Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Bike set up help please…
  • compkiler
    Free Member

Hi guys,

Just out of curiosity, i have a fairy new mountain bike and i was just wondering if i had it set up right for me?
    For starters, i havent touched it sinced the shop made it up, so the seat is in exactly the same position, and the handle bars still have all the spacers in them.
    Obviosly ive moved the seat up and down but im not sure what is the optimum position!??

Any ideas on where to start please guys?

sugdenr
    Free Member

fairy

I’d edit that quick if I was you, before anyone notices……

compkiler
    Free Member

haha whops 🙂

rickmeister

Google Andy Pruit Medical Guide for Cyclists… there is loads on bike fitting on the interweb… Worth getting the book as its a good resource if you have joint/neck/back problems…

MarkN
    Free Member

Not sure what or how much the shop would have done for you. If we assume nothing that will be a safe starting point. All of this is what is comfortable for you but here are some pointers.

Seat height, basic starting point is heel on pedal leg almost fully extended when pedal at bottom of stroke. You can fine tune this, up from my experience. The trick is not to have your hips dipping side to side when pedalling. This is bad for the back etc. You can have it lower but this will not be the most efficient pedalling position.

Seat fore/aft, Sit on the bike and have the ball of your foot over the pedal spindle. With a plumb line from the front of the knee it should line up with the pedal spindle when at 3 o’clock. The seat should be able to move forward or backward on the rails to adjust.

Brake levers, These normally need to be moved inboard. This is done so that you can get your 1st/2nd finger on the end of the brake lever and not in the middle. It will give you more power and control of your braking. While doing this check the angle. I have mine so that when stood on the pedals and hands on the brakes the wrist is fairly straight.

You have not mentioned if you have suspension or not. Getting the correct sag set up will next if you do.

compkiler
    Free Member

I have a Trance X2 2010 🙂

Thanks for your help so far tho

alexpalacefan

Here’s a video showing how to set sag.

I’m sure there’ll be a link to setting up the shock there too.

APF

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Bike set up help please…’ is closed to new replies.