Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Big grips
  • GrumpyDave
    Free Member

Having nerve trouble in one of my hands when riding and I want to try something different to see if they help. Not Ergon grips, they seem to make it worse. Running Lizard Skins North Shore loc-ons at the moment. Can anyone recommend anything bigger/ softer?

DezB
    Free Member

Big & soft – Ourys
    Bigger & softer – Sunline Thick

(I think I might have some Sunline thicks going spare if you want to try em)

MrTall
    Free Member

I’ve had the Sunline Thicks and am currently using the Lizard Skin North Shores. I seem to remember measuring them and found the North Shores were very marginally bigger. Never tried the Ourys. I will say the Sunlines are softer (as less hard wearing as a result) though.

It’s always annoyed me that there is very little choice in bigger grips and i’m expected to use ‘normal’ grips when i’ve got shovels for hands. Everything else can be size specific but never grips. Can’t see it changing though so i guess i’ll make do…..

Bream
    Free Member

Ourys are my fav and the largest I found, never seen or tried the Sunlines mind. Worth a punt is DezB has a 2nd hand pair to try.

Gotama
    Free Member

Got the Lizard skins and Oury lock ons. Found the LIzard a bit thicker than the oury ones. Oury are nice and soft though, tempted to try the non lock on version as i find them annoying since my hand sits on the end of the bar. Raceface good n evil are apparently thick but again not lock on. Frustrating though. Half tempted to wrap some roadie bar tap around the lizard skins to thicken em up a bit 😯 😀

Gotama
    Free Member

Bream – have you tried the normal oury rather than lock on. Are they narrower in diameter?

Bream
    Free Member

Nope, only ever use Oury lock ons on my DH bike.

fbk
    Free Member

I’ve just received some “Excel” grips from Superstar and they’re huge! Pretty big diameter and about 30% wider than all the others I’ve tried. Only put them on last week but so far they seem pretty comfy.

Padded gloves make a bike difference too – I struggle to ride all day without them.

mboy
    Free Member

Have tried a number if fat grips over the last couple of years, and always come back to my favourite ODI Rogue lockons. But then I tried the OURY’s (too short and too hard), and Sunline thick’s (just a touch too fat and too soft) too which are both thicker if that’s what you’re after…

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Odi Cush are lovely and comfy

jonba
    Free Member

I use the superstarcomponents ones. They’re pretty good and cheap too.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

The Superstar ones are good and fat, but they aren’t as grippy as others, particularly in the wet. They are cheap though, so me be worth a punt, and the colours are great too.

10pmix
    Free Member

I love my Blackspire Epic Lock Ons. Slight ergo bulge but helps to get a proper grasp of things imho.

FOG

I agree with Mr Tall. I have the Lizard skins on one bike and Ruffians on the other and there is no way they can be described as large grips. Why can’t we have a size range of grips. There was a big fuss in recent years about sizing down for women but not sizing up for us big hand brigade. The same applies with gloves, I can never get any to fit properly. They either fir palms or fingers but rarely both

molgrips
    Free Member

Not Ergon grips, they seem to make it worse

Have you tried the Ergon Enduro ones? I’ve got them and they are ace. Totally different to those annoying wide palm ones:

dufresneorama
    Free Member

SS Excel grips here too. They are rather comfy and you can mix and match colours and endcaps to pimp them up

LadyAlexMTB
    Free Member

+1 for Ourys

I used to have this problem. I changed my handlebar from straight to risers or mary and it solved it. Other things that helped me:

Buy gloves with the thickest gel insert you can find

Dont hold on so tight

carbon bar if everything else fails?

rocketman
    Free Member

Race Face Strafe. Because you’re worth it.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Big grips’ is closed to new replies.