Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Bike Holiday Ideas?
  • Far
    Free Member

Hi, this summer I did the most incredible 2 weeks riding in Canada but it was so good it’s left me a bit uninspired as to what to do next year and I was hoping someone might be able to inspire me? I’ve done most of the more obvious Alps destinations like Portes du Soleil, Les Arcs with TrailAddiction (top riding/top blokes) and last year we went to Italy was Rivierabike which was absolutely amazing but I fancy something new.

I quite like the idea of somewhere a bit off the beaten track like Slovenia or Poland or maybe Scandinavia and something with a bit of a sense of adventure, possibly point to point or something like that? Anyone been anywhere they think might fit the bill?

Trekster

Like this?
    http://mobile-adventures.net/
    Slovenia is a lovely place, been 3 times and will go back again some time

http://www.cycleactive.co.uk/
    http://www.keadventure.com/activity/002/biking.html

wl
    Free Member

Where were you in Canada, and which trails and trail types did you like most?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Morocco with cycle active. THE most awesome holiday I’ve had (alongside Boulder, CO this summer). It’s all places that you will not find yourself, the guides were awesome. Rich Barnard was the Brit guide from CA and then Hassan a Moroccon guide and then 8 people riding. It was phenomenal. the price is worth every penny as all you need to take is beer money which is peanuts.

Me and Rich B racing each other

Shattered at the end!

IS that enough pics to encourage you? Feel free to ask any questions but I can’t recommend it enough, having done 7 years in the Alps.

Far
    Free Member

Thanks for the ideas guys. Morocco is def on the radar for the future but this year was a really expensive trip and I was hoping to do something a bit cheaper next year.

In Canada we did a few days in the bike park at Whistler, then went up to Tyax do a float plane trip and some of the singletrack from the Collective before hooking up with Johnny Smoke from Bush Pilot Biking to do a tour of some of the interior of BC. It was an incredible trip and I can’t recommend Bush Pilot enough.

What about Spain? Can anyone comment on whether or not I’d get the sense of exploration and wilderness I’m looking for? I don’t know why but I always assume you don’t in Spain?

jedi

johnny smoke for the win as always 🙂

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Here’s a thread I started a few weeks ago:
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/mtb-spain-which-company

Ewan
    Free Member

Anyone been riding in Croatia at all? Or Poland?

(I’ll be going wherever Far goes, so I also have an interest in the question…)

Canada was as Far as pointed out – awesome. Johnny smoke was ace as well.

wl
    Free Member

I reckon you might find BC hard to beat for adventures like float planes, remoteness, wildlife etc etc.
    I’ve done great riding in Sierra Espuna in Spain, but day rides, and not particularly adventurous compared to BC, just mint trails. Still, Spanish culture is great. My other favourite is Verbier – amazing trails again, and some big days out and huge singletrack descents well away from the Verbier bowl and the bike park. You defo need to contact Bike Verbier to get the best from a trip there. Haven’t biked in Morocco, just trekked, but the scenery and culture are ace. Biking in those pics doesn’t look the best, to me. I know there is some mint looking stuff there though – we hiked it and I kept thinking about bikes.

Bregante
    Munqe-chick
    Free Member

“Biking in those pics doesn’t look the best, to me”

hmmm. there was every type of trail from ancient gold route double track, to alpine meadow single track, high alpine rocky singletrack, red Moab-esque slickrock to surreal moonscapes. Often in the space of an hour. Cycleactive have spent years scoping out the best trails in the Atlas Mountains (their routes are far more technical than Exodus for example), most of the days are based out of different towns/villages so its not that theyre being lazy and riding what happens to be on their doorstep. If you trekked in the Atlas then the chances are we rode the good stuff you saw. Between us and the rest of the group (affluent middle-aged oil industry types who go on exotic riding holidays every year) we’ve ridden all over the world and the consensus was Morocco had it all, usually in one ride.

The pics werent chosen to show off the best trails, theyre just ones we have on photobucket. After 18 months (and an epic fortnight riding the best of Colorado with its 12 mile singletrack descents) we’re still evangelical about it, if you cant tell. 🙂

pretty sure this flimsy aquaduct over 100 foot deep gorge crossing didnt stay in the itinerary 😯

The OP’s holiday would be difficult to top, but Morocco adds the culture and alien terrain into the mix.

freeride_addict
    Free Member

Far – trailAddiction are starting up an all-new, as-yet super secret Alpine location next year. Might be worth checking out? Its bound to be sonmewhere you’ve not heard of before, and good too!

There’s a video here on the trailaddiction facebook group, nothing on the website yet…

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=486408165287&oid=2349659823

…you heard it here first! 🙂

ash
    ononeorange

Munque – Have been considering Morocco for some time, what level of difficulty / technicality would you reckon the trails were with CycleActive, as I notice pads being worn in your pics? Technical numpty here. Realise that this is a subjective question, but can’t think of a better way of asking it.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Bike Holiday Ideas?’ is closed to new replies.