Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Bib-Knickers
  • alexonabike

Do people use bibs for general mtb-ing?

I would like some 3/4 undershorts and the majority seem to be bibs – what are the advantages/disadvantages over just shorts? I will be wearing them under baggies and base-layer tops (and a jacket in the wet).

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Advantages?

Warm Kidneys as you don't get "that" gap.

No-one get to see yer brickies' Clevage.

Disadvantages?

If you need to go for a piss, then make sure you leave yerself enough time…

brooess
    Free Member

As Teetosugars says. Just dead comfy

rolfharris
    Free Member

They're comfier, and the pad stays put better which means less plum-rubbage. They are much more comfortable.

Frankers
    Free Member

I use 3/4 bib knickers for most of my autumn/winter/spring riding, always with baggies over on the mtb and none when on the road bike. AS above very comfy and no gap between shirt.

I have tried many inc Gore, DHB, older Endura and Pearl Izumi, my current faves are the new Endura FS260 bibs

jond
    Free Member

B*gger bib knickers – when it's chilly just go for bib longs and have done with it – peel the whole lot off and yer legs are pretty damn clean – which is handy if you've got to get in a car without a hose-down.
    Forget the baggies, waste of time IMO.
    (Then again, I R XC jeyboy..)

Roubaix-stylee top (or thermal top under s/s jersey) with roubaix bib longs (Lusso stuff's good) normally do me for most UK weather from about 15 degrees down to freezing, and I don't bother with a jacket unless it's chucking it down). Any warmer than that and lycra tights with bib shorts (or shorts+braces) helps keep my rubbishy knees a little warmer – and also have the dirt peel-off advantage 🙂

I *have* tried on bib knickers once – but found the elastic sufficiently tight that I felt like my calves were gonna drop off/explode – wouldn't have helped the varicose veins much either 😮 But I'm sure they're not all like that.

robarnold
    Free Member

Specialized RBX bib knickers are the cat's pyjamas, can't recommend them enough

mattsccm
    Free Member

Can't fault DHB

MrOvershoot

Have been using bib shorts/tights & 3/4 for decades and I cant imagine not having the bib bit as the shorts would always slip down?

But what is it with the thickness of the pads in some of the new stuff its bloody massive! DHB included

Harry_the_Spider

I always wear 3/4 bibs. Warm back, clean legs.

I've got an On-One pair. They are quite low at the front which helps with alfresco weeing.

jam-bo

ground effect do a good pair of non-bib 3/4's. montezumas i think

MrOvershoot

Harry_the_Spider – Member

I always wear 3/4 bibs. Warm back, clean legs.

I've got an On-One pair. They are quite low at the front which helps with alfresco weeing.
    Good reminder Harry I had a pair of the On-Ones that got shredded in a crash, bought some Altura ones and the pad was like 3 nappies stuck together.
    Don't know why I didn't just replace like with like?

jose
    Free Member

The 3/4 dhb ones I have are great for wintern riding, worn under baggys and a long sleeve base layer. Advantages for me are warmer for your kidneys and less clothing joins under the bottom of your bag. Disadvantage is also being warm – I dislike being too hot on climbs, it makes me slow *ahem*.

Though I wish I'd got womens ones… (I know that wont affect most of you)! Any recommendations for 3/4 length womens bib knickers?? The only ones I can find <£60 in 5 mins quick look are dhb Ladies Merston Bib Tights, but they are full length.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Knickers combined with waterproof baggy outer were perfect for my hack around Cann this morning.

Although I wear roubaix tights for road, I find them just too warm for mtb, even in the middle of Winter. Of course, it never really gets that cold in the westcountry. I might be thinking differently if I lived in Yorkshire.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Bib-Knickers’ is closed to new replies.