Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Best way to clean a waterproof jacket???
  • leec247
    Free Member

Got back from a brilliant ride on the quantocks today and set about cleaning everything like I normally do. But mu waterproof jacket (which I clean using a cloth and some warm water) just doesn’t look that clean. Anybody got any good tips for getting them clean???

MartynS

soap flakes and a hand wash. cool tumble dry or cool iron.

jockhaggis
    Free Member

Errr, am I missing something. Put it in the washing machine?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

how cool is a “cool iron” – nylon/silk setting?

TooTall
    Free Member

Follow the instructions on the manufacturers website if there are any, or go to an outdoor shop and get some Nikwax / Granger liquid for washing breathable (it is breathable isn’t it?) fabrics.

iainc

read the care label – some brands, such as Altura, cannot be tumble dried as it unglues the seams

MartynS

Errr, am I missing something. Put it in the washing machine?

well yes, but with soap flakes. Washing powders strip off the waterproofing and there is usually a residue left in the machine

I think cool iron is as cool as it will go.. I’ve never done it!!

carlphillips
    Free Member

nikwax tech wash, then re proof, all other times never wash unless proper caked.

matt_outandabout

Nikwax use soap flakes first if you ask them to do a ‘proper’ clean – then tech wash then TX direct wash in and light tumble.

chorlton
    Free Member

Just do what it tells you on the label. Probably use soap flakes in the sink or Nikwax Tech wash or something similar in the washer. Just clean the powder drawer of detergent first. I always do mine pretty regularly.

MarkN
    Free Member

If you can get away with just rinsing and wiping it down. If not then as said pure soap flakes. Much like tents keep any detergent well away from it.

stoney
    Free Member

If you get it done straight away after a “filthy” ride then just the rinse n spin will do it, no detergent required, all you`re doing is rinsing the muck off!.

wash the dispensing drawer first though! 😉

You still have to Tech Wash or similar quite regular though…..

Andy-W
    Free Member

just chuck it in the wash with all the other stuff you ride in,re proof from time to time and all will be well

been doing that with a gore tex i have had for about 20 years and it still does the job

you can get a bit too tech when washing your riding gear !!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Best way to clean a waterproof jacket???’ is closed to new replies.