Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Best way to mend a tyre?
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

1st rid eout on anew high roller (2.35 folding 60a to be precise), 9 miles in a 30mm long spike of brick goes straight in the tread. 5-7mm square hole in the tread now!!

How do i BEST repair it?

matthew_h
    Free Member

Velox tubeless patch kit might do it.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

are they thicker than standard patches? The hole isn’t big enough to bulge i don’t think

cynic-al
    Free Member

no but they don’t stretch.

You could try a Panaracer style tubeless repair.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

tried a push thru style string but the hole is too big

mrdestructo

How far are you wanting to ride on the tyre? When it comes down to not fussing about rotational weight issues there is one way, but you’re not gonna like it.

Cut out a section of toothpaste tube, stick a larger piece of gaffa tape over it, apply to inside of tyre. Pumped up tube should hold it in place a while. It’s not a permanent solution mind.

It’s really an emergency job though, on the trails. We used to carry pieces in our rucksacks to do the job. I’m not even going to go down the car seat belt route here.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

i used the toothpaste tube trick for about a year in one tyre – didn’t even gaffa tape it in – the inflated innertube meant it didn’t move…

HantsNightRider
    Free Member

make a patch from sidewall of an old tyre
    super glue to the inside of the tyre

Speshpaul

toothpaste tube…..thats so eighties, its plastic milk bottle now:-)

The-Duke

I’ve mended a tyre using a needle and some dental floss to stitch it back together and then a tubeless patch on the inside. Been fine ever since even running tubeless

neilnevill
    Free Member

maxxis high roller you say? first ride out you say? bit like this you think? (this was actually a minion but well…)

well I did this first with dental floss

then got a bit of old tyre and uses Evostick contact adhesive to glue it as a patch on the inside

worked fine. the dental floss probably wasn’t needed, it started to get cut on rocks/pull out very quickly…but then it did get 3 weeks in Pheonix and Sedona straight after the repair…tough on sidewalls.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Best way to mend a tyre?’ is closed to new replies.