Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • bike position for back problems
  • zarquon
    Free Member

Been struggling with back pain for a while now. One thing I’ve noticed is that its difficult with my current set-up to change the angle of my back on the bike to any great degree. Even when I stand up on the pedals my back seems to be in the same position pivoting on the problem vertebra. Only chage I can get is to sit up and steer with fingertips.

Any ideas for things I might change so that I can get a variety of back positions on the bike other than get some swept back bars, bar-ends etc. NB currently have 2.54cm stem (flat) and saddle rails set up for the saddle to be near the front of the bike.

Jerome
    Free Member

Check saddle level..
    Long and low bikes makes my back feel good.
    Noticed this yesterday when I rode my smaller bike.
    So try getting yourself more stretched out.
    Longer stem/ saddle backwards, poss with layback post.
    Bars lower maybe to get more weight on your arms.
    When you have enough room to get an inward arch in your back when riding, works for me.

Try lots of different things…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

As jerome says – try many things – for me its high bars with a lot of sweep. Bars an inch or two above the seat stops the back pain. less weiht on the hands. Try tipping the seat as well

DaRC_L

My main problem was my road bike’s saddle was too high (which may have contributed to the problem) – so as other’s have said try a lower saddle.

Fundamentally my lower back problems were due to not enough stretching and not enough core-strength. It took a year or so but daily Yoga has sorted it out / made it manageable.

Sandwich

Shorter stem, if you need to sit more upright (works for me and my disk problem). Change seat post to layback or straight depending on short or long reach required, bars as above. Try adjusting the saddle position on the rails to get leg alignment correct.
    Don’t neglect the core as you push against it with your legs when pedalling as well.

philgood
    Free Member

hey Zarquon, I somtimes get a bad back too, maybee after three odd hours riding,
    some say pushing a lighter gear helps, also let the bike carry some weight try water bottles instead of a bladder and lighten the tool kit,
    also as some have said work on your core ,
    and another idea about is that if you get dehydrated you can get a bit achey,
    for me though i think its weight on your back and gear push, because when you push a pedal you have to keep your hips level.
    oh yeah on other your seat may be to high..

jam-bo

Angle of the saddle is crucial for me. A couple of degrees off and my lower back is murdered after a few miles

bent_udder
    Free Member

Might be worth asking around for an Osteopath or Chiropracter who rides and can give advice. I have poor core stability (very common in cyclists) after effectively giving up something that gave me a decent level of core (Sailing). I also have weak hips, and this leads to some problems with my SI joint. Generally, stretching properly *Really* helps, before and after riding, but I do occasionally need treatment. I can’t stress the importance of stretching enough, though – if you don’t do it, learn some basic stretches at the gym / Chiro / Physio / Osteo and do them religiously.

It’s quite difficult for bike shops to give advice on fit, as it can open them up to liability (Hurrah for no win-no fee lawyers!), but a good bike shop might give you a few pointers.

It’s also worth trying a couple of the fitting services that some places offer; they’ll give you an idea of whether something is wrong with the bike set up, as well as with your bike.

As various have said, try adjusting stuff – but adjust one thing at a time:

1) Try flat pedals – using badly-set-up SPD cleats can cause problems further up in your back. Riding flats for a bit might isolate a problem you didn’t know you had.

2) Adjust the saddle fore and aft so the middle of your knee is over the pedal axle with the pedals at 9 and 3 O’Clock.

3) Adjust saddle height so your leg is straight (not extended / hip tilted) when your heel is on the pedal axle with the pedals at 12 and 6 – obv. the one at 6 O’Clock! Then revisit fore and aft measurement – it will have changed a tiny amount, or a lot if you have a bike with a weird seat tube angle, like a Maverick or Commencal.

4) Now try tweaking the front of the bike; try a couple of stem lengths and heights if you can – a good bike shop will let you give ’em a go if you go at a quiet time, know them well, ask nicely and bring donut or beer shaped bribes. Along with stem length, try bar height, width and sweep.

There’s no easy, cheap fix for this if the bike’s wrong in the first place – which is another thing. If the bike you ride is too big or small, that can also have an effect.

Oh, and finally, and this is for any ambulance chasers listening, this is partial advice on an internet forum. Of course it’s boll0cks. 🙂

GaVgAs
    Free Member

I have pretty bad back problem,One thing I can advise you on is Handle bar position,I have noticed over the years looking side on along the top of the bar it should tilted back at about the five past seven position.

seat,top tube length,and stem stack height and length all have a big effect,but the bar position is the one I have benefitted most from.If you have a longer top tube its also better to go for a narrower bar,and visa versa,all imho of course.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘bike position for back problems’ is closed to new replies.