Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Best way into a merc sprinter without keys?
  • wysiwyg
    Free Member

So my so called mate dropped his van off on my drive 2 weeks ago for 1 night. It’s still here after multiple warnings. What’s best way in with least damage so I can tow it to his drive?

yunki
    Free Member

khani
    Free Member

Funnily enough my mates just scrapped one, got £250 and they put a chain through the front and back windows and lifted it on the back of a lorry
    No keys needed 😀

mmb
    Free Member

phone him up and thank him for finally taking the van away! at which point he panics and comes over thinking it’s been nicked, then make him take it away.

maccruiskeen

My sprinter has been broken into a few times – typical MOs are:

If the rear windows are glazed and theres no bulkhead then pull the rubber seal out of the right hand window take the glass out and reach in.

If have to get into the cab because theres a bulkhead and you are feeling less polite jam a screwdriver through between the bodywork at the top edge of the door handle above the key hole and you can operate the door release through there. This is only polite in the sense that the van will look intact and keep the rain out once you’ve moved it. It’ll still be an operating door that you can lock, just one that anyone else who wants to can now open with a screwdriver or you made the hole big enough- their finger

Infact – look and see if this has already been done in the past, sprinter locks are commonly attacked this way

Less polite still is a brick through the window – which will make it more urgent for him to collect his van but will be cheaper and quicker for him to repair

To move without getting inside maybe chock the wheels, crawl under and slacken off or cut the handbrake cable perhaps.

For all of this – the steering lock will still be on, so you’ll only be able to move it in straight lines ( or in whatever arc the wheels are turned at)

EDIT Actually you could probably pull the seal out of the quarterlights to get into the cab

br
    Free Member

What’s best way in with least damage so I can tow it to his drive?

Or to the nearest Red Route?

Waderider
    Free Member

“Got £250”

Worth £400 as scrap, poor deal.

project
    Free Member

Put a sign on it saying no tools left in vehicle, so the natives know there are tools in sometimes and will then try to break into it to check.

If you can open the bonnet, get a length of dowel and after pulling off the plastic pipe that feed cool air to the side vents, insert dowel through hole and then push back the snib hiloding the door closed, it works on a transit, as the AA man showed me, when i locked the keys in.

project
    Free Member

Another way is to dril a hole in the a pillar, at the side of the windscreen and pass a wire through it with a loop then try and hook the door realease, youve only got the steering lock then.

stucol
    Free Member

Two trolley jacks and a trailer !

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Just get your mate told that he’s no longer a mate and that you’re sick of him taking the piss.

Neil-F
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be towing it to his drive, I’d be towing it to the nearest Industrial estate and leaving it in a state of abandonment!

MrOvershoot

mmb – Member

phone him up and thank him for finally taking the van away! at which point he panics and comes over thinking it’s been nicked, then make him take it away.

Winner 😀

Liftman

Crawl under the van with a pair of wire cutters, cut handbrake cable, push van into street, not your problem any more.

robhughes
    Free Member

Liftman…Utter brilliance 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Best way into a merc sprinter without keys?’ is closed to new replies.