Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Bib Shorts
  • honourablegeorge

Mrs is going to get me the Rapha 3/4 bibs for Xmas – good choice for under baggies? Anything I’d be e better off with?

bobbyatwork
    Free Member

ouch! that sort of money would get ya some assos also.best seat pad in the business..my 2p

MarkyG82

Long time since I bought any but I prefer bib shorts and leg warmers. Gives you more flexibility.

My 2 cents.

honourablegeorge

20% off Rapha at the minute…. is there much to choose between them and Assos?

honourablegeorge

Coming in a lit cheaper than Assos. And look cleaner, IMO.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I can’t see 20% off on their website – is there a code or something?

Rapha bib shorts are very comfortable – the 3/4 ones are very nice. i ride a rigid bike and the pad is comfortable.

scratch
    Free Member

GOBBLE11

honourablegeorge

Hmm… their cross 3/4s versus the regular…. anyone tried both?

The colour puts me off the cross ones a bit, but they are cheaper.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Ah – I can resist anything except temptation!

Cheers for that!

rhys
    Free Member

To be honest I wouldn’t spend anything like that much if you are just going to wear them under baggies. Normal bib shorts yes but the 3/4 ones get knackered by the rubbing. That’s what has happened to my Assos roubaix ones.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I have the Rapha’s cross bibs and think that they are are excellent, extremely warm, good fit, very nice feel. I use them with baggies for winter riding as well as rides when I’m not wearing club kit, (rare).

jamiec360
    Free Member

What about Shutt VR got a pair of 3/4 about a month ago, really good fit and while not having tried Rapha they would need to go some to have a better pad.
    Not as warm as my Enduras but much much better fit. £89 seems a lot less than Rapha would charge as well

gee
    Free Member

Castelli Sorpasso?

Just got 2 pairs of them to replace v old Assos ones and they are a better cut with more detailing on the fabrics.

http://www.probikekit.com/uk/clothing/mens/cycling-clothing/tights/castelli-sorpasso-cycling-bib-knickers.html

GB

njee20
    Free Member

I think the newest Assos stuff has gone downhill – form over function. The older stuff (when it was very plain) is fantastic, but then newer stuff is too fussy I reckon, and the quality doesn’t seem as good as it was.

Reckon you’ll be reet with the Raphas, although I’m not sure how long I’d expect them to last under baggies in the mud – potentially like sand paper!

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1 for under baggies, and for MTBing in general come to think of it, I run cheaper kit than Rapha – Gore and Giordana usually. Save the nice stuff for road work, where it won’t get abused.

barn
    Free Member

I’ve got two pairs of these DHB padded roubaix 3/4s and they work great.

£43 a throw.

Haven’t tried the Raphas but I do like their sportwool jerseys, clean quality that fits brilliantly.

honourablegeorge

The Swedish Chef – Member
    I have the Rapha’s cross bibs and think that they are are excellent, extremely warm, good fit, very nice feel. I use them with baggies for winter riding as well as rides when I’m not wearing club kit, (rare).

Not a fan of the colour, but I think the cross ones might be the better choice for me….how do they size up?

LoCo
    Free Member

Quite like my new Cippolini bibs

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I’ve gone down the root of good quality bib shorts and leg warmers for off road (started a thread about it the other day) because I’m always ripping the knees on bib knicks.

I’ve gone for Endura FS260 – the quality and value is fantastic. I have Rapha and Assos kit for road biking, but I really don’t think it’s worth spending that much for off road kit.

honourablegeorge

I’ll be covering them with 3/4 waterproof shorts for offroad stuff, and I might wear them a bit for some on-road training, once I get off my arse a bit.

SBrock
    Free Member

I’ve got two pairs of these DHB padded roubaix 3/4s and they work great.

£43 a throw.

Haven’t tried the Raphas but I do like their sportwool jerseys, clean quality that fits brilliantly.

I’m thinking of getting some of these for my riding in the dark peak with a pair of baggies…. Not bad for the money is it really worth spending any more? I’m just gonna match them up with some some Endura Singletack shorts, baa baa bas layer, jersey and jacket, I like the fact that when my jersey/base layer rides up my back the tights will keep my back draught free.

honourablegeorge

I like the fact that when my jersey/base layer rides up my back the tights will keep my back draught free.

Exactly what I’m after

Militant_biker

Castelli Sorpasso?

Just got 2 pairs of them to replace v old Assos ones and they are a better cut with more detailing on the fabrics.I did the same (well, 1 pair). I think they are much worse than my old Assos (T Roubaix). Can’t get them to sit right.

traildog
    Free Member

Have you tried bibs under baggy shorts before? Personally, I find them a less than successful setup, with the baggies sliding down too low all the time. I prefer non-bib undershorts, but you maybe different.

njee20
    Free Member

I like the fact that when my jersey/base layer rides up my back the tights will keep my back draught free.

Base layer under bib straps and it won’t ride up!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Bib Shorts’ is closed to new replies.