Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Best road tyre?
  • aw
    Free Member

I was on continental GPS 4000s previously but LBS only had michellen pro4s…bloody tight on the rim and lost 3 tubes pinching them against the side wall.

I have swapped the rear but still have the front to do but thinking of buying another cont 4000 rather than pro4s

Also all these tyres are not exactly cheap! £40!

I have raptor skis on my other bike

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

A pair of GP4000s for £55 from wiggle. Job done and look no further.

aw
    Free Member

Thanks Niels…..much cheaper than £40 each pro4s I paid

lunge

I always think I am the lone GP4000s hater on STW. Horrible tyres IMO, I had no confidence in tem and thought they cut up easily as well. Right now I have Schwalbe Blizzards on my winter wheels (cheap, ok grip but very hard wearing) and Challenge Forte’s on my summer wheels (fast, grippy but a little delicate). I’d recommend either, both very good tyres in their own way.

bigG
    Free Member

GP4000s just didn’t work for me, didn’t like the feel or the number of flats. Now replaced with Pro4 endurance as I couldn’t get hold of any Krylion Carbons.

And I paid a helluva lot less than £40 a tyre for my Pro4s.

bol

Specialized S-works Turbo 24s are the best I’ve ever used. Fast, comfy, grippy and puncture resistant. Very easy to mount too.

boblo
    Free Member

Ultremo’s ….next!

brakes
    Free Member

GP4000s in 25c flavour.
    screw the expense.
    the greatest tyres to roll the earth.

brakes
    Free Member

Horrible tyres IMO, I had no confidence in them

in what respect? grip?

dantsw13

My frame is too tight for 25’s on the rear due to the location of the front mech bolt. Is there any issue running a 25F/23R combo?

brakes
    Free Member

your back wheel will go faster than your front wheel so you’ll end up going backwards

atlaz
    Free Member

I’ve got Schwalbe Durano and Michelin Kyrilion on my road bikes. The former are a little more comfortable but the latter are quicker and so far quite hard wearing (puncture resistant supposedly). I’d happily buy both again

djc1245
    Free Member

I’ve been quite impressed with some Duranos, never had a puncture with them…although I will now I’ve said that

madxela
    Free Member

+1 for GP4000’s
    on the road feel more confident on 23c ones of these on my roadbike than the 35c cross tyres!

never had a flat that wasn’t my fault (lax tyre pressure = pinch flats)

Kryton57

bigG – Member
    GP4000s just didn’t work for me, didn’t like the feel or the number of flats. Now replaced with Pro4 endurance as I couldn’t get hold of any Krylion Carbons.

And I paid a helluva lot less than £40 a tyre for my Pro4s.

+1, £46 a pair…

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Veloflex Records

lunge

Brakes, horrible in that I felt they lacked grip both under braking and when accelerating in both wet and dry. They also felt a bit dead and didn’t give much feedback from the road. I tried them from 90 – 130 PSI and just couldn’t get them right. They’re now on my dads bike, he loves them unsuprisingly.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ultremo’s in summer, blizzards in winter.

Blizzards are 25mm, ultremos 23mm, but shimano/stans rims respectively mean they come up about the same size (i.e. about what a 25mm tyere should be).

I’ve had GP4000’s twice, they’re average. They don’t feel as nice as the ultremos, and cut up worse than the blizzards and cost about as much as a pair of both together (ultremos cost me £40, blizzards £15, GP400 £55)!

Dales_rider
    Free Member

The best road tyres are what you bought, mind you did pay £34 too much for them.
    As for tight, not on my rims and I have 5 different sets of wheels they are on. Dont evenb use tyre levers to mount them.

brakes
    Free Member

horrible in that I felt they lacked grip both under braking and when accelerating in both wet and dry. They also felt a bit dead and didn’t give much feedback from the road.

fair enough. you really need faith in tyres to ride well on them, (regardless of opinion) and if you don’t have that, use something else.

aw
    Free Member

The Pro4s I have are the folding endurance type…I bought them from a LBS so may expalin the hefty price tag of £40 each or £80 per pair!

I have them now so will use them and I must admitt rifing to work today they felt Ok in the wet. I had one puncture thus far but this maybe because I used an old tube as I ran out of tubes when fitting them originalyl and had to steal a tube from my single speed!

Previously I had no complaints regarding GPS 4000s but just could not source them from the 3 LBS I rang the afternoon befoe the sportive once i discovered the rear tyre was pretty much shreaded…

Gary_M
    Free Member

Ultremo’s ….next!

eh well ‘next’ will be the new schwalbe tyre coming out next year ‘the one’.

Anyway I use Vittoria Open Corsa cx, great tyre, lovely feel, doesn’t last that long though.

Edric64
    Free Member

Gatorskins have been on my Audax bike for years ,few punctures even when rough stuffing and grip well

bigG
    Free Member

aw – Member
    The Pro4s I have are the folding endurance type…I bought them from a LBS so may explain the hefty price tag of £40 each or £80 per pair!

Paid about 50% of that for a pair of 25c folding pro4 endurance from an online retailer. If you’re paying £80 you’ve been had.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Pro4 endurance for me. done 2000 miles on mine and they’ve been awesome

chakaping
    Free Member

Could anybody comment on how the Pro 4 Endurance compare to Pro 3 Service Course for grip?

🙂

aw
    Free Member

£80 is what you pay at the LBS I am afraid…tried 3 and they were all within £1 of each other…

Pro4 Endurance are looking pretty good for me thus far…

mattsccm
    Free Member

Pro 4 endurance for me. Easy fit on Mavic Rims.
    Mate has them and Pro 4 service courses and reckons the SC wear much faster.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Best road tyre?’ is closed to new replies.