Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Best tiny frame?
  • thebunk

Now that I’ve got a new bike steed, I’m thinking of mrsbunks next bike dandyhorse – she’s currently got a 15″ Specialized Myka – she’s 4’11” so I think it is probably too big for her and holding her back a bit. She has upgraded everything on it, so the next step is the frame.

Ideally she could have a 13″ Cotic Soul, but Cy aint making them, so what is out there that is tiny, and can be brought frame only? Hardtail preferably, but full suss suggestions also gratefully received and consider.

The only option I know of are the Kinesis womens frame – even the small is maybe too big for her.

What to do? I need something new to fettle!

(edited – replaced the word “Bike” with more better words)

toys19
    Free Member

I’ve got a 14 inch BFe, I’m a shade under 5’6″ but I’ve only got an inside leg of 26.5 inches. So my inside leg is probs not far off a 4’ll” person. I’m king of the stump people. But I find the BFa a great size for me, importantly its shorter in the top tube so reach is not too ridculous. It’s only a bit heavier than the soul, mine built up with fox 140’s is 32 lb, but with some carbon bits and light wheels you could make it a good deal lighter.

If your in Devon Exeter, come and have a feel..

glynP
    Free Member

Small SC chameleon crazy stand over and short top tube, we have a black one in the shop

scaredypants

mamadirt is your girl for this, I think

the “tiny frame” in title will have her along in no time 😉

xiphon
    Free Member

Five Diva frame, in short size?

si-wilson
    Free Member

We have just had an XS Chumba XCL frame delivered and it looks ace, very cute!

Jerome
    Free Member

Custom frame for xmas..
    Should be cheap as not much metal..

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

What about some sort of 4x/dirt jump frame?

alexpalacefan

14″ Inbred/456 FTW,

I’ve a 26″ inside leg, and they both suit me.

APF

toys19
    Free Member

I had a 14 inch inbred and found it very long..

Custom frame also sounds like a good idea. Curtis (He says salivating)

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Mrs ADH (at 4’10”) has a 14.5″ merlin malt 1. Its still a bit too big TBH, but with short cranks, stem, narrow bars, inline post etc it is close.

Avoid dirt & jump frames – often v stiff, overbuilt and heavy for small riders.

If you can’t get a 13″ frame, go custom.

xiphon
    Free Member

The 13″ Merlin Dual / CRC Brand-X Dirt Mk3 is a fairly light frame.

Mrs Xiphon’s 5’1″.ish, and rides a 16″ Patriot, with very short stem, and in-line post.

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/5287747/

mamadirt
    Free Member

scaredypants – Member

mamadirt is your girl for this, I think

the “tiny frame” in title will have her along in no time

Um, you folks know me too well 😳 . I think the posts above have answered the question and as glynP says Santa Cruz bikes are pretty short in the toptube. I’ve always favoured 14″ Kona and Inbred frames and have had a few of each but some say they are a little long – until recently I would have disagreed but having spent some time on several short frames over the last year or so I’m now a definite ‘short and chuckable’ convert.

rummages through bicycle back-catalogue Hmmmm, most of my recent short-@r$e builds have been full sus (MC Battery, Tazer FS, Tazer VP, Commencal Absolut SX) with the exception of the Tazer hardtail – drop dead gorgeous bike and nice and short – just too rigid for my old bones 😥 .

Oh, and at the risk of being a little cheeky, I have two nice tiny frames on a well known auction site at the mo’ (Inbred and Tazer) 😉 . Everything has to go – I’ve found my perfect partner 😆

elaineanne
    Free Member

lol AT LONG LAST SOMEONE IS MY HEIGHT HURRAY !!!!! (no offence like..
    ok i have a specialized hardtail which is 13 inch frame…..i dont ride it anymore as i upgraded to an orange five diva last year which is a short 14″ frame ….you can have long or short size frames in with the five diva… im just 5ft small…
    😉

cb
    5lab

as a serious suggestion, what about one of the kona kids bikes? they do a stinky in a 24″ wheel

failing that, speccy do womans bikes down to 13″

thebunk

Thanks for all your answers.

All of the hardtails suggested look to be a bit overbuilt for mrsbunks “wheels on the ground” style. Also, the 14″ mens frames (Bfe, Santa Cruz, On One) have quite similar measurements and geometry to her current frame, so she probably wouldn’t get much benefit from the change (though this is secondary to my need to fettle).

I think I’ll keep an eye out for a demo tiny full suss for her to try out, as there looks to be a few decent choices. Can’t imagine there are many demo bikes built up in her size though.

I still think there is a gap in the market for good quality not too hardcore light and agile hardtail in tiny size. Not in Orange though, cos then it would look the same as mine. Just, y’know, putting it out there…(*COUGH* Cy, *COUGH* Brant!)

Meanwhile, I’m going to spend the next few hours browsing through mamadirts impressive bike history!

epicsteve
    Free Member

I had a 14 inch inbred and found it very long..

The 14″ Inbred is pretty long. SWMBO is just over 5ft and it’s good fit on her, but does require a reasonably short stem and an in-line post. When I initially built it with a layback post she found it a tad too much of a stretch.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Is there not a 13″ Myka? Its seriously tiny

TiRed

Son1 rides a 14″ Kona Blast Deluxe. It has a fairly short effective top tube.

If you want TINY and FS, then how about a Stinky 2-4? I once recommended the kids range to a friend who is (a little) shorter than your wife.

I suspect that 14″ will fit her fine.

Blower
    Free Member

glynP – Member

Small SC chameleon crazy stand over and short top tube, we have a black one in the shop
    +1
    or a bfe

mamadirt
    Free Member

Meanwhile, I’m going to spend the next few hours browsing through mamadirts impressive bike history!

Enjoy!! 😉 I’m 5’2″ btw (long arms but pretty short legs 😕 ) – there may be one or two pics of me ‘on board’ in my fotopic somewhere. Give me a shout if I can help at all.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I say good luck & check measurements (not quoted size) before you buy. My girlfriend is 4’11” and she ended up getting a 13.5 inch Myka. She tried a lot of bikes before deciding on that & it was very difficult to find anything genuinely small enough. She should maybe have considered 24 inch wheels because the front end on such a small bike looks silly high to me.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Best tiny frame?’ is closed to new replies.