Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Bike racks – Help required in choosing one
  • Chazzle
    Free Member

I’m looking at getting a bike rack, one for the back of the car rather then the roof (as we often put the kids’ buggy on the roof). At the moment, I have two bikes to haul around, but it would always be good to have the potential to be able to carry more. The back of the car is no longer an option for the bikes as there’s alays so much other stuff to haul around (with our two little ones).

I have done a bit of looking around, I seem to be drawn to the Thule ones (they seem to be slightly more robust), but not adversed to look at others. Not too sure if it would be better to go for the gutter rail system or to attach the bikes on the arms that stick out.

I don’t have a tow bar, so that rules out a number of bike racks.

Obviously the cost of the rack needs to be considered too (not too dear).

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Ta

pedalhead
    Free Member

Can you get a tow bar? I had one fitted to my car for less than £150 specifically so I could use a tow bar mounted bike rack. Having also used roof bar carriers, luggage rack carriers and boot-lid strappy things, the latter scare the hell out of me and I’ve seen the result of three bikes falling off the back of a car on the M4 & it wasn’t pretty. When I did used to use one, I never really felt 100% convinced it was solid/safe, and I sure as hell wouldn’t put three bikes on one. On the other hand, I could just be scaremongering as I’m sure lots of people use them without any problems, but the whole concept/design just seems unsafe to me.

ebygomm
    Free Member

We’ve got one of the Thule ones with the rails and it’s really solid. Not comparable to the ones that attach with fabric straps as all. Takes about 5 seconds to fit after the first time adjustments, no fiddling required to hang bikes correctly, boot can still be opened with rack on. Only takes 2 bikes though. I’d recommend them if you can’t go for the towbar option. I got mine cheap from ebay

phiiiiil

I’ve been using a Thule 9103, a clip-on rack with two arms, and it’s been fantastic – like ebygomm says it clips on the boot in seconds and is far more sturdy than anything with straps – with a bike on you can wobble the car all about by wiggling the bike, there is no movement of the bike or rack whatsoever. It will technically take three bikes, but three “full-size” bikes would be a bit of a faff – I’ve used mine for two bikes without bother but I think you’d struggle to fit another without handlebar turning, pedal removal or whatnot.

Coincidentally I no longer need mine as I swapped the car for a campervan, so it’s looking for a good home if you’re interested…

Phil

graham_nw
    Free Member

Thule products are usually of high quality. I have a Thule roof rack and never had any problems with it. It’s easy to install and the bikes didn’t fall down – so it did the job.

ransos
    Free Member

I have a Saris Bones rack – it’s really solid.

Chazzle
    Free Member

Cheers guys for the responses. It’s nice to know that generally Thule stuff seems to be robust enough to carry the bikes without incidenets

Phil, how much are you wanting for your 9103? I have to say I would prefer the one with the gutter channels, but could be persuaded!

C

uplink
    Free Member

I have a Halfords boot rack that gets used a couple of time a year [on an estate car]
    It fastens with 6 straps & I too was concerned about their stability so I swapped the top & side hooks with the dumbell shaped anchors that they sell for window mounts – so now there is very little chance of the straps coming loose with 4 of the 6 anchors inside the car & the other 2 secured on the towing brackets

technicallyinept
    Free Member

Another vote for the Thule Clip-On (it does obscure number plate/light though)

BlingBling
    Free Member

I’ve been using the cheap Halfords rack (with straps) for years with no trouble.

Only cost about £20 too 😆

Brycey
    Free Member

Anyone had problems with Thule roof bars scratching their Mk5 Golf roofs? First car was in a hell of a state so haven’t used rack since replacing car. Also anyone see any reason why a Golf GTI couldn’t have a tow bar fitted?

Ta

pedalhead
    Free Member

you can fit a tow bar to a Golf GTi, but you’ll need to chop away a bit of the bumper.

Kieran

Anyone had problems with Thule roof bars scratching their Mk5 Golf roofs?

I think it’s the poor VW paint. I’ve just got a new Passat and it’s already starting to show marks from the roof rack

anyone see any reason why a Golf GTI couldn’t have a tow bar fitted?

They can, I’ve seen them with fitted. You can’t fit them to the R32 because of the exhaust though

ebygomm
    Free Member

Another vote for the Thule Clip-On (it does obscure number plate/light though)

Depends which model you get, mine’s a clip on high so doesn’t obscure number plate or lights. The ones that clip on lower seem a bit pointless, if you need a lighting board then you need the electrics to plug it into so might as well get a tow bar mounted rack

Brycey
    Free Member

Cheers guys

phiiiiil

Ooops, nearly forgot:

Chazzle: £50 posted for the Thule 9103? Or less if you can collect it from either Cannock or Malvern ‘cos the thing is quite big and I haven’t got a box for it yet!

Send me an email if you want it, my address is (well, should be) in my profile.

Phil

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Bike racks – Help required in choosing one’ is closed to new replies.