Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Bike Storage – Ideas needed please
  • flowerpower
    Free Member

Having just moved in with Mr FP, we are trying to figure out a way of storing the 11 bikes that we appear to have between us 😕

A mix of MTB, road, pub and kids bikes, we would like to be able to get to every bike easily (without having to move the lot). Have got space in the garden, so we were thinking of getting a shed built and using racking, but wanted to keep it as neat and cheap as possible (we will get another shed as a workshop/storage area). Presently thinking of a long, narrow shed (possibly with two sets of double doors) and storing the bikes vertically using this rack http://www.bikecare.co.uk/product_info.php?acc=Kingsley-6-Bike-Vertical-Rack&id=49

But any other thoughts? Are these hanging racks going to do any damage (will ensure the hooks are well padded)?

MarkyG82

Ive never had good experience with vertical racks and suspension forks. Leaky seals etc.

You thought about roof mounting?

flowerpower
    Free Member

Thanks Marky – that’s the kinda thing I was worried about. Wasn’t sure what it would do to rear shocks either…

Not sure what you mean by ‘roof mounting’. I did think of running a pole along at about 4′ high to hitch the saddles over (trail centre stylee), but then the bars / pedals are at the same height and it gets messy and needs alot of room.

mudsux
    Free Member

in terms of security – you sure a wooden shed is the best place for them?

druidh
    Free Member

Why pay £70 for some racking when you get plastic covered hooks for less than £4 each from your local DIY store?

No problems racking them up vertically either. I easily get 7 in about 1/2 the length of a family car by racking them nose-tail and I’ve had no issues with forks and/or hydraulic brakes.

(not all in that photo).

sweaman2
    Free Member

Can’t see a problem with hanging them from front / back wheels as per photo to be honest. I’ve seen a few bike workshops where the bikes are stored like that. Main issue is security.. when I hung my bikes like that I had ground anchors in the wall. Nice and secure but quite a contortion to get one frame unlocked and out.
    If you’re not doing that you need to make sure more than just the wheel is lockable from the ground or simmilar.

flowerpower
    Free Member

mudsux – Nope, not really 😕 but we live in rural Scotland, on the edge of a village and the only access to the walled back garden is through a pedestrian gate at the side of the house. We can’t afford a brick shed and I have heard that condensation is an issue with metal ones. I’m open to ideas though if you have an alternative.

Druidh – Yep – that looks good. Not sure why I didn’t think of it myself 😳 Was nervous about the idea of hanging the bikes from their wheels, but good to hear it hasn’t caused any issues for you.

Maybe it could be a plan…

flowerpower
    Free Member

In the past security has consisted of a 3m cable looped through frames and wheels and locked to an anchor. However I realise that this isn’t great as a set of cutters would make short work of the cable and then all the bikes are free.

Need to think about that one. As I say the garden is reasonably secluded, but guess that is also sheltered for the thief if we aren’t about.

downshep

I’ve got a long narrow shed made from two 6 x 4 sheds joined end to end. There are 8 bikes and some gardening gubbins in there but removing anything not adjacent to the door means multiple bike removal to reach the desired object / bike. I thought about hanging them by the front wheel but reckon the hut is too narrow to allow one past the others.

I need a garage.

earbyphil
    Free Member

Containers for sale
    What about a second-hand shipping container?

br
    Free Member

Rather than 2 sheds, just get a BIG one.

You can double height them, with the top ones saddles’ sat on a beam and the bottom ones stood up (on stands).

Sorted, look at 20×10

http://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co.uk/Timber-Garden-Sheds

flowerpower
    Free Member

downshep – we’re lucky that we are starting from a clean slate, rather than having to adapt existing sheds, which is why i’d like to get it right. Getting one built will cost more, but am hoping not too much – otherwise linking two of the shelf sheds could be plan B

Earbyphil – 😆 Not such a bad idea, but trying to keep the view out of the back…

br – We started by going for one big shed, but the impact in the garden would be huge, and the driveway is shared access 😕 But useful website – thanks. Looks like there are a huge range that can be bought ‘prefab’.

Thanks for the ideas guys 🙂

DickBarton

As long as the other wheel is resting on a wall, then hanging the bike by a wheel is fine…if the lower wheel is unsupported it can lead to a few issues but very rarely.

Hook in roof near the wall and then put wheel in hook and rest lower wheel on wall. Do nose then tail, then nose, then tail and you shouldn’t take up as much space as doing nose, nose, nose as the handlebars will have a wee bit of space to move around.

Sorry for delay in responding and realise it is probably too late…hope whatever you sorted is doing the job!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Bike Storage – Ideas needed please’ is closed to new replies.