when i fly i use a padded bag lined with a cardboard box and some kit, weighs just under 32kg with an orange patriot in, can get more kit in with a dialled pa and still be under 32kg (if i take the any out and just use bag i can get pa and all kit in and then only use a handluggage bag for a few other bits.).

Drac

Does anyone have an idea how much a bike in a bag would weigh?

Which bike and bag combination there's at least 5 combinations, 50lb is a lot if weight 70lbs is even more.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

They aren't allowed to take anything over 32kg- its health and safety regulations for one person lifting.

Four DH bikes in bags last year, all under 32kg.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I realised after I posted and went away that 32k is a lot and can easily get it in under that! Sorry dumb blonde moment!
    Matt we will be out tomorrow looking forward to it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Bikes and flying them across the world for hols!’ is closed to new replies.