Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • BIKE VAN…..
  • Nick_Christy
    Free Member

So this year is going to be a big year for me and riding…. Taking a few trips about and getting to see new places not just riding Leogang and Nordkette.

So i would like to grab a van i think, as my plan for a estate just isnt quite big enough for me and my bike and gear.

Thought it might be but recently packed half the stuff into my focus estate and bike was in but just not easy enough. Wanting something where i can just throw it all in and drive off.

So would a van such as a VW Caddy be enough or should i just grab a VX Vivaro or simular.

I wont be staying in the van but may start to camp to keep costs down instead of staying in hotels all the time 😉

show me what u got and setup if you have 1

nick

parkesie
    Free Member

Howmuch kit do you use?

I find my estate more than big enough for 2 bikes with front wheels off and 2 peoples kit + 5 man tent spare 2man tent a bbq and bags of logs. Any small van will be more than big enough id think. Anything that you can just stand your bike up in or even better ride your bike out of.

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

blimey!

ive got my full body armour, helmet, bike, shoes etc… everything for dh really. tools etc too.

but i like the idea of just pulling up, and riding out of the van apposed to having to build it up when i get there type thing.

also i tend to ride with 1 or 2 others so just comes to ease really. i hear what your saying. i got 2 bikes in recently the estate with 2 x 21″ xc bikes but was a pain removing wheels etc and dont really want to pile a bike onto another bike and then kit ontop.

nick

Ratty
    Free Member

I have Mk2 Caddy, room for 2 or 3 bikes upright with wheels in, even with bed, cooker, sink ‘n cupboards fitted.
    Removing the std mesh bulkhead gives a bit more space, but long bikes may need to sit at angle rather than straight in.

nosherduke996
    Free Member

Peugeot expert for me 46 to 50 mpg and you get 4 bikes in

jedi

my berlingo van rocks! 🙂

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

ratty, u got a pic with all your stuff in?

inc the bed? where you get the stuff?

nick

hels
    Free Member

I’ve had a Renault Kangoo for about 5 years, from 30k miles. Great for travelling with bikes, has been all over France and Spain a couple of times. Goes on the ferry as a car, no removing wheels phaff for bike stowage, and you can’t see in the back. Passengar seat folds down so you can sleep in the back if you have to (only good in summer too much damp/condensation in winter).

Good fuel economy in it’s younger days. 1.9 diesel. Had it up to 100 on the motorway in France, but generally you need a few days notice to overtake and it corners like a fridge.

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

i got this

in van mode everything goes in the back

did a diy conversion, takes about 10 minutes to convert to camper mode, then i use a two bike rack on the back. swapped twin passenger seat for single and both swivel.

mysterymove
    Free Member

Just bought a 2007 caddy, bikes fit in no probs, looking for inspiration for kitting it out now tho – Ratty How did you go about fitting all of that into a Caddy!?

looking for inspiration for fitting a bed in the back if you’ve got any tips?

Cheers Ben

trail_rat
    Free Member

06 pug partner

can get 3 bikes in with front wheel out of each (1 tt bike – 1 large xc ike and a large 29er. and at 6 foot 3 i can still sleep on the other side ! with my kit in boxes under my bed !

it aint spacious but ive done a week in it – sure beats camping !

fourbanger
    Free Member

nosherduke996, how are you getting that Mpg?! I get around 37. What speed do you cruise at?

oxym0r0n

A lot depends on budget I guess.

3 of us waiting in the warm for the start of SPAM on Sunday:

IMG_6488[1] by oxym0r0n, on Flickr

Sitting on the wheel arches of T5 with second row of seats folded forward. 3 people in the front, bikes fully built in the back (on the way there).
    Have comfortably fitted 4 people + 4 bikes + weekends kit with nothing around passengers feet and plenty of spare room…

DickBarton

Just you? I can fit my bike and riding kit plus a full workshop Pedros toolkit, camping gear and clothing for a week in my car (Fiat Bravo) and it all fits nicely – room for 1 other passenger and another bike…no need for estate or van (unless you want to sleep in it)…is the van the best option for you? Seems expensive for what you want to do i.e. put bike and gear in a vehicle, drive to somewhere and ride…I do that in my car and the car would cost less than a van…(I think)

Just read your second post – you ride with mates…car still perhaps cheaper but bikes would need to go on roof or back – not quite so handy – so Berlingo is what you want!

Ratty
    Free Member

old caddy with two bikes and camper stuff…

with one bike and all gear for a 24hr…

nosherduke996
    Free Member

nosherduke996, how are you getting that Mpg?! I get around 37. What speed do you cruise at?

I can get over 600 miles on a tank full of diesle.I think its just a 1.9 none turbo engine and its been great.

Matt_SS_xc

i have a transit connect, you could easily get 4 bikes in there as am empty van – i have the lwb high rof mind, although probably get 4 in a low roof – they are a bit wider than a caddy.

as mines a camper conversion my bikes go on a rack on the back so’s not to dirty my lovely cushions

trail_rat
    Free Member

nosherduke – the expert has an 80litre fuel tank no ?

i work that out at just under 30mpg – which is more realistic for your van

my partner has the same engine and gets 40 on a good run at 60mph – after a fresh service !

fourbanger
    Free Member

I can get over 600 miles on a tank full of diesle.I think its just a 1.9 none turbo engine and its been great.

Think you might like to check your maths as I make 600 miles per tank, 34 Mpg.
    50 Mpg works out at 880 miles per tank.

trail_rat
    Free Member

yeah 35mpg in uk units ! – stupid american shit i have to work with has corrupted my brain

fourbanger
    Free Member

trail_rat, are you using US Gallons for your conversion?

fourbanger
    Free Member

Make sense now! lol

fourbanger
    Free Member

Cracking little van though. Comfy to drive and my 1.9 Hdi has some poke. Got 7 bikes, 3 people, kit, tools and luggage out to the alps in (relative) comfort with room to spare.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i found a photo of mine. i lived in there for a week – TT bike is on the left , XC bike is in the other way round beside it and the SS went next to that (was sitting on it in the photo) – wasnt all that pleasent but it saved me driving home to change bikes (an 80 mile detour)

did some riding in the hills (on SS) then 2 time trial events and an XC race at the weekend – so a necessary evil !

just glad it didnt rain !

racing_ralph
    Free Member

New style Berlingo for me I think

spooky_b329

I would go for a Vauxhall Vivaro, they are pretty nice to drive (car like) and if you are camping rather than creating a camper van, leave the bulkhead in as it’ll make for a quieter drive (much quieter!) and your stuff will be much more secure and hidden. If you see one with a proper tailgate, grab it as it’s handy for staying out of the rain (only downside is most will have a rear window, so reduces security slightly. You could always fit a grill inside it) Also, you can get awnings that are designed to go over a tailgate to create extra living space when camping.

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

the thing is i am looking at the caddy due to costings!

i can get a caddy for 900 quid inc vat.

but the extra space in the vivaro is pulling me. might save up a little more or wait a little more time and try and grab one.

thanks guys—

crazy-legs

I’ve driven a Vivaro quite a lot through work, they’re great to drive (just like a car) and you can fit tons of stuff in. Seriously considering one myself, I’ve always wanted a van conversion.

Normally I use an estate car and, while I’ve never had a problem getting stuff into it, there are times when you come back from a ride and just want to chuck the bikes and gear in, get changed in the dry and it’s great just being able to sweep them out rather than having to hoover down in the footwells and under the seats and still be picking mud out of them for a week afterwards. Also good for impromptu camping, just unroll the sleeping bag and airbed in the back.

thomthumb
    Free Member

the vivaro gearbox horror stories put me off. heard way too many ‘3 gearboxes within the warranty etc’ tales…

druidh
    Free Member

thomthumb – Member
    the vivaro gearbox horror stories put me off. heard way too many ‘3 gearboxes within the warranty etc’ tales…

You’ve heard a lot of those stores because they’ve sold in vast numbers.

nunuboogie
    Free Member

@Stu McGroo hi like the look of your conversion looking at ways to convert ours soon. Do you have more photos or could you send me the plans?
    Thanks

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

nunuboogie – Do you have more photos or could you send me the plans?

yeah i’ll get something to you later, the email in your profile?

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Peugeot Expert, loads of space but will not do 600 to the tank laden!

swarren27
    Free Member

New shape Kangoo Van here 4 bikes, riding gear and camping stuff easy in it without taking anything of the bikes changed from a company car to a van and could not be happier.

Mintyjim

I bought a Mazda Bongo for exactly those reasons Nick_Christy. It’s ace, masses of room, very cheap, comfy and it shifts.

It’s enabled me to order my new Citroen DS3 instead of having an estate and going through the rigmarole of sorting the bikes out before and after each ride.

nunuboogie
    Free Member

Yes email in profile thanks

Simon

Mintyjim- how do you carry bikes in the Bongo?
    And what rear seats do you have, bench or the folding ones?
    Even better any pics of bikes in the Bongo?

We’re considering getting one, but job uncertainty and fuel prices are making us think hard about it. We waited until winter hoping Bongo prices would fall but they don’t appear to have done!

soobalias
    Free Member

from a similar position as yourself, i went for a ford galaxy.
    only had it a few months so too early to comment really, but it sits there between an estate car and a mini-van

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

sorry only just seen the recent comments…

the Mazda Bongo looks great but the only problem being they seem to have been produced in the 90’s and the newer ones are just too expensive.

i just need it to be bullet proof as much of mazda is just cant take a risk if im off to france or germany with it loaded up

epic71
    Free Member

I’ve got a VW Transporter with rock & roll bed, there’s room for 2 bikes down the side and all your kit either at end of the bed or in fornt seats (overnight.) Drives just like a car too 8)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘BIKE VAN…..’ is closed to new replies.