Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Best rockumentary?
  • chakaping
    Free Member

Not mockumentary, but what do you reckon is the best film about a band/musician?

I watched loudQUIETloud last night and it'd gone right to the top of my list, great film that really gets under the skin of the band members (Pixies) – drama, human conflict and really great music – with almost no posturing for the cameras.

failedengineer

The BBC Leonard Cohen documentary from a few years back was fab ….

tragically1969
    Free Member

Anvil !

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Oh, "Don't Look Back" I think.

Watching Bob Dylan going from being a slightly naive and eager protest singer to a more worldly-wise reclusive in just one tour.

The "meeting" with Donovan Leitch is just priceless… I like the way Dylan manages to convey absolute realisation of the staged pointlessness of it all, without so much as a single facial twitch.

mikey3
    Free Member

Was the pixies thing on any of the bbc channels,would,nt mind watching that,surfer rosa is one of my all time favs

warton
    Free Member

watch DIGG! Its about the dandy warholls and the Brian Jonestown Massacre. two bands who started off as friends, and quickly grew to hate each other as the Dandys become huge and jonestown didn't. mixed in with drug addiction, fights onstage and other stuff its a riveting watch…

that dandys song, not if you were the last junkie on earth(?) is about the Brian Jonestown lead singer…

MrWoppit
    Free Member

warton – Member

watch DIGG! Its about the dandy warholls and the Brian Jonestown Massacre. two bands who started off as friends, and quickly grew to hate each other as the Dandys become huge and jonestown didn't. mixed in with drug addiction, fights onstage and other stuff its a riveting watch…

that dandys song, not if you were the last junkie on earth(?) is about the Brian Jonestown lead singer…

+1.

Reminded me of a lyric from a Steely Dan song:

"You've been telling me you were a genius ever since you were seventeen,
    In all the time I've known you, I still don't know what you mean…"

vinnyeh

The Kids are Alright. Some classic scenes- Moons exploding drum kit, and John Entwistle shooting up his gold records with a machine gun spring to mind, as well as some great performances.

grievoustim
    Free Member

DIGG is very good

I'm not really a fen of theirs – but the Metallica one (some kind of MOnster?) is very good. A band falling apart, bring in some kind of therapist to help, therapist starts giving musical input. Its very Tap

There is also a good one about Wilco (think its called I am Trying to Break your heart). Follows the recording of the amazing Yankee Hotel Foxtrot album, and issues within the band at the same time. Seems the best docs are about bands that don't get on very well with each other

JtotheP68
    Free Member

depends on your musical taste, but I enjoyed The Future is Unwritten about Joe Strummer/The Clash a lot, very emotional at the end. We Jam Econo about the Minutemen is good also.

No Distance Left to Run about Blur is supposed to be very good.

Probably the best one I've seen is the Beatles Anthology DVD collection, very comprehensive, but you need to like The Beatles.

thomthumb
    Free Member

westway to the world – the clash. ace.

whats the julian temple sex pistols one? thats got some footage of sid and you realise he was just a kid.

BoardinBob

Metallica: A Year And A Half In The Life Of

both parts were excellent

Some Kind Of Monster also worth watching just to see how far they've fallen

warton
    Free Member

aye, i'd second Westway to the world, forgot about that. brilliant

JtotheP68
    Free Member

Yeah, Westway to the World is great.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Just remembered…

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

The Decline of Western Civilization – look no further!

JtotheP68
    Free Member

Mr Woppit, he said not mockumentary.

chakaping
    Free Member

Pixies doc was on Sky Arts HD I think. Really didn't need to see Black Francis' chubby folds in HD, I tell you!

Some Kind Of Monster was fascinating. Made being in the world's biggest metal band look about as exciting as going to a quarterly planning meeting.

matthewjb
    Free Member

The Blur one was on tv the other night. Definitely worth a watch.

The Pixies one was also on BBC tv a few months back.

Blur seem to have got through the stage of hating each other and are now good friends.

The Pixies seemed on the point of exploding all the way through. I liked the detail of the bass player having to travel in a separate bus.

ChrisL

There seems to be a trend at the moment where the songs in concert DVDs are interspersed with interviews and other documentary touches. I've got DVDs from PJ Harvey, Pearl Jam and Wilco that all do this. Does anyone else find it annoying? I like DVDs of live music and band documentaries can be good too but mixing the two just disrupts the flow of the music.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

JtotheP68 – Member

Mr Woppit, he said not mockumentary.

That was a mockumentary?

I have always thought that the world was unkind…

Lifer
    Free Member

Hotel California about the singer songwriter scene in the 60s/70s is great, The Last Waltz is brilliant too but more of a live DVD. There was a great Neil Young one on BBC a while ago too.

On a similar note Gonzo – The Life and Work of Dr Hunter S. Thompson is one of the best films I've seen, and he was more rock and roll than most musicians!

grievoustim
    Free Member

The Decline Of Western Civilisation Pt II is very funny – the 80s hair metal one

Also "Standing in the Shadows Of Motown" – all about the session musicians behind the motown sound is really good

Macinblack
    Free Member

BBC 4's Hawkwind documentary is a chuckle.

grahamt1980

Spinal Tap

noteeth
    Free Member

Fantastic.

JacksonPollock
    Free Member

Gimme Shelter – Rolling Stones
    Weekender – Flowered Up

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Why has no one mentioned "ABBA The Movie"

Ok, fair enough

NikNak7890
    Free Member

Iron Maiden's "Flight 666"

Kuco

Walk The Line.

yoshimi

Digg is good, but have you seen fearless freaks about the flaming lips- I know my username may make me seem biased but without doubt the best thing I've ever watched- the scene where stephen is shooting up and explaining his addiction is something that'll stay with me forever

wombat

"Control" is excellent…

white101

not film, but if you want a good book Crazy from the sun/heat? – Dave Lee Roth autobiog, read it and realised I've never lived.

eviljoe
    Free Member
    BillMC

'Incredible Journey' about the Who

slimtubing
    Free Member

not a big fan of them but Depeche Modes "108" is a great insight into the world of touring from the fans point of view. it documents the experiences of a few kids who won a chance to tour with the band and really captures how amped they are about it.

mudshark
    Free Member

The BBC Beefheart documentary – it's on youtube:

chakaping
    Free Member

Flaming Lips one sounds interesting.

For some reason I thought they'd knocked all the drugs on the head when/before they got popular.

I used to love their earlier stuff. Might dig In A Priest Driven Ambulance out for a listen this afternoon.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Best rockumentary?’ is closed to new replies.