• This topic has 42 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Betting at Greyhound Racing
  • Jase
    Free Member

Off for an evening out on Saturday to the dogs. Not interested in the betting aspect but know that 8 year old daughter will be to keep her interested.

Is it simply a case of picking a dog and then stipulating how much we want to place on said dog?

Is there a minimum amount you have to bet?

Ta.

DezB
    Free Member

Is it simply a case of picking a dog and then stipulating how much we want to place on said dog?
    Yep

Is there a minimum amount you have to bet?
    Yep (probably 50p)

The track bookies will help you.

skywalker
    Free Member

I LIKE CHEESE!

rootes1

reverse trio

I know at wimbledon you can get a ticket, food voucher and a basic guide to the dogs – very useful..

took me a few races to conclude ‘W’ next to a dogs name means ‘runs wide’ and not ‘winner’ 😆

thomthumb
    Free Member

last time i went my mate who doesn’t like gambling put a £1 accumulator ‘in the spirit of things’ and went home with £90!! we went home ‘up’ according to my other half because there was still money in our pockets 🙄

Jase
    Free Member

Thanks.

I have a ticket for:

Entry with race cards for two, four or six
    Includes burger and chips or vegetarian option

theteaboy
    Free Member

Me and the Mrs have been once.

She won £40ish.

Her winnings nearly covered my losses.

I’m now banned from placing bets.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

It’s fun.

But be sure to be ready to watch well before the start of the race – they don’t last long.

rootes1

and if you fancy a pooch…

http://www.retiredgreyhounds.co.uk/

binners

Includes burger and chips or vegetarian option

A vegetarian option? At the dogs? Pfft! What the hell is the world coming too? No wonder the countries in such a mess

The dogs is a right laugh. I believe it will be your daughters job to pick the one who’s name she likes the best. Having an 8 year old daughter myself, I can’t see any other system being tolerated

Have fun! 😀

DougFoling
    Free Member

Also, see if she can also pick the one that will be put down at the track after sustaining a perfectly treatable injury.

Or, perhaps, have a guess at how many pups ‘disappear’ without even making it to the track.

binners

Yay! The animal rights activists have turned up. They’re always a right laugh-a-minute

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqlZoTSB7p4[/video]

zimbo
    Free Member

Yay! The animal rights activists have turned up. They’re always a right laugh-a-minute

Ha ha! There’s a bloke in Sunderland who’ll shoot a greyhound you no longer could be arsed feeding for just a tenner…and then bury it with hundreds of others in a hole in his yard! What a hoot!

binners

Must have a big yard. How long do you reckon he can keep that rate of attrition up for? How long has it taken him to accrue the hundreds of carcasses he’s got? I’m just trying to get the logistics of this operation straight in my head

zimbo
    Free Member

Must have a big yard. How long do you reckon he can keep that rate of attrition up for? How long has it taken him to accrue the hundreds of carcasses he’s got? I’m just trying to get the logistics of this operation straight in my head

My mistake. It was thousands. http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/local/greyhound_cull_sparks_anti_racing_protests_1_1122333
    Not the only incident either.

Still think it’s a laugh?

loum
    Free Member

Turn up.
    Watch the owners parade the dogs before each race.
    Bet on the one that has a pooh, dog not owner.
    Win. 🙂

binners

Well zimbo, thanks for that. Having read it, it looks to me like an awful lot of utterly sensationalist allegations and accusations with absolutely eff all evidence to back it up.

But, hey, don’t let that get in the way of a good old bit of foaming-at-the-mouth moral indigence eh?

Which do you think the more vulnerable, and worthy of your righteous protection? Greyhounds, or high horses?

zimbo
    Free Member

I’m just trying to get the logistics of this operation straight in my head

…and before you jump on the “allegedly” – from the Guardian…”A builders’ merchant who today admitted killing and burying thousands of former racing greyhounds on land near his home”.

zimbo
    Free Member

well you beat me to it…predictable aren’t you?

totalshell

and they all wear such nice coats as well. you d think the clever dog would be the one who stood still and lay in wait for the hare as it comes round for the second lap

binners

No link? If there’s no link then its not real. Everyone knows that!

Sorry… as well as being predictable, I’m not very bright. I find graphs help too. Will there be graphs? Or Pi charts?

miketually
    Free Member

No link? If there’s no link then its not real. Everyone knows that!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2007/feb/16/ukcrime.animalwelfare

zimbo
    Free Member

Oooh jokes about graphs, now the ones about slaughtering dogs don’t seem so funny.

DezB
    Free Member

Hey Jase! Have a guilt free, fun day won’t you.
    Love from STW
    😀

grum
    Free Member

I used to work for William Hill in a call centre, and some of the managers there owned Greyhounds. They were tight lipped about what exactly they themselves got up to, but they said there was all sorts of shenanigans that went on.

Apparently it’s not uncommon amongst some owners that if they have a dog they don’t want to win (because they had layed rather than bet on it to win, or because they wanted to bump up it’s odds for another race), they would **** it off just before the start to leave it feeling lethargic!

binners

Just looking at the date. 2006?

Why on earth is this relevant to the OP taking his daughter to the dogs? What’s your point caller?

Seems to me you’re looking for any old opportunity to wave your lofty, self-righteous superior morals around. Don’t let me stop you

Stoner
    Free Member

The greyhound was a grave disappointment to Paddy and he’d lost a fortune on him at a right handed track.
    “There’s only one thing that will improve that dog, Paddy,” urged a neighbour. “Put some lead in his left ear.”
    “And sure how would I do that?” asked Paddy.
    “With this here pistol!”

Meanwhile, Murphy was arrested at the greyhound track, police caught him trying to drug the hare.

franksinatra

Doug Foling – Member
    Also, see if she can also pick the one that will be put down at the track after sustaining a perfectly treatable injury.

Or, perhaps, have a guess at how many pups ‘disappear’ without even making it to the track.

Posted 46 minutes ago #

Am I the only one that read the authors name as Dog Fouling?

zimbo
    Free Member

Why on earth is this relevant to the OP taking his daughter to the dogs?

Like it stopped in 2006.

Seems to me you’re looking for any old opportunity to wave your lofty, self-righteous superior morals around

Ha ha! The (again) predictable retort of the perplexed individual.

Stoner
    Free Member

Am I the only one that read the authors name as Dog Fouling?

Nope.

And with one post to his profile, I cant help but think that PETA have a google search set up on STW! 😯

zimbo
    Free Member

What’s your point caller?

I should have added, my point is that the OP might not want his daughter to be party to this kind of shenanigans. That’s his choice.

binners

Well I’ve got to thank you for clearing the whole thing up about animal rights types being a barrel of laughs, anyway. Blimey! How wrong was I? Apologies.

Have you thought of a career as a children’s entertainer?

Jase
    Free Member

I already have a greyhound and have owned them for the past 15 years so know all about the stories.

We have mixed feelings about the actual racing.

zimbo
    Free Member

Well I’ve got to thank you for clearing the whole thing up about animal rights types being a barrel of laughs, anyway

Yeah, people with a conscience never have a laugh. You right wingers have all the best comedians. Like….er….er….

Jase – sorry for hijacking your thread! I’ll shut up now!

grum
    Free Member

I already have a greyhound and have owned them for the past 15 years so know all about the stories.

Ever tossed it off?

:sorry:

binners

Jim Davidson?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Eh? How did this become a right/left argument? 😕

binners

Ssssssssssssssh Flashy. I can feel his righteous moral indigence building again. I’ve never been called right wing before. I’m quite enjoying it. Revelling in my new-found Toryness, I am.

It is Tories who shoot dogs isn’t it Zimbo?

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

http://www.greyhounds-donoughue-report.co.uk/

There, now shut your mouths and go and do some reading.

This is why I don’t post here that often anymore. 😡

binners

Have we hit that time machine again? We keep going back to 2007

Do animal rights types get all your news from then? They’ve found Bin Laden, you know? He was in Pakistan, it turned out. Oh… and Tony Blair isn’t prime minister any more

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Betting at Greyhound Racing’ is closed to new replies.