Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Best Singlespeed Kit?
  • hitman
    Free Member

Which are the best kits around? Is it worth paying more for a surly?
    Who do the best value cogs/chainrings?
    cheers

Unosprocket
    Free Member

When I started with the ss I used a cheap sprocket and had no end of trouble with the chain coming off,even with alot of chain tension after fitting Surly sprockets I've never had a chain come off even when the chain has been a little slack,I now run them on all of my ss steeds.
    Surly,Salsa and Black Spire all make good quality chainrings,don't skimp cos it really hurts when tackle meets stem 😯

hitman
    Free Member

many thanks uno – any links to good deals or any particular dealers to check out?

JxL
    Free Member

I used a Surly sprocket, as it is wider and thought will have less chance of damaging the hub.

igm
    samuri
    Free Member

shimano ones are fine. Never had any hub damage from one.

fauxbyfour
    Free Member

The whole point of a SS is that you bodge it out of stuff you already have lying around. The idea of a kit is soooo depressing!

crotchrocket
    Free Member

charliethebikemonger.com

hth

Earl
    Free Member

Slight hijack – Can you use a 9sp chain with these sprockets?

tomlevell

The whole point of a SS is that you bodge it out of stuff you already have lying around. The idea of a kit is soooo depressing!

Shit I've been doing it wrong all these years. I'd better start using crap that's lying around and is likely to fail due to it's age and bodgedness.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Earl – Member

Slight hijack – Can you use a 9sp chain with these sprockets?

No. Supposedly too narrow (though I have never tried.)
    I use a 7/8sp one which is the same width as a 3/32" but arguably weaker cos its designed to shift between cogs and has bevelled edges on the inside of the outer link.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Best Singlespeed Kit?’ is closed to new replies.