Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Best turntable for £150 ish
  • sssimon
    Free Member

well what do we reckon?

cheapest I can see a rega planar is £194, but I’d rather not go that far, want something that doen;t look out of place in a living room as I’m getting rid of some kam decks

pealy
    Free Member

Rega & the like are a bit of a different beast to DJ decks. Are you looking for something which sounds & feels like your KAM gear? If so then you may be better looking at the likes of Technics/Pioneer…

If not then have you considered something used from ebay? Something like a Systemdek IIx with an RB250 would sound much better than the cheapest Planar.

Haze

On a related note, I read last week that Panasonic were ceasing production of the Technics SL1200 series.

Expect second hand prices to rise?

sssimon
    Free Member

looking for reasonable sound quality and as simple as possible, will have a look at your suggestion Pealy. Anyone any experience of the Projects on Richersounds? got offered a deal on their display model today

alexxx
    Free Member

I’ve got a numark deck you can buy if you want? I had a pair but left one at uni by accident and dont intend on getting another?
    I’ll find the model if your interested?

Everywhen
    Free Member

Project stuff is Ok, mate of mine has one. Not a stable (pitch/wow etc) as a SL1200 though.
    Rega 2 is ok, again not as stable and solid as the SL1200. Looks good though.

sssimon
    Free Member

as I said I hve a pair of kams but want something a bit more presentable to sit in the living room without looking like a student house (wife’s words not mine)

joolsburger
    Free Member

I’ve been into Turntables for years and years and I think I know a bit about them.

The Projects, Regas and so on are nice little decks most of which have a manual speed change and the bare minimum of features. Equipped with a reasonable cartridge and set up correctly and level on a wall shelf they sound pretty decent.

A second hand SL1210 running the same cartridge would sound as good or better I think, they are very stable pitch wise and are good with bass. You’d get a dog for £150.

I’d say go for a Planar 3/ RB300 and you’ll be all set just make sure it’s level and the tracking weight is right.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/REGA-PLANAR-3-RB300-ARM-/120650093848?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Turntables&hash=item1c174e5518

Clean the belt with Alchohol, drop of oil on the bearing and you should be fine..

martymac

for reasonable sound quality and simple as poss you want a systemdek, you couldnt really get much simpler than a 1.
    1 switch, lift platter to move belt for speed change, no suspension.
    not that common, but you should find one on ebay if your not in a hurry.
    im happy with mine, got a rega rb250 arm with a stanton500 mm cartridge.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Boiling the rubber drive belts works better to clean it I think…

Those cork mats can be a big improvement over the felt mats on a glass platter – look a bit geeky though

souldrummer
    Free Member

Got a Project 2 a few months ago. I think there is a very slight impedence mis-match with my old NAD amp but I am more than happy with it. Easy to set up and, more importantly, I can now listen to all my old vinyl again.

MrAgreeable

A second hand SL1210 running the same cartridge would sound as good or better I think, they are very stable pitch wise and are good with bass. You’d get a dog for £150.

The build quality of Technics is great but they are pretty rumbly (no doubt due to the sheer amount of metal in the things) and even a pretty cheap Project or the like sounds better to my ears.

Although if you’ve got a recommendation for a cartridge that would make them sound amazing while still allowing for a bit of wicky wicky, please share.

joolsburger
    Free Member

My experience of the 1210 was very positive. I had one here with my AT33PTG on a wall shelf but otherwise standard. I thought it sounded better than a Planar 3 which I heard with the same cart, it was also completely silent. It was pretty new and had been very well looked after.

Sorry, no decent cartridge is going to let you scratch!

chvck
    Free Member

On a related note, I read last week that Panasonic were ceasing production of the Technics SL1200 series.

Expect second hand prices to rise?

I’m really hoping so!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Technics SP10 in a decent plinth is still a good bet – with a good arm on it will beat most things.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

The SL1200 is a completely different turntable. It’s direct drive for a start…

For £150 I would go 2nd hand, you’ll get something pretty decent for that. Keep an eye on ebay and the likes.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve got a Rega Planar 3. (RB300 tonearm I think…)
    Which I love but never use any more.
    I keep thinking about selling it, but somehow I can’t.
    Never say never though…… 8)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Edited – I wasn’t making any sense! 😳

pealy
    Free Member

Thanks OP!

I read this post, then I realised I had a deck and tonne of LP’s I don’t listen to and thought I’d get enough on ebay to buy the XTR crankset I want. Went home with every intention of taking pics & listing them but then started leafing through the vinyl and couldn’t bring myself to do it. Spent the evening basking in the joy of analogue instead – reminded me just how sweet the sound is.. I’m so glad I came to my senses.

timdavies

I’ve got a debut 3 for sale which has been used less than 5 times for £150 on the small ads at work.

zbonty

as others have said go second hand. I saw a 1210 in my local cash converters for £90 the other week in good condition.

Quite happy with my 1210MK5Gs!

Shame if they stop making them, though i imagine sales have shrunk somewhat in the last ten years..

k-sugden
    Free Member

Hi I have an Acoustic Research AR101 in Black Ash the cover could do with a polish but other than that it is in very good condition I am Just about to go on holiday til a week on Sunday but can send you some images when I get back if you are interested.

Regards Keith

epicsteve
    Free Member

I used to have one of the entry level Project decks and it sounded pretty good.

Not difficult to find good sounding turntables 2nd hand though – I got my LP12 and TD160B MkII that way.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Yep, 2nd is the best way. Tha vast majority will have been lovingly cared for.

I bought my Michel from a nice chap on here (well, his uncle) and it’s one of the best things I have ever invested in…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Best turntable for £150 ish’ is closed to new replies.