Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Bike cargo trailers
  • scruff9252

I’m wanting to buy a bike cargo trailer quite soon.

This winter I’ll need to pop access to Bute by ferry a handful of time & the trip is usually around £30-50 with car or £8 by bike; needless to say I’ll bike as much as possible. I’ll be needing to take tins of paint, tools etc so aa trailer would be pretty handy.

Whilst I know that an Axel loading trailer would be best, there is a decent range on the market.

What experience do you have of these? Will be used on tarmac and perhaps gravel tracks but not envisaged to be used off road.

Also loosely planning a longer camping based cycle tour in Europe next year it could be useful for too…

squirrelking
    Free Member

Bike with loaded trailer to Wemyss Bay??? Please tell me you’re coming from the north or driving as far as the ferry. 😯

Sorry, nothing more useful to add but jeez…

scruff9252

Aye, last winter we drove to wemyss bay, parked up an took the bikes on the ferry.. Plan to do the same this winter too, albeit from Greenock as wemyss bay closed for refurb.

soma_rich
    Free Member

I bought this yesterday!
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-SINGLE-WHEEL-BICYCLE-BIKE-TRAILER-STORAGE-BAG-SHOCK-ABSORPTION-ONE-WHEEL-/371391106887?hash=item5678a28f47:g:fLYAAOSwjVVVrsYL

No idea of the quality but will be used for weekly food shops. Will give you an update when it turns up in a couple of weeks 🙂

jamiesilo
    Free Member

Carry Freedom.
    the best
    great engineering
    i’ve owned a bob yack and a carry freedom Y-frame small and the Yframe was miles better. single wheel roles and tracks well, but as soon as you stop, and if you’e carrying any weight, it’ a PITA
    based in scotland too carry freedom.

amedias
    Free Member

No idea of the quality but will be used for weekly food shops

It’s expectedly poor quality wise, but unexpectedly OK function wise!

I used one for a few months until finding a 2nd hand Yak, for general shopping and stuff it’ll be fine.

It won’t stand up to hard use or very heavy loads like a BOB will (waaaaay better built and sturdier), and it’s a lot rattlier and not as stable at high speed, but for the amount they cost they are a flippin bargain and better than they have a right to be!

The falling over single-wheel issue is easily fixed with a decent 2-leg kick stand botled on the bottom, and them makes them as stable when stopped as a 2 wheel and less likely to roll back and forth.

Single wheel definitely rides better, tracks better, fits through gaps better and is better at speed, but if you have very heavy loads (>30Kg) to deal with at lower speeds I would say go for a 2-wheeler as you’ll be a lot more stable. Carry Freedom is about he best of the 2-wheelers out there and for lugging big and heavy stuff around its the way to go, it is a lot more flexible in terms of load area too.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Bike cargo trailers’ is closed to new replies.