Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Bike insurance
  • st

Any recommendations for stand alone insurance cover?

I've always used the specified contents option of my conttents insurance but last year saved a load by going for anothe rpolicy and although the bikes were specified for the right value there were so many exclusions that it only really covered if they were locked up, in the garage, at home.

It's renewal time today and I can shed about £170 off the renewal by taking the bikes off.

Seems I'd be better spending that money on a dedicated bike policy that gives me decent away from home and accidental damage cover.

snakebite
    Free Member

Good point, well made.

M&S always get good reviews.

And they sell nice ladypants too.

st

Yeah, started Chrimbo shopping yesterday so saw their lady pants, Abi kept running off an pointing out the nice ones.

CTC have a tie in with a company what looks ok, Cycle Cover I think. Means growing a beard and joining CTC though i guess.

scruff
    Free Member

£170 to get good cover is worth it IMO. Dont forget some scrotes mullered my garage door a few years back. We used Direct Line and I payed extras for bikes. I think we use someone else now. Does that help?

kearos
    Free Member

I am with M&S and looked at this last year when the premium hiked up. However, even looking at CTC etc, I was still looking at £100 pounds of premium per £1000 of new bike value on top of the house insurance. As the wife and I have a few bikes (well mainly me) it was still cheaper to go with M&S.

Kearos

st

We used to have Halifax which had good cover but cost a lot.

Happy with the main insurance we've got.

The CTC one looks ok, thinking about it the main bike is probably only insurable for about £1,500 – £1,700 (it's an upgraded Pitch Comp) and at that level the outline quote is under £150

kearos
    Free Member

Fair enough ST. I used to use british cycling's insurance scheme when I was a student – not sure if it is still going or any good. Did have to join BC though.

Kearos

st

Will look at BC, need to join shortly for another reason.

takisawa2

Just switched to M&S.
    Was paying more to LloydsTSB without bikes added.
    3-bed semi, no claims on anything for 10yrs, £21/month for buildings & contents, bikes covered up to £4k each.

Drac

M&S for both, when they send your hiked up renewal price next year cancel that and sign back up online for cheap insurance again.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Bike insurance’ is closed to new replies.