Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Bike cameras? …for the dangerous daily commute to work!
  • serrature
    Free Member

Hey everyone!
    I’m watching a documentary on the rise of cyclists on the roads of London and the dangers they face. It’s a really contentious topic, prompting me to come here 🙂

I too cycle to work every day, rain hail or shine and like many I’ve had my fair share of near misses and thoughtless drivers doing incredibly dangerous things.

So I see that more and more are using helmet cameras or cameras mounted on the handlebars.

Does anyone use cameras on their commutes?
    Which ones do you use? …maybe not the GoPro ones which we all know are really expensive, although the 2nd hand market seems to be strong.

fozzybear
    Free Member

get one of those Argos ones.

cheap and ok for what you need.

bails

ContourHD here. It still works in the dark (a lot of cheap ones ‘smudge’ when it’s a bit dim so are useless for getting a numberplate.

Just don’t start a youtube channel of you screaming at everything 😉

Big-Dave
    Free Member

I normally only ride with a helmet camera when doing rides I want to document. After three near misses in the space of a 45 minute bike ride earlier today I’m now not going to take to the roads without one. Just sick of being treated like dirt by drivers and hopefully if I have a really bad experience the footage could be useful as evidence.

I’ve got an Oregon Scientific Action Cam. It films in 720p and provides fairly decent quality footage. Gets a bit confused by rapidly changing light conditions but seems pretty tough and water proof. Decent battery life as well.

trail_rat
    Free Member

roadhawk HD here for commuting use – not generally an issue on recreation riding as i choose my roads but commuting by its nature means heading into high density idiot areas. ….. now toying with fitting them to the car after this weeks dealing with insurance crap.

240 each but would have paid for them selves this week alone. :@

hypnotoad
    Free Member

The SJ1000 is worth a look, has a waterproof casing.

The only thing is some sellers are selling the 140 degree lens while others are selling the 80 degree lens version.

I think the 140 would be better as a helmet cam.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Bike cameras? …for the dangerous daily commute to work!’ is closed to new replies.